Malzahn

I haven't been against the Heupel hire at all, under the circumstances I figured it was probably the best we could do. If Malzahn takes the UCF job though I'm really going to question that assumption, unless we kicked the tires and Gus told us no. Where else would we find a coach that beat Saban 3 times? Not to mention that would have likely locked up Big Kat, Dylan Brooks, Cody Brown and others.

UCF offers head football coaching job to Gus Malzahn

I'm very thankful we didn't end up with Malzahn. A friend put it best and I completely agree. "Gus has no upside. You know what you are getting but he would bring no excitement. Averaged 4 losses a season. Now Heupel might not be the answer but I have more faith he will get us to the top of the SEC East before Gus would. A great hire for UCF though."

I’ve said Huepel was a decidedly better hire than Pruitt, Malzahn would have been a slightly better hire than Huepel. Going from Pruitt to Heupel was an upgrade, going from Pruitt to Malzahn would have been a huge upgrade.
Heupel’s better than Leach. Your last troll act on this subject. 😴

I'm very thankful we didn't end up with Malzahn. A friend put it best and I completely agree. "Gus has no upside. You know what you are getting but he would bring no excitement. Averaged 4 losses a season. Now Heupel might not be the answer but I have more faith he will get us to the top of the SEC East before Gus would. A great hire for UCF though."
You would pay a lot to get to what Auburn paid a lot to get rid of.

Reactions: volhick and OllVol
Wait - so now we not only could not have hired a coach who is free of restrictions from the NCAA and has had no infractions in over three years, we could not have hired any coach who has any semblance of a track record of success? Exactly what would the NCAA have been able to find fault with about Malzahn being hired here? I have seen some mindless posts on here but this takes the cake.

For years we have heard about AU buying recruits, the famous cabin,, headlined by all the Cam Newton saga. Not saying I buy into any of that, especially Cam.... Dad was pushing him to AU, but he was also running from the MSU mess and I think he was looking for a clean spot not more money. My theory anyway... If you check back I was a proponent of Gus getting serious consideration, no buyout TO PAY, lots in the bank, thought he might work a deal to jump straight to a P5 school to stick it in AU's eye..... I once equated his situation to Barnes. Not a Gus hater at all. But probably not as clean looking as JH and other younger guys which I thought was a priority.

I kind of already did in a previous thread on your coaching search (search my posts).

The posts I've seen in this thread post Malzahn in the shiniest light imaginable. In reality his incompetence and failure runs very deep. Did you guys know that Colby Smith, the 2021 OT that we just signed away from you guys after Pruitt was fired, is the first HS OT since 2017 or 2018 to sign with Auburn? Malzahn has absolutely decimated the OL situation at Auburn. And this is an "offensive minded" HC. Imagine that for a second.

Then I see things like: "he almost won a National Championship in 2013". That was 8 years ago, in his very first season, with Chizik's players (most notably the OL left over by Jeff Grimes who is now the OC at Baylor). Auburn also blew one of the biggest leads you'll see in "Championship Game" history in that game. The very next season Auburn was 8-5. Two years after almost winning the Championship, Auburn was 7-6 under Malzahn. How is that even possible? In reality, the Championship appearance in his very first season was a total fluke. You'll find with Malzahn that his best talent is tripping his way into "greatness", and then due to incompetence he not only can't build on any success, but he actually manages to completely tank it somehow.

Then I see: "he's beaten Saban three times!". Stuff like that means nothing once you consider how much he lost to everyone else that would be considered a "rival". And these weren't competitive games, they were blowouts. Beating Saban three times should mean that you have the capacity to compete with everyone - with Malzahn you'll find that he can somehow challenge Saban reasonably, but then subsequently he's 2-5 in Bowl games with losses to UCF and Minnesota - two teams playing with half the talent that Auburn fields, who basically dominated us. He's beaten Saban three times, but he lost to Will Muschamp this season - in year 8 he's losing to a coach at South Carolina who would go on to get fired. He also lost to Pruitt, and really, you guys were making a game out of it this year as well before Guarantano gift-wrapped us the game with that pick-6 in the redzone. Check his record against Georgia and LSU as well.

