Mark Campbell

orangetitanfan

I wonder how hard it would.be to lure Mark Campbell away from Union out in West Tennessee to replace Holly? He has a heck of a record.

I would go after Shea Ralph from UConn. Take Geno's top recruiter and asst. coach.

There ain't enough money. Ralph is Head Coach in Waiting at UConn. She knows Auriemma will be retiring in a couple of years and there is no question that the job is hers.

Reactions: sccshortstop
good call brassie...wouldn't doubt you being right on this...we'll see...and,

GO LADY VOLS!

I went to school for undergrad at Union and Coach Campbell is a helluva coach. We were always one of the top teams when in the NAIA, reaching the final 4 quite a few times and winning the championship 4-5 (maybe more?) times. They’ve done pretty well since moving to Division 2 a few years ago in the NCAAs as well, consistently being ranked in the top 25. And they do it all with mostly local talent from West TN. Not sure he could handle D1 though and not even sure he would want to at this point. He’s been at Union a long time.

Campbell's achievements are remarkable, but the question for LadyVol fans who would like to see him considered as the next head coach is to what extent do the skills and accomplishments at Div ll and Div lll transfer to Div l, particularly to a program with such historic success as Tennessee's?

Case in point that I'm most familiar with is Lisa Stone from when I lived in Eau Claire WI. She was the coach of the UWEC women's team and had great success, getting as far as the national championship game once, and routinely winning her conference and making the national tournament.

Her move to Div 1 (Drake, Wisconsin and now St. Louis) hasn't been a train wreck, but she hasn't achieved anywhere near the success she had earlier. In 8 years at Wisconsin, her team made the NCAA tournament once, and she was only 9 games above .500 when she left.

No idea whether Campbell would be a good choice or not, just pointing out that having a winning record at a small school might not have any bearing on what happens when you move up to Div l.

Reactions: madtownvol

VN Store

Back