Maui is free!

I agree. Why the NCAA can’t get players cleared before a season starts is beyond me.
We have a long history of them doing that to us. Maybe it happens elsewhere, but it seems like an annual thing with UT in some sport. My money is on Thorton or Castle next year. Probably Castle since he's the bigger need.

Reactions: EZE
I hope Maui does good today. There is a lot of pressure on him to succeed. I don’t know that he can live up to the expectations UT fans have about him. He better hit a HR every at bat and never miss a ball to live up to the expectations and hopefully we all know that is not possible. He will have good and bad games just like everyone else. Hopefully today is not a bad one or some will turn on him fast.

I hope Maui does good today. There is a lot of pressure on him to succeed. I don’t know that he can live up to the expectations UT fans have about him. He better hit a HR every at bat and never miss a ball to live up to the expectations and hopefully we all know that is not possible. He will have good and bad games just like everyone else. Hopefully today is not a bad one or some will turn on him fast.

I agree to an extent, but there genuinely does seem to be a lot of excitement for Maui and I think fans sympathize with this BS that he has been put through and are just happy to see him play, even if he has a bad game today. Maybe I’m naive, but I think our fans will give him the benefit of the doubt and time.

I agree to an extent, but there genuinely does seem to be a lot of excitement for Maui and I think fans sympathize with this BS that he has been put through and are just happy to see him play, even if he has a bad game today. Maybe I’m naive, but I think our fans will give him the benefit of the doubt and time.
I’d like to think that too, but if he were to boot two grounders today, I’m sure the normal drive by posters will show up. True fans will give him time…to your point.

I already bought an Ahuna jersey just so I can light it on fire if he fails to live up to my expectations.

Reactions: Volprofch05
6-4-3, I think that is mine. Not the faithful on here but the drive bys on here and other social media. There has to be an unreal expectation on the kid to succeed today.

And I think the more I listen to these guys talk on Stache Talk about the pressure they are under and the mental stress, I cringe on the way we talk about them and treat them. It is like at times there are people who lose the fact that these are young men, human beings, and not just numbers on a jersey. I heard a couple of players talking the other day and one said I just want to be called by my name and not some nickname someone gave me. That never clicked with me. Some of them are never referred to by their real name anymore but just a nickname.

Reactions: GBOTango
Great points! We know we have several baseball trolls still waiting in the weeds from the opening weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volstylexx
What will happen to Jaslove? Haven't checked the numbers, but he doesn't seem to strike out, got a couple clutch hits, but batting avg is probably in the 200's, and he seems fine defensively at SS. Would the coaches consider moving him to 2nd and bumping C-Mo or does he hit the bench?

Expectations are the root of disappointment. I’m just glad to see him play, and hope he’s received wise counsel from those around him to just go play the game he loves.

Reactions: txbo
I heard a couple of players talking the other day and one said I just want to be called by my name and not some nickname someone gave me. That never clicked with me. Some of them are never referred to by their real name anymore but just a nickname.

Wow…..that is really sad. 😢

Unfortunately, you may be right. There are a lot of trolls, impatient people, and unknowledgeable people on this board. But the BaseVols forum is my favorite on Volnation since there are many long-time and knowledgeable baseball fans on here, not to mention you. Your behind-the-scenes comments and insights have added much to this board. I love Stache Talk. Much more good-natured humor here than any other forum.

This is baseball and Maui is human. I'm sure there are a lot of us (hopefully a great majority) who will let give him the time he needs to blend in with the Team. And if he falters, we will understand that is not because he is not trying. I've heard Tony V's assessment of him and I believe CTV despite him being a C+ coach. I hope the young man has fun and succeeds to his expectations. I doubt if anyone can meet expectations of some on this board; they are all-knowing. I think we are blessed to have Maui.

GBO!

There's a lot on this site that just love the VOLS and don't really know the game of baseball. Not any other sport when falling to get a hit 70 precent is still considered being among the best.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
What will happen to Jaslove? Haven't checked the numbers, but he doesn't seem to strike out, got a couple clutch hits, but batting avg is probably in the 200's, and he seems fine defensively at SS. Would the coaches consider moving him to 2nd and bumping C-Mo or does he hit the bench?

Well, Jazzy is hitting at DH tonight, so he's still in the mix

edit: smart move by the coaching staff, Jaslove did well in a tough situation and is rewarded by remaining in the lineup

LOL, I am 57 years old and was born with ataxic cerebral palsy because I weighed 1 pound and 11 ounces at birth and I was born 10 weeks premature.

So I am just happy to see a sun rise and a sun set each day.

Go Big Orange!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Was teasing, …kinda. 😇
Definitely stick with whatever works for you. And thank you for sharing your condition. Had to go look it up:
Ataxic cerebral palsy - Wikipedia
Every day, indeed.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Some great points/discussion. As far as fan message boards in general and VOLS message boards in particular, The Baseball Forum (THIS FORUM) is among the best their is, if not THE BEST as far as trolls (or lack thereof). Sure we have the drive byes, but by in large it doesn't come close to the many other forums in the sports world.

Love, love, love this forum and the quality of info, humor, knowledge, and fun it brings.

There's a lot on this site that just love the VOLS and don't really know the game of baseball. Not any other sport when falling to get a hit 70 precent is still considered being among the best.
Yep. 30% will have you on the bench in most games. .300 over a twenty year career in the MLB will get you to the HOF. 😉

“UT fans”‘aren’t a collective entity. There are INDIVIDUAL idiots with said expectations. No fan with basic reasoning tho.

6-4-3, I think that is mine. Not the faithful on here but the drive bys on here and other social media. There has to be an unreal expectation on the kid to succeed today.

And I think the more I listen to these guys talk on Stache Talk about the pressure they are under and the mental stress, I cringe on the way we talk about them and treat them. It is like at times there are people who lose the fact that these are young men, human beings, and not just numbers on a jersey. I heard a couple of players talking the other day and one said I just want to be called by my name and not some nickname someone gave me. That never clicked with me. Some of them are never referred to by their real name anymore but just a nickname.

In all of my (my kids’) interactions with guys on the team, they’ve all been very gracious, and I just want them to succeed for them. Yes, I’m enjoying the ride too — don’t get me wrong. But the older I get, the more I see them as just college kids… and while I want them to win, I’m mostly just glad that they can be an inspiration to my kids and give me another excuse to cheer for the Big Orange.

I know they put a lot of pressure on themselves, and there’s no escaping that. But I hope they feel more support than pressure from fans… it’s not everybody, but I think there are a lot of people like me out there.

VN Store

Back