Man boobies-Why are so many coaches out of shape?

Gnew6011vfl

If you’re a recruit, does it matter to you what the guy coaching you looks like physically?Say you’ve narrowed it down to 2 schools, both coaches have matching records/same credentials,one has a big ol set of man boobs... do the boobs sway you the opposite direction? GBO

So the thread title asks a completely different question than the OP. I'll give my thoughts on both.

Title question: being out of shape has some of the same root causes for a coach as the US population (70% of us are overweight, and half of those are obese): Rich foods, plentiful abundance for most, large portions at restaurants and fast food joints, etc. On top of those societal commonalities, college coaches have notoriously long work days most of the year. First things to give way when you're severely over-worked are (a) leisure, (b) family time, and (c) exercise. A lot of these coaches do very little but work and sleep 10 or 11 months of the year.

OP question: Probably. To some extent. For most kids. Picking a coach is kinda like anything else in life: you're supposed to stay focused on the professional attributes, but how you get along with the person, whether you enjoy being around them, those are going to weigh in, too. A coach who looks ripped probably usually has a 'likeability' advantage. Just human nature.

Last edited:
Would you rather they be in the film room or weight room?

With as bad as our teams conditioning was last year; the coaches need to be in both. In all seriousness, physical fitness should be important to a coach and mentor for young men. I don’t expect every coach to look like a body builder but I would not hire an out of shape, physically obese football coach.

A strength coach, absolutely. Can't have a fat strength coach.

Position coaches, I doubt anyone would care. Unless they were so fat it interfered with the coaching on the field. And I can think of a few that it probably did.

It isn't shocking Pruitt got fat in his three years here. My diet is pretty bad. But I make up l for it with exercise. If you are working 14 hour days every day, the exercise is going to go out the window and the diet is going to get even worse.

Stress: The culmination of a ridiculous amount of travel, pressure (sometimes unrealistic pressure) to be successful , and mental exhaustion from film study, to scheming, to managing personnel, booster, etc.

Anyone who has had a high paying, demanding job that requires regular travel and an "always on" mentality likely knows firsthand the toll stress takes on your body (especially as middle age changes start to creep in).

I wouldn’t say a recruit really is going to care if their coach is or isn’t in shape. However, if you can find me one fat successful college coach I’ll be impressed. The sloppy appearance and lack of give a crap about the shape their in, is a direct reflection of their on field success. Coach heup needs to hit the ole mat drills with the boys this spring. Get himself looking a little tighter.

Reactions: VolInNW and Rando
Most coaches are elderly, or approaching elderly. Most were probably former athletes, football players themselves perhaps, and once ripped, and in great shape.

It's a fact that testosterone is key in muscle building, energy, etc. They're older (less test), as previously stated, and most being former athletes, and weight room junkies, probably also have the aches and pains associated with years of hits, bumps, bruises, breaks, tears, joint stresses, etc.

And as someone else said, brutal schedules (work/life balance), and weight training would be among the first activities to go with time constraints, and age playing a large factor.

And....they've spent they're entire lives living that life. Can you blame them for slipping a bit? (Yes, some carry it too far. We all know who they are.)

Reactions: JRich
I wouldn’t say a recruit really is going to care if their coach is or isn’t in shape. However, if you can find me one fat successful college coach I’ll be impressed. The sloppy appearance and lack of give a crap about the shape their in, is a direct reflection of their on field success. Coach heup needs to hit the ole mat drills with the boys this spring. Get himself looking a little tighter.

Our own Phillip Fulmer was pretty successful, and has been the butt of the joke for years.

If you’re a recruit, does it matter to you what the guy coaching you looks like physically?Say you’ve narrowed it down to 2 schools, both coaches have matching records/same credentials,one has a big ol set of man boobs... do the boobs sway you the opposite direction? GBO
Too much work, too much stress, not enough exercise. If you're constantly working 60-70 hour weeks there isn't a lot of time for a workout and there isn't a lot of time for being discerning with your diet.

Reactions: wmcovol
So the thread title asks a completely different question than the OP. I'll give my thoughts on both.

Title question: being out of shape has some of the same root causes for a coach as the US population (70% of us are overweight, and half of those are obese): Rich foods, plentiful abundance for most, large portions at restaurants and fast food joints, etc. On top of those societal commonalities, college coaches have notoriously long work days most of the year. First things to give way when you're severely over-worked are (a) leisure, (b) family time, and (c) exercise. A lot of these coaches do very little but work and sleep 10 or 11 months of the year.

OP question: Probably. To some extent. For most kids. Picking a coach is kinda like anything else in life: you're supposed to stay focused on the professional attributes, but how you get along with the person, whether you enjoy being around them, those are going to weigh in, too. A coach who looks ripped probably usually has a 'likeability' advantage. Just human nature.
Saban aint fat. Ryan Day? nope. Urban Meyer? Nope. Barnes? Coach K? Plenty of in shape coaches and it's no wonder they are so successful. This was a reason I was against Chaney. I knew him his first time here. He was big and sloppy, but nothing like his next time around. A guy that lacks that much control can't be doing things right.

VN Store

Back