Marvin West on the off-season

Love the article!!! Personally, I think along with strength training, the best stay in shape activities are rugby, soccer, and racquetball. They promote stamina, agility, and speed.

So we spend more on our strength training and conditioning coach than Alabama does. Hope it pays off. To me this is where we can really close the gap in recruiting talent deficiency, which, if the rankings are to be believed, we are lagging behind about 5 other SEC teams at present.

Last edited:
I wish I had the opportunity to read a new artical by Mr. West every day. What a relief from what is being written today by the current media. I remember the "weight room" from the late 50s very well. It was about a 30 X 30 foot room with a couple of benches, one squatting station, and a few dumb-bells. I remember one day, Doug Atkins and Jack Stroud came into the room during the Summer to workout between their NFL seasons. Atkins was playing for the Bears and Stroud was playing for the Giants. The room was so small with the little equipment it containe, that the two of them almost filled the entire room. At that time, those were two of the largest humans I had ever see. Today, not many players are no larger than Atkins was in the late 50s. My how S&C ahs chanhed in the last 50 years. Thanks Mr. West for your articles. I miss not seeing them more often. A devoted fan.

hhahahaa the Boise St story is hilarious...imagine those idiots suing and going to be leaving a conference because they need the $1.8 Million in chump change they demanded years ago

lol I love the way he puts this. Hate that we ended up on the short-end of the stick like we did, but the way this is worded is humorous to me. :p
The dead period ended and late recruiting scrambles intensified. Tennessee spent time and money to seek the services of a youthful Chattanooga con man, a secret Auburn signee.

I wish I had the opportunity to read a new artical by Mr. West every day. What a relief from what is being written today by the current media. I remember the "weight room" from the late 50s very well. It was about a 30 X 30 foot room with a couple of benches, one squatting station, and a few dumb-bells. I remember one day, Doug Atkins and Jack Stroud came into the room during the Summer to workout between their NFL seasons. Atkins was playing for the Bears and Stroud was playing for the Giants. The room was so small with the little equipment it containe, that the two of them almost filled the entire room. At that time, those were two of the largest humans I had ever see. Today, not many players are no larger than Atkins was in the late 50s. My how S&C ahs chanhed in the last 50 years. Thanks Mr. West for your articles. I miss not seeing them more often. A devoted fan.
AMEN to all the above. Marvin West is always a treat to read.

My coffee was spewed upon first glance at this quote: "During the excitement shortage, Boise State is suing its conference, the Mountain West." The man can carve a sculpture with ink. Marvin, I know you read these forums, so please consider reaping the best of your quips through the decades and put them in book form. The collection would be a best seller in TN!

VN Store

Back