Marcus Tatum has entered the transfer portal

OT is the 2nd most challenging position to play on offense, which is why real good ones are so hard to find. I know this will probably be an unpopular opinion, but losing MT is at the very least concerning....Look at our depth at that position...For those of you that believe OT and OG body types/skill sets are interchangeable, speak with an OL coach or former D1 olineman about how different the positions are....MT is the perfect height, but struggled his entire career to get above the 300 range until Coach Fitz got here...His opportunities were just limited. I do think he probably would've been alot better this season had he had the chance (not saying he is better than WM or DW)....Just saying he would have been a much improved player this year at 315 compared to when CBJ thrust him in there at 265..My selfish side wishes hed stay as a security valve....But I believe hes probably making the right choice for his future.

Last edited:
Reactions: MemphisVol77
OT is the 2nd most challenging position to play on offense, which is why real good ones are so hard to find. I know this will probably be an unpopular opinion, but losing MT is at the very least concerning....Look at our depth at that position...For those of you that believe OT and OG body types/skill sets are interchangeable, speak with an OL coach or former D1 olineman about how different the positions are....
He's too small for that position in the SEC

He's too small for that position in the SEC

He's 6-6 316.....he gained 20+ lbs since last season.....You're using the talking points on the knock on him before this season...The number 1 rated OT in the NFL, Tyron Smith, is listed at 6-5 312..

Fitz has got ahold of him. The kid is ready to play. I bet you a bologna sandwich he'll be on an NFL roster in 2021

Last edited:
Ubben already has an exit interview with Tatum for the Athletic. Great article and Tatum says that the coaches have supported him as a graduate transfer because it’s his best chance to play. Said coaches and athletic department have been tremendous helping him find the best opportunity. He also Talked about how great Pruitt and Friend are and how much he loves Pruitt as coach.

OT is the 2nd most challenging position to play on offense, which is why real good ones are so hard to find. I know this will probably be an unpopular opinion, but losing MT is at the very least concerning....Look at our depth at that position...For those of you that believe OT and OG body types/skill sets are interchangeable, speak with an OL coach or former D1 olineman about how different the positions are....MT is the perfect height, but struggled his entire career to get above the 300 range until Coach Fitz got here...His opportunities were just limited. I do think he probably would've been alot better this season had he had the chance (not saying he is better than WM or DW)....Just saying he would have been a much improved player this year at 315 compared to when CBJ thrust him in there at 265..My selfish side wishes hed stay as a security valve....But I believe hes probably making the right choice for his future.

You have to trim away the dead wood......you might not like it, but it's true.
Tatum has had over 3 years to prove he is able to play for us in one of the worst periods of our history---and he hasn't done it.

You have to trim away the dead wood......you might not like it, but it's true.
Tatum has had over 3 years to prove he is able to play for us in one of the worst periods of our history---and he hasn't done it.

He has played.....In fact, he's played and started alot over the last 3 years

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
He has played.....In fact, he's played and started alot over the last 3 years
Okay.....let me qualify my statements.....he has had ample opportunity to prove that he is SEC worthy....by playing well against SEC competition.

He has NOT been able to earn a starting role on an OL that is starting 2 true FR....

He is just not good enough to play WELL against SEC competition.

Okay.....let me qualify my statements.....he has had ample opportunity to prove that he is SEC worthy....by playing well against SEC competition.

He has NOT been able to earn a starting role on an OL that is starting 2 true FR....

He is just not good enough to play WELL against SEC competition.

Let me restate a few points I made in the previous post. I said: WM and DW are better than MT. They were at least even with him this season. And when you have a player that's even, you'll go with the younger player every time.

Look back at the roster from his freshman season all the way to last season. He began at 260 lbs and was thrusted into the starting lineup. It would be an understatement to assert he struggled immensely for those few years, in part, because his lack of weight. Here's what you're missing: He gained almost thirty pounds since he's been with this new strength staff as he is currently 6'6'' 316.... Does that mean he's better than WM or DW (our freshman tackles).....NO....

It does mean that with a team that has close to no experience backing up our Freshman OT's, Tatum would have provided experienced/quality depth at that position and would have been a luxury...(A luxury I might add that championship teams possess). Morris, Wright, and Johnson have experience playing OT......Calbert has been plugged in there a few times also. Smith says he is exclusively a guard now in his interview a few weeks ago.... Other than that, no other experience at the 2nd hardest position (IMO) on offense. Also, as far as I can tell, all of our OL commitments are projected at C or OG....OT's have to be physically large, physical, have reach, and extremely athletic feet...There are only a handful of these types of players that have all these traits coming out of high school every year. (We hit the jackpot getting two last year)

Last edited:
Let me restate a few points I made in the previous post. I said: WM and DW are better than MT. They were at least even with him this season. And when you have a player that's even, you'll go with the younger player every time.

Look back at the roster from his freshman season all the way to last season. He began at 260 lbs and was thrusted into the starting lineup. It would be an understatement to assert he struggled immensely for those few years, in part, because his lack of weight. Here's what you're missing: He gained almost thirty pounds since he's been with this new strength staff as he is currently 6'6'' 316.... Does that mean he's better than WM or DW (our freshman tackles).....NO....

