Marvin opines on the loss and our $5 million coach

TN needs a coach that will coddle and cosset his underperforming roster. Maybe Buzz will come back and take another stab at it.

Not sure you understand the definition of mediocrity…spent more time ranked Top 25 than not, out of 350 teams, so he’s spent majority of his time in the top 95%, but sure, that’s mediocre lol.
Once again and you know it. It doesn't mean much to be ranked in regular season if you can't get past week 2 in the tourney. But I'll give you Pumpers one thing. If you throw out the 4 losses we'd be undefeated.

Once again and you know it. It doesn't mean much to be ranked in regular season if you can't get past week 2 in the tourney. But I'll give you Pumpers one thing. If you throw out the 4 losses we'd be undefeated.
To make the tourney as an at large you have to be pretty good during the regular season, thought that was common knowledge, maybe not…rather have Frank Martin as head coach?

Only one team out of 325+ can be ranked #1 in the country. But it “doesn’t mean much”?

2). That’s not at all what the OP said, Football Poster.

“Don’t know where all these crazies have come from, but I hate being run off the forum by these guys spewing over the top trollish negativity. If you can’t have a reasonable discussion without mentioning CRB’s salary or making over the top insults of the staff, team, or individual players then please move on to one of the 10 other threads where like minded folks will welcome your venting.”

It's called satire with a touch of sarcasm, sport. I looked over the thread, and it seems y'all want a safe place where there is no negative posting about Barnes.

I'm not at the place where I want Barnes fired or anything of the sort, but he is on a very negative trajectory, and his throwing Fulkerson under the bus in the press, along with the usual take-no-blame-whatsoever surliness is wearing very thin. There is a common path now where players come to UT, show early promise, then seem to have that initiative and assertiveness on the floor coached out of them. Same thing happened in football with Fulmer, especially under Sanders and Chief as OC/DC. Players would, in Fulmerspeak 'fail to develop'. I am seeing a lot of parallels between the 2000s Fulmer and Barnes after Grant/Schofield. I hope Barnes pulls out of this and makes the final 4, but he is a pretty old head at this point, and frankly not many people can radically alter their approach late in their career.

If that is 'trollish' or overly negative, maybe the 'Reasonable' thread is a better place for you.

TN needs a coach that will coddle and cosset his underperforming roster. Maybe Buzz will come back and take another stab at it.

Naah. How about get on them hard in practice and in the gym, but try not to throw players under the bus at pressers. If Barnes needs a good example, try watching some Heupel pressers. That guy has never attacked a player in the press, and I am sure as anything he gets all over them in practice. You know....like a mature coach. Barnes is acting more like Pruitt of "I need to get 25 new players in here" fame.

Last edited:
It's called satire with a touch of sarcasm, sport. I looked over the thread, and it seems y'all want a safe place where there is no negative posting about Barnes.

I'm not at the place where I want Barnes fired or anything of the sort, but he is on a very negative trajectory, and his throwing Fulkerson under the bus in the press, along with the usual take-no-blame-whatsoever surliness is wearing very thin. There is a common path now where players come to UT, show early promise, then seem to have that initiative and assertiveness on the floor coached out of them. Same thing happened in football with Fulmer, especially under Sanders and Chief as OC/DC. Players would, in Fulmerspeak 'fail to develop'. I am seeing a lot of parallels between the 2000s Fulmer and Barnes after Grant/Schofield. I hope Barnes pulls out of this and makes the final 4, but he is a pretty old head at this point, and frankly not many people can radically alter their approach late in their career.

If that is 'trollish' or overly negative, maybe the 'Reasonable' thread is a better place for you.

Naah. How about get on them hard in practice and in the gym, but try not to throw players under the bus at pressers. If Barnes needs a good example, try watching some Heupel pressers. That guy has never attacked a player in the press, and I am sure as anything he gets all over them in practice. You know....like a mature coach. Barnes is acting more like Pruitt of "I need to get 25 new players in here" fame.

Why is this a debate? He’s done this for years. Players know it. But just something else for fans to complain about.

Doubt the administration are formulating their firing plans based on the opinions of negative trolls on a message board. Coach Majors used to comment on the negativity prior to Al Gore inventing the interwebs
Found a guy who wanted every coach we fired to get a year or more to correct the ship.

