Malachi Wideman

Just heard an interview with Dee Beckwith and he sure sounded like he is definitely 100% playing basketball next year.

I wish that we could get back to being more of an attractive spot for high level athletes by enabling multi-sport participation. Condredge played baseball. Widby played football, basketball, golf, and possibly baseball. WRs used to always double up as sprinters on one of the best track programs in the country. Football players were also regularly outstanding participants in shot put, hurdles, and high jump. Rodney Woods and Mark Griffin double dipped and I think that Mike Smithson did as well.

I wish that we could get back to being more of an attractive spot for high level athletes by enabling multi-sport participation. Condredge played baseball. Widby played football, basketball, golf, and possibly baseball. WRs used to always double up as sprinters on one of the best track programs in the country. Football players were also regularly outstanding participants in shot put, hurdles, and high jump. Rodney Woods and Mark Griffin double dipped and I think that Mike Smithson did as well.
Agree that would be awesome. And wow!!... I didn’t know Widby was such an underachiever. Haha good lord

Was it Gault that was a world class sprinter?

Was it Gault that was a world class sprinter?

IIRC WG's 40 time was 4.18 seconds. Gault was on a world record 4x100 shuttle relay team (I think that was the correct term). Mike Miller and Darryal Wilson (2 other TN WRs) were also members of that RT. Anthony Hancock was another sprinter/WR a class or 2 ahead of Gault. Seems like he was not the 4th on that world record setting group... it escapes me who the 4th was.

The 4x100 shuttle relay was run on the 100 meter section of the track with 2 runners each heading in opposite directions, not the traditional 4x100 that was a single lap around the track with the baton being handed off runner to runner.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
There's a video in Wideman's thread in the RF where DWade and LeBron are watching him play and coming out of their seats after a couple of really impressive dunks, including one over a couple players. Elite level athlete that can jump out of the gym. Says he loves to play defense, which I'm sure made him even more attractive to Barnes. This is a huge pick-up for the basketball without having to use a scholarship. Pretty sure Wideman is a 4 star, combo guard ranked around 120 in basketball and top 60 in football

VN Store

Back