He has zero idea how to develop or utilize quarterbacks and his offense was a total novelty that has been figured out. He hasn't been able to evolve or adapt. All of the quarterbacks who had success at Auburn under him: Chris Todd, Cam Newton, Nick Marshall, Jarrett Stidham were transfers who were developed elsewhere or had prior coaching by someone else in a different system. Malzahn's HS signees at the position have been complete flops with zero development - and he's recruited "highly regarded" quarterbacks. Consider this: 2020 Auburn had a 5-star QB (Nix), two NFL-caliber receivers (Seth Williams & Schwartz), an absolute freak talent at RB (Tank Bigsby) and yet it produced the season that you just witnessed. A loss to South Carolina and a 27-6 beatdown to Georgia playing with a WALK-ON QB who was like 4th string on their depth chart.

Now, that's what I call elaborating.

I kind of already did in a previous thread on your coaching search (search my posts).

The posts I've seen in this thread post Malzahn in the shiniest light imaginable. In reality his incompetence and failure runs very deep. Did you guys know that Colby Smith, the 2021 OT that we just signed away from you guys after Pruitt was fired, is the first HS OT since 2017 or 2018 to sign with Auburn? Malzahn has absolutely decimated the OL situation at Auburn. And this is an "offensive minded" HC. Imagine that for a second.

Then I see things like: "he almost won a National Championship in 2013". That was 8 years ago, in his very first season, with Chizik's players (most notably the OL left over by Jeff Grimes who is now the OC at Baylor). Auburn also blew one of the biggest leads you'll see in "Championship Game" history in that game. The very next season Auburn was 8-5. Two years after almost winning the Championship, Auburn was 7-6 under Malzahn. How is that even possible? In reality, the Championship appearance in his very first season was a total fluke. You'll find with Malzahn that his best talent is tripping his way into "greatness", and then due to incompetence he not only can't build on any success, but he actually manages to completely tank it somehow.

Then I see: "he's beaten Saban three times!". Stuff like that means nothing once you consider how much he lost to everyone else that would be considered a "rival". And these weren't competitive games, they were blowouts. Beating Saban three times should mean that you have the capacity to compete with everyone - with Malzahn you'll find that he can somehow challenge Saban reasonably, but then subsequently he's 2-5 in Bowl games with losses to UCF and Minnesota - two teams playing with half the talent that Auburn fields, who basically dominated us. He's beaten Saban three times, but he lost to Will Muschamp this season - in year 8 he's losing to a coach at South Carolina who would go on to get fired. He also lost to Pruitt, and really, you guys were making a game out of it this year as well before Guarantano gift-wrapped us the game with that pick-6 in the redzone. Check his record against Georgia and LSU as well.

He has zero idea how to develop or utilize quarterbacks and his offense was a total novelty that has been figured out. He hasn't been able to evolve or adapt. All of the quarterbacks who had success at Auburn under him: Chris Todd, Cam Newton, Nick Marshall, Jarrett Stidham were transfers who were developed elsewhere or had prior coaching by someone else in a different system. Malzahn's HS signees at the position have been complete flops with zero development - and he's recruited "highly regarded" quarterbacks. Consider this: 2020 Auburn had a 5-star QB (Nix), two NFL-caliber receivers (Seth Williams & Schwartz), an absolute freak talent at RB (Tank Bigsby) and yet it produced the season that you just witnessed. A loss to South Carolina and a 27-6 beatdown to Georgia playing with a WALK-ON QB who was like 4th string on their depth chart.
Dude, sign me up for the season y'all just had. We just lost 34-7 to Kentucky at home. Y'all beat Kentucky, Arkansas and LSU.

I haven't been against the Heupel hire at all, under the circumstances I figured it was probably the best we could do. If Malzahn takes the UCF job though I'm really going to question that assumption, unless we kicked the tires and Gus told us no. Where else would we find a coach that beat Saban 3 times? Not to mention that would have likely locked up Big Kat, Dylan Brooks, Cody Brown and others.

UCF offers head football coaching job to Gus Malzahn

Finebaum said Gus had zero interest in the TN job.

Malzahn's best days are behind him. I'd rather take my chances with a guy like Heupel than go with a guy like Malzahn. He had a nice gimmick early on, but he's been figured out in this league. His ceiling at an upper level SEC program is known. Plus he's not such a great guy from all I've read. Kind of like the gump we just parted with. No thanks. I'd rather not have someone else's sloppy seconds or castoffs. Let's turn the page on these types of hires.

Reactions: Exiled

VN Store

Back