Man, I had forgotten how good this dude was.....

I remember the arguments on this board over Hardesty vs Foster. IIRC, Fosters momma was on here going after anyone who said Hardesty was better. And she insisted Foster didn't have a fumbling issue.

We don't know that yet... was dinged up mid part of the year, running behind an SEC average at best OL. We'll know better this year. To me, he's a Charlie Garner type...just gotta get him the ball and a little space
I think he's lacking Charlie's speed just a bit.

Thanks for sharing this great Tennessee football win beating Cal 35-18 in 2006. 14 years goes by really fast.
You got that right. That was such a fun night. Cal had no idea the hornets nest they were walking into that night. We sent a message from the opening kick when we knocked out their starting tight end.

For a long time we maintained a deep stable of backs like Hardesty. Since he graduated we had Hurd, Kamara, and John Kelly for a couple of years, and that is about it. It is a major reason we have been down.
When I first read this post I was ready to blast you with a list of RBs to show you how wrong you were. Turns out you are right. Carry on. #90sVolsBrain

There have been some decent backs in the last decade. The problem has more to do with the OL during that time.

Right!! Yes he could break tackles, but in the video I saw a whole lot of good line blocks and several good down field blocks. The best backs will always break tackles, however it helps if they are running downhill when they need to break them. That's where good line play and skilled receivers that also block well come to the table.

Reactions: SpookyAction
I think he's lacking Charlie's speed just a bit.
He lacks his speed and his ability to break tackles. I'm not sold on Gray at all, he's a good looking young back but nowhere near the great talents we've had in the past. He needs to improve his speed, strength, physicality, protecting the football and picking up the blitz in pass situations, not saying he won't be great but he's got a bunch of improving to do to get there. I think Chandler is our best all-around back.

Didn’t Hardesty have some kind of auto immune condition that went undiagnosed until he got into the NFL?

I think you may be thinking of Cedric Houston? At least i read something like that @ him when he got to the Jets and that kind of problem got uncovered.

VN Store

Back