Reactions: VolInNW
Found a guy who wanted every coach we fired to get a year or more to correct the ship.
Nope as I’m a fan not an administrator at UT. If any of their employees (coaches) aren’t meeting their standards then I fully support the administration’s right to make changes. I also realize I’m not part of that process and don’t know everything going on behind the scenes so I don’t throw out uneducated opinions on the matter myself so I’m not your target insultee today

Yup, not a great tourney coach, nobody disputes that…doesn’t mean he’s not also a great coach and program builder too though.
I've always said he's a great program builder. said that from day 1. He is however mediocre in post season. What other HOF coach would you care to compare his last 15 years in post season to? Huggins? Bennet? Izzo? Calipari? Self?

I've always said he's a great program builder. said that from day 1. He is however mediocre in post season. What other HOF coach would you care to compare his last 15 years in post season to? Huggins? Bennet? Izzo? Calipari? Self?
His postseason success is less, doesn’t mean he’s not a HOF coach, not sure why that’s hard to grasp?

Why is this a debate? He’s done this for years. Players know it. But just something else for fans to complain about.

Just because a coach has "done this for years' doesn't mean it is the right thing to do, or the effective thing to do to take the program to the next level.

IMHO, Barnes likely has gone as far as he can go at Tennessee. Firing him. or allowing his contract to run, without a replacement lined up would be a disaster, so I in no way want to change at this time. However, I would be planning his succession. if I were Danny White I'd be blocking the plan out and starting the process.

Since we are Tennessee, however, we will wait until Barnes has cratered, undoing all of the excellent progress he has made since 2017-2018 to this year before we do anything, handing the new coach a mess, and likely a huge severance package to Barnes.

I tried to access the link and could not do so.

Can somebody give me a synopsis of the article if possible?

Thanks.

I don't knock Barnes for his coaching,I knock him for his recruiting. I was sucked in to believing we were signing 5* players and we were on our way.James is a good player but 14/62 shooting 3's gives me a sinking feeling.Chandler is good also but I don't see top point guard in USA. Hatfield is no 5* either IMO.I'm glad we have all these guys but we need to rethink what they are.Maybe Aidoo will help if he gets over kissing sickness. This is going to be a up down season,we just ain't as good as we thought we might be!

I don't knock Barnes for his coaching,I knock him for his recruiting. I was sucked in to believing we were signing 5* players and we were on our way.James is a good player but 14/62 shooting 3's gives me a sinking feeling.Chandler is good also but I don't see top point guard in USA. Hatfield is no 5* either IMO.I'm glad we have all these guys but we need to rethink what they are.Maybe Aidoo will help if he gets over kissing sickness. This is going to be a up down season,we just ain't as good as we thought we might be!

It will be interesting to see how that recruiting holds up now that Kim English has moved up. I don't see Barnes attracting players with his personality, and frankly his player development hasn't been great either.

Reactions: Native Orange
I’ve said Barnes needs to retire a few years ago. But my opinion isn’t popular on here. The same people that think every football coach we fired needs two or three more years will show up again when discussing canning him. Remember folks. Barnes wanted to bolt to UCLA.

And Barnes would have bolted for UCLA had they agreed to pay his buyout. Barnes is no saint - he is chasing the money like the rest of them. Is Barnes a good coach - yes. But his NCAAT record is pretty average. Barnes has had only two really good regular seasons at UT. The rest were average or below. Jury is still out on this season.

I’ve said Barnes needs to retire a few years ago. But my opinion isn’t popular on here. The same people that think every football coach we fired needs two or three more years will show up again when discussing canning him. Remember folks. Barnes wanted to bolt to UCLA.

Who do you want to replace him?

And Barnes would have bolted for UCLA had they agreed to pay his buyout. Barnes is no saint - he is chasing the money like the rest of them. Is Barnes a good coach - yes. But his NCAAT record is pretty average. Barnes has had only two really good regular seasons at UT. The rest were average or below. Jury is still out on this season.
I'd say UCLA made out OK....Cronin got them to the Final 4 last season and ranked 3rd in the nation today.

Reactions: patrick

VN Store

Back