Martin Methodist College to Join UT System?

BucksnortVol

USA Today is reporting that UT President, Randy Boyd and Martin Methodist College President, Mark La Branche have begun discussions to merge the two institutions. The merger of the two schools would expand the UT system's footprint into Middle Tennessee, Pulaski, where UT no longer has a presence since UT Nashville was merged into Tennessee State University. Boyd and La Branche agree that the merger will have to pass muster with both boards of trustees, receive a favorable nod from the state legislature, and be approved by the Tennessee Board of Higher Education, but that they view the merger's likelihood positively and hope to have the merger completed in 2021. The presidents agree that Martin's Methodist mission would easily fold into a Department of Religious Studies as was done at both UT Martin and UT Chattanooga when they joined the state system.
I hope it happens. UT has no Mid-State campus and MMC's Pulaski location is beautiful, expandable, and desirable.

Reactions: ATC_VOL
Probably needs a lot of study before the state bails out anymore more small colleges through merger, like Memphis did with Lambuth. Columbia State has satellites all over that area and Motlow State is close by. Plus, kids who live in that area get in-state tuition at Alabama Huntsville. Private college that doesn't provide professional licensure is probably a dying industry due to cost and the need for more employees with technical training and less people with useless B.A.s (me being one of them).

Probably needs a lot of study before the state bails out anymore more small colleges through merger, like Memphis did with Lambuth. Columbia State has satellites all over that area and Motlow State is close by. Plus, kids who live in that area get in-state tuition at Alabama Huntsville. Private college that doesn't provide professional licensure is probably a dying industry due to cost and the need for more employees with technical training and less people with useless B.A.s (me being one of them).

University of North Alabama in Florence also gives in-state tuition to students from Southern Middle TN.

200.gif

Very accurate. Nothing against this school but the number of small, rural, liberal arts college is going to drastically decrease across the country. I hope the Board is examining ALL of these schools in Tennessee together simultaneously as opposed to one at a time as they go under.

So ... Knoxville campus becomes ...
Martin Methodist Knoxville instead of UTK?

This should help us with any recruits named Martin.

... long as they are not Baptist.

Reactions: KennyMayne
USA Today is reporting that UT President, Randy Boyd and Martin Methodist College President, Mark La Branche have begun discussions to merge the two institutions. The merger of the two schools would expand the UT system's footprint into Middle Tennessee, Pulaski, where UT no longer has a presence since UT Nashville was merged into Tennessee State University. Boyd and La Branche agree that the merger will have to pass muster with both boards of trustees, receive a favorable nod from the state legislature, and be approved by the Tennessee Board of Higher Education, but that they view the merger's likelihood positively and hope to have the merger completed in 2021. The presidents agree that Martin's Methodist mission would easily fold into a Department of Religious Studies as was done at both UT Martin and UT Chattanooga when they joined the state system.
I hope it happens. UT has no Mid-State campus and MMC's Pulaski location is beautiful, expandable, and desirable.
Interesting move right now in the COVID environment when online learning looks like it may increase exponentially and on campus attendance could be falling soon

Not going to lie, when I first glanced at the thread title I thought it said "Martian" instead of Martin and I was like we're going galaxy wide.:)

VN Store

Back