Marvin West on our new staff

CJH put a staff together that helps him to overcome the challenges of the SEC as a first year coach. A defensive staff that has experience in recruiting and gamedays. To me that was a sign that he is willing to put people in a position and let them do their job unlike the last two staffs. Dabo did the same thing at Clemson, surround yourself with people who are smarter than you and go play ball. CJH can focus on offense while knowing the defense is taken care of.

Can I get a "Hell Yeah" !!! :p There should be No reason for us NOT to be able to win big games w/such great coaches on board to bring the TN Vols back into the national spotlight. Seems like recruits should be lining up to put their signature on the dotted line to come learn to play football under these coaches at UT.

I read the title and thought we hired a coach named Marvin West

Ha ha, well you would if you live outside of the Knoxville area. Back in the day, he was one of the most respected writers about the Vols. He worked for the News Sentinel back when it was owned locally before it became the rag it is now, especially after being bought up by USA Today and before Snark Adams was put in charge of the sports pages. Now, he is writing, as far as I can tell, pretty much freelance. Marvin is a Tennessee alumni, and one of the few writers I can trust.

Last edited:
Can I get a "Hell Yeah" !!! :p There should be No reason for us NOT to be able to win big games w/such great coaches on board to bring the TN Vols back into the national spotlight. Seems like recruits should be lining up to put their signature on the dotted line to come learn to play football under these coaches at UT.

200w.gif

It definitely ended up better than I expected on the defensive side. My only disappointment would be Willie Martinez.

Well, with as many coaches who have been through our revolving door, we were bound to get one recycled through at this point. Just as Pruitt recycled Chaney and Ansley. Butch fired him, but at that point, a few of us were hopeful Butch was making the right call. Hopefully, he proves to work better under new management.

Uhhh... No? I gave out way too many Hell Yeahs before with Kiffen, Dooley and Jones. I got em in a steel plated box with multiple padlocks, and I threw away the keys. When they start landing promising recruits that win games, and manage to win convincingly at a shock the world rate? I will go borrow a blowtorch and melt the damn things off. There are about thirty of them on there, so it will take awhile.

It definitely ended up better than I expected on the defensive side. My only disappointment would be Willie Martinez.

Willie got a bad rap for his UGA DC days. He's a solid position coach lifer... if he's our weakest link, the defense is in good shape. He brings experience which is a good thing.

Well, with as many coaches who have been through our revolving door, we were bound to get one recycled through at this point. Just as Pruitt recycled Chaney and Ansley. Butch fired him, but at that point, a few of us were hopeful Butch was making the right call. Hopefully, he proves to work better under new management.

Tennessee, the Green New Deal of College football, we recycle in Ktown and don’t you forget it

CJH put a staff together that helps him to overcome the challenges of the SEC as a first year coach. A defensive staff that has experience in recruiting and gamedays. To me that was a sign that he is willing to put people in a position and let them do their job unlike the last two staffs. Dabo did the same thing at Clemson, surround yourself with people who are smarter than you and go play ball. CJH can focus on offense while knowing the defense is taken care of.
I thought the last coach would let the offense ball out, but he was too bull headed to get out of his own way.

His secondary got torched at UCF too.
Last years stats on UCF defense are misleading when 8 players opt out on the defensive side of the ball, including one DB starter. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but something to maybe watch with the talent he has here vs. UCF.

Remember, you must have big time player also.

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood

Hope springs eternal!!

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I still worry about the play calling w/ Banks, but it's a solid staff across the board. The MI LB coach really was a nice feather in the cap to complete the staff. They should be able to come in and build great relationships in recruiting. On offense, it's what Heupel does well so no issues with him bringing the crew. As long as we can keep the core of the roster in place, the schedule is soft enough to where 6-6 or 7-5 is a legit possibility. That gets us back under some sort of foundation to build upon anyways.

Reactions: Orange_Crush

VN Store

Back