It does mean that with a team that has close to no experience backing up our Freshman OT's, Tatum would have provided experienced/quality depth at that position and would have been a luxury...(A luxury I might add that championship teams possess). Morris, Wright, and Johnson have experience playing OT......Calbert has been plugged in there a few times also. Smith says he is exclusively a guard now in his interview a few weeks ago.... Other than that, no other experience at the 2nd hardest position (IMO) on offense. Also, as far as I can tell, all of our OL commitments are projected at C or OG....OT's have to be physically large, physical, have reach, and extremely athletic feet...There are only a handful of these types of players that have all these traits coming out of high school every year. (We hit the jackpot getting two last year)

With every player coming back and the one's we have signed, I bet MT would have played some next season and perhaps started 1-2.......How is him leaving "trimming dead wood"....I bet he doesn't stay in that portal very long....

[QUOTE="keenobserver, post: 17636126, member: 69229" Here's what you're missing: He gained almost thirty pounds since he's been with this new strength staff as he is currently 6'6'' 316....[/QUOTE]

Here's what you're missing-----he ain't good enough to play in the SEC for us.
I just can't understand why you're struggling with the concept....He isn't even good enough to provide depth for this team that needs to make room to recruit over his head AGAIN...
I don't care how tall he is and how much weight he has gained.....He has played sparingly for us this year---has NEVER been able to distinguish himself on the field...and now we need to make room to sign
new players that will be better as FR than he will be as a SENIOR. Morris, Wright, Akporoghene, and Calbert are all WAY BETTER players.....along with Locklear and J. Johnson.

You ought to just admit that you're assessment is wrong....no hostility there at all....it's just a simple fact. CJP and staff have shown him the door....and why can't you get that fact???

He needs to sign with a team out of the Power 5 and maybe play enough to get a sniff from the NFL...

[QUOTE="keenobserver, post: 17636126, member: 69229" Here's what you're missing: He gained almost thirty pounds since he's been with this new strength staff as he is currently 6'6'' 316....

Here's what you're missing-----he ain't good enough to play in the SEC for us.
I just can't understand why you're struggling with the concept....He isn't even good enough to provide depth for this team that needs to make room to recruit over his head AGAIN...
I don't care how tall he is and how much weight he has gained.....He has played sparingly for us this year---has NEVER been able to distinguish himself on the field...and now we need to make room to sign
new players that will be better as FR than he will be as a SENIOR. Morris, Wright, Akporoghene, and Calbert are all WAY BETTER players.....along with Locklear and J. Johnson.

You ought to just admit that you're assessment is wrong....no hostility there at all....it's just a simple fact. CJP and staff have shown him the door....and why can't you get that fact???

He needs to sign with a team out of the Power 5 and maybe play enough to get a sniff from the NFL...[/QUOTE]

You seem like your under the delusion that 2 great young tackles is all a championship team needs. J. Johnson is better than him. There's no way on earth you would know if Akporoghene is better than MT. You are a casual fan of football is you believe Locklear is better....

How is hard to understand that his limitations early were because of his size and strength. Now that he has it, there are 2, only 2, elite players above him. This is reason enough for a player like him to seek another opportunity. Implying his play didn't contribute to anything positive the last three years is disingenuous. I thought he was a much better player than D. Richmond....Hes started every game at USC this season.

My statement was the depth that he provided at that position is extremely important considering his experience and (now) size and athleticism. I dont think for one minute he was "shown the door" by Pruitt and I imagine, neither do you...its just fun for you to say.....

Never said it was a tragedy that he left....I'm happy for him....Only an area of concern, for which the staff I'm sure have a plan..

You seem like your under the delusion that 2 great young tackles is all a championship team needs. J. Johnson is better than him. There's no way on earth you would know if Akporoghene is better than MT. You are a casual fan of football is you believe Locklear is better....

You seem to be under the delusion that 6'6" and 300+ pounds is all that is needed to play OL in the SEC....the point being that Tatum's weight was all that was limiting him...
And you're just completely wrong about that once again--but just can't find a way to admit it.

It really doesn't matter what you think--or I think for that matter.....it is clear that coaches have obviously made it clear to Tatum that he needs to move on--thru practice reps, playing time, and performance reviews from his films. It happens....you just need to stop trying to convince anyone in this forum that Tatum was good enough to keep.

Face it--he's been recruited over at OT--and is one of the guys who need to move on to make room for the OL recruits signing with us in 2020.
There may be more leave from the OL after the bowl game.

Ubben already has an exit interview with Tatum for the Athletic. Great article and Tatum says that the coaches have supported him as a graduate transfer because it’s his best chance to play. Said coaches and athletic department have been tremendous helping him find the best opportunity. He also Talked about how great Pruitt and Friend are and how much he loves Pruitt as coach.

This. Proud of our staff. Integrity.

Reactions: jsc1973

VN Store

Back