Matt Campbell (Iowa State)

Poll: Hire Matt Campbell?

• Yes

Votes: 575 82.1%
  • No

Votes: 124 17.7%

• Total voters
Just keep it classy in here Cyclones. I am a UT alumni and have been living in Ames and working for ISU for the last 5 years. I brag to many on here about y’all’s fan base. Live up to the rep. Let’s all get together about the proper way to pronounce Nevada. And do what we can to get Prohm out of there.
My SNCO while I was overseas was from Tennessee and is a UT fan. so I will root for UT. but I just get a kick out of schools and fanbases always saying he'll come here for x amount of money, or the why would he stay at ISU when he could win the NC here like ISU didn't just finish top 10 and with an outside shot into the CFP.

My SNCO while I was overseas was from Tennessee and is a UT fan. so I will root for UT. but I just get a kick out of schools and fanbases always saying he'll come here for x amount of money, or the why would he stay at ISU when he could win the NC here like ISU didn't just finish top 10 and with an outside shot into the CFP.
It’s a Tennessee board. Why are you surprised? Hell if you stick around long enough you’ll see someone ask why we didn’t hire Meyer or Saban instead of Heupel. Campbell I feel is comfortable where he is now, anytime a major opening comes though he’s going to at least get a call and see if he would consider it. I don’t see him leaving ISU for less than an ideal situation and idk if he would consider it even then. I don’t think anyone can imagine ISU being a National power ever but at the same time no one could imagine Clemson being a National power years ago.

It's Iowa State. Love Coach Campbell, but if he stays at Iowa State what exactly do you think his legacy will be? He's not going to win a NC there.

Winningest coach in ISU history? Blah. Big 12 champs? Blah. Make the FBS playoff? Not likely. Retire comfortably? Absolutely.

You're right, it's not all about money. And no matter what he "builds from scratch", it won't scratch the surface of what coaches who win in the SEC achieve...and earn. Probably wise on his part to stay where he is. Rare to find a HC who knows where his ceiling is.

Nothing wrong with him being comfortable where he's at. I think it's going to be harder and harder for SEC and other high expectation P5 programs to lure good coaches away from stable positions. G5 schools are paying close to 2-3 million MC was making 4-5 mil so is another 2-3 mil worth uprooting the family, having the media up your azz daily and possibly getting fired if you only average 8-9 wins a year?

Reactions: BDP!
It’s a combination of coaching and talent. If it were true that “any coach with better talent beats a great coach with lessor talent most of the time,” Pruitt would have won many more of the games he lost. There are very few HS players who just walk on the field and play at top 20 P5 level. They have to be developed, and coaches have to put them in a position to use their talent to its highest potential.
The last two NFL drafts, the Vols have had two players drafted total.
Trey Smith this year will make three. You vastly overestimate our roster talent.
Just because a player signs with the Vols, it does not make him a more talented player.
Nor does stars or smiley faces awarded to children in high school.
S&C I understand. Anyone can be made bigger, stronger, and with more stamina.
All schools do that. From worst to first, not enough difference to win many games.
How does a HC "develop" a player?? He cannot make him faster, more athletic, increase mental capacity or drive. A player can be taught what to do on a specific play. That is coaching. A player can be taught position technique. That is coaching.
It is always up to the player to beat the man across the line. Best man wins.
The team that loses the most match ups usually loses the game .Best talent wins.
HC cannot "develop" a player into something that he is not. He can only be coached to the limit of ability. Overused cliché is overused.

Reactions: Perspective
It’s a combination of coaching and talent. If it were true that “any coach with better talent beats a great coach with lessor talent most of the time,” Pruitt would have won many more of the games he lost. There are very few HS players who just walk on the field and play at top 20 P5 level. They have to be developed, and coaches have to put them in a position to use their talent to its highest potential.

The thing about coaches and talent is a little misleading . Yes, Great coaches out coach and win against better talented teams all the time but with that being said look at Les Miles, Ed Orgeron, Kirby Smart and Gene Chizik for example. These are not and were not great coaches imo but they had great talent and looked what they accomplished. Great coaches successfully compete anywhere they go and they are able to develop the talent they have. Average coaches that recruit very well or inherit talent can be very successful in spite of their abilities to coach or develop what they have just on talent alone.

...HC cannot "develop" a player into something that he is not. He can only be coached to the limit of ability. Overused cliché is overused.

If you dislike the word "develop," I can use "teach, coach, train, lead, inspire, motivate" or whatever. It doesn't matter.

Whether you call it maximizing the potential that already exists in the player or I call it "developing" the player is semantics. Either way, coaches absolutely can make football players better at the game.

You made an account on another team’s message board for THIS? Now what? 🤨
nah made the account when it was funny seeing you guys thinking you could just pay Matt Campbell $$$ and get him to coach UT, now you guys have a runner up Scott Frost.

has already turned down the NFL a few times.. From this interview sounds like he would rather coach his hometown HS team then in the NFL

He’s done a great job at ISU. Seems like a genuine guy. Players obviously love him. And he seems to love being at ISU.

Would have welcomed him to UT, but I think Heupel may prove to be the better option. Personally, I enjoy watching ISU embarrass some of the “big boys” on their schedule. But the bar, and the goals at UT are simply higher. I think Heupel relishes that challenge.

Go Vols.

Reactions: VolNExile
nah made the account when it was funny seeing you guys thinking you could just pay Matt Campbell $$$ and get him to coach UT, now you guys have a runner up Scott Frost.
Note Grey Wolf’s reply. Maybe you can use it to learn how to adult.

Best wishes to Campbell and the Cyclones.

Reactions: Border Vol
Dude. I live in Ames, work for ISU, and have been a season ticket holder for years. I have bragged on your fan base numerous times. But you come on another teams site saying stuff like this and you just start to remind me of a Baylor fan when they had a good run for a couple years. Take it down a notch.

He’s done a great job at ISU. Seems like a genuine guy. Players obviously love him. And he seems to love being at ISU.

Would have welcomed him to UT, but I think Heupel may prove to be the better option. Personally, I enjoy watching ISU embarrass some of the “big boys” on their schedule. But the bar, and the goals at UT are simply higher. I think Heupel relishes that challenge.

Go Vols.
if the goals are to win your conference and possibly the NC the last few years have shown it is possible at ISU. we just had a a top 10 finish and are most likely a preseason top 10 team. you might have a better history, but that doesn't mean anything going forward. todays recruits weren't even born the last time UT was really relevant.

Agreed. But since we’re being realistic here, ISU has virtually no shot at an NC anytime soon. There is competing for your conference championship...which I think ISU can do...and then there is competing for an NC...which in all honesty I don’t think ISU has the horses to do. Rankings are subjective, but a 34-17 win over #25 Oregon doesn't scream “We’ve arrived” to me.

ISU is a solid team. Maybe a legit Top 10 team. But I’d take Bama, UGA, UF, TXAM, and maybe LSU over them head-to-head on any given day.

On a scale of 1 to "FML I still live in Iowa", how mad will you be when the rest the Big 12 is finally down enough for Campbell to get that conference championship, and he leaves the day after?

Yeah...once again. Now what? 😴

VN Store

Back