Matthew Butler a Mel Kiper sleeper at DT

YankeeVol

Veni Vidi Vici
Matthew Butler, Tennessee

Want a Day 3 pick who will play a long time in the league? That's Butler. I love his tape, and he rarely left the field for the Volunteers the past two seasons. At 6-foot-4, 297 pounds, he can split double-teams (or blow them up) and is incredibly disruptive (seven sacks from the interior since 2020). Turn on the film from the Alabama game to see him wreak havoc on the Crimson Tide, even in a blowout loss.

And like I said, his stamina and consistent effort is rare for 300-pounders in the NFL. He's not going to be an every-down player early in his career, but he has the tools to get there.

Projection: I have a Round 4 grade on Butler, but I still feel like I might be underrating him. You can bet I'll be mentioning him in my draft grades in two weeks.

Butler is a grinder - stuck with the program when the program sucked, adapted to new coaching as a senior, and played an insane number of downs because the team needed him. Smart guy. good leader, and great teammate. Some NFL team is going to be really happy to get him.

Kiper has him as the first Vol off the board, going at 82 to the Falcons. Velus at 90 to the Titans.

This is from the McShay/Kiper three round mock released this AM. Obviously nothing earth shattering, but gives you a rough feel/idea of when these two could potentially hear their names called.

Reactions: Volnatic
Kiper has him as the first Vol off the board, going at 82 to the Falcons. Velus at 90 to the Titans.

This is from the McShay/Kiper three round mock released this AM. Obviously nothing earth shattering, but gives you a rough feel/idea of when these two could potentially hear their names called.
Velus to the Titans is my dream scenario.

Matthew Butler, Tennessee

Want a Day 3 pick who will play a long time in the league? That's Butler. I love his tape, and he rarely left the field for the Volunteers the past two seasons. At 6-foot-4, 297 pounds, he can split double-teams (or blow them up) and is incredibly disruptive (seven sacks from the interior since 2020). Turn on the film from the Alabama game to see him wreak havoc on the Crimson Tide, even in a blowout loss.

And like I said, his stamina and consistent effort is rare for 300-pounders in the NFL. He's not going to be an every-down player early in his career, but he has the tools to get there.

Projection: I have a Round 4 grade on Butler, but I still feel like I might be underrating him. You can bet I'll be mentioning him in my draft grades in two weeks.

I would like to see my Atlanta Falcons draft Butler to eventually replace Grady Jarrett.

Butler is a late round pick that becomes a roster staple. A guy that starts most games in his career, does his job, and you likely rarely hear about. Good way to make a living.

Butler is a late round pick that becomes a roster staple. A guy that starts most games in his career, does his job, and you likely rarely hear about. Good way to make a living.
You're right about everything except "late round guy".

He's probably going in the late 3rd.

Velus to the Titans is my dream scenario.
Not mine I'd never wish the Titans on a WR....the last time the Titans ran a WR friendly offence they were the Oilers.

Not hating on the Titans, they have just always been a run oriented offense. When u think of great Titans offensive players the names that come to mind are folks like Eddie George, Steve McNair, Chris Johnson, and if course the current beast in the backfield. I mean there was Derrick Mason..most of the rest of the top WRs in team history we're all Oilers. AJ Brown is number 16 all time yards in just 3 seasons...think about that.

Last edited:
Not mine I'd never wish the Titans on a WR....the last time the Titans ran a WR friendly offence they were the Oilers.

Not hating on the Titans, they have just always been a run oriented offense. When u think of great Titans offensive players the names that come to mind are folks like Eddie George, Steve McNair, Chris Johnson, and if course the current beast in the backfield. I mean there was Derrick Mason..most of the rest of the top WRs in team history we're all Oilers. AJ Brown is number 16 all time yards in just 3 seasons...think about that.
As average as Tannehill is he's the best passing QB we have had since Moon

Just two years ago we had two thousand yard receivers. Velus would be used appropriately.

As average as Tannehill is he's the best passing QB we have had since Moon

Just two years ago we had two thousand yard receivers. Velus would be used appropriately.
I'd hope with AJJ Brown there Velus would tear it up in the slot. Honestly, with the Titans, I worry less about their scheme or QB or coaching and more about the curse. They are to WR's what the Browns are to QB's.... it is where young promising WRs do well for a couple of years and then get hurt.. Every WR they draft for the last decade with the exception of a few has been a trainwreck. In Cleveland, I think it's the incompetence of the organization. In Nashville, I think its a curse put on the team by some really angry fan in Houston in 1998

I mean look at it Derrick Mason is easily the most accomplished Titans WR of all time. But, he spent half of his most productive years in Baltimore(8 in TN 6 in Baltimore). I wish the Titans all the best but for some reason, their WR room has bad juju man. And UT players that go there seem to implode their carers not long after.

Last edited:
I'd hope with AJJ Brown there Velus would tear it up in the slot. Honestly, with the Titans, I worry less about their scheme or QB or coaching and more about the curse. They are to WR's what the Browns are to QB's.... it is where young promising WRs do well for a couple of years and then get hurt.. Every WR they draft for the last decade with the exception of a few has been a trainwreck. In Cleveland, I think it's the incompetence of the organization. In Nashville, I think its a curse put on the team by some really angry fan in Houston in 1998

I mean look at it Derrick Mason is easily the most accomplished Titans WR of all time. But, he spent half of his most productive years in Baltimore(8 in TN 6 in Baltimore). I wish the Titans all the best but for some reason, their WR room has bad juju man. And UT players that go there seem to implode their carers not long after.

I think the entire franchised is cursed. Don't think WR's are cursed. Just had bad QB's and absolutely no WR talent ever. Outside of Derrick Mason and AJ there hasn't been anyone special.

I think the entire franchised is cursed. Don't think WR's are cursed. Just had bad QB's and absolutely no WR talent ever. Outside of Derrick Mason and AJ there hasn't been anyone special.
Nah the Titans have had great players at pretty much every position fairly consistently. Except WR and QB.. since Mcnairs days. They have had some Good guys at QB and WR but just good (might get you to the playoffs) ones.

Loved what Kiper said about Butler........Shows what happens when (some) guys use all their eligibility. Always root for guys that take academics seriously as well..................which is odd, because all I cared about was "c's get degrees.";)

Reactions: HeadVol77

VN Store

Back