Making the Tourney is NOT enough

I like reading your posts and you seem knowledgeable about Tennessee basketball. What is your goal for this team BTO? If CCM scrapes by again, is that enough?

Scrapes by? He HASNT made the tourney. This will be his first time. Why would that be scraping by. We haven't seen this team on the court. We look great on paper but that can all change when we play. Let them play first. Everyone on this board wants sweet 16 or better we have to see them play.

Scrapes by? He HASNT made the tourney. This will be his first time. Why would that be scraping by. We haven't seen this team on the court. We look great on paper but that can all change when we play. Let them play first. Everyone on this board wants sweet 16 or better we have to see them play.

He scraped by the last two years. He reached the minimum number of wins each year for there not to be a revolt. Anything less than what he has done, he would be gone or on the hot seat (no I don't think he would have been fired year one without a major meltdown i.e. 10 wins). He also hasn't outperformed expectations, thereby scraping by

Reactions: 1 person
He scraped by the last two years. He reached the minimum number of wins each year for there not to be a revolt. Anything less than what he has done, he would be gone or on the hot seat. He also hasn't outperformed expectations, thereby scraping by

He didn't scrape by his first year. He exceeded expectations. I dont think anyone can say other wise. Last year is no excuse. No maymon but we probably should have made it. If he doesn't make the tourney he'll at least be on the hot seat. But saying he scraped by his first year is a stretch.

He didn't scrape by his first year. He exceeded expectations. I dont think anyone can say other wise. Last year is no excuse. No maymon but we probably should have made it. If he doesn't make the tourney he'll at least be on the hot seat. But saying he scraped by his first year is a stretch.

Tells me everything I need to know

I like reading your posts and you seem knowledgeable about Tennessee basketball. What is your goal for this team BTO? If CCM scrapes by again, is that enough?

As someone has already mentioned there's too many factors to just say, make an elite 8, or if you get knocked out first round you should be gone.

One thing to keep in mind is that CCM has never coached a team to the NCAA tournament, so you're saying in his first trip you're expecting him to out coach likely a few veteran NCAA coaches on his way to the elite 8?

If this team goes 25-6 is ranked top 20 all year, goes into the NCAA ranked top 15 and gets a bad draw in the 5/12 matchup and loses a nail biter....no I don't think he should be fired.

As someone has already mentioned there's too many factors to just say, make an elite 8, or if you get knocked out first round you should be gone.

One thing to keep in mind is that CCM has never coached a team to the NCAA tournament, so you're saying in his first trip you're expecting him to out coach likely a few veteran NCAA coaches on his way to the elite 8?

If this team goes 25-6 is ranked top 20 all year, goes into the NCAA ranked top 15 and gets a bad draw in the 5/12 matchup and loses a nail biter....no I don't think he should be fired.

Sorry, you must have misunderstood my post. I agree with what your saying, that there are other factors affecting the likelihood of it happening. I am talking about setting a team goal (aspiration). You are saying that the team goal should only be the minimum that is expected?

Sorry, you must have misunderstood my post. I agree with what your saying, that their are other factors affecting the likelihood of it happening. I am talking about setting a team goal (aspiration). You are saying that the team goal should only be the minimum that is expected?

The Citadels team goal is to win the national championship....that should answer your question.

Has this been discussed Ad Nauseam? I don't venture to the basketball forum except during the season. Please tell me why we shouldn't try to be a top ten team in the country?

I don't think you try NOT to be that, but not being that isn't automatic failure either, which seems to be what you're implying.

There is a medium to be considered successful between making the tourney and making the Elite Eight. No one will argue missing the tourney is a failure, but if we make the Sweet Sixteen and get beaten by a 1 or 2 seed, I'm not going to call that season a failure.

No, not for this year. That should have been the goal for his first year, and maybe for year two. The teams have started off weak, and then done well the second half. To me, that's on the coach (yes there are circumstance I am aware of).

If the goal this year is just making the tournament, then I have lost some respect for CCM

So, "yes there are circumstances I am aware of," but for the sake of your argument you'll simply choose to ignore them?

Hope- is the state which promotes the desire of positive outcomes related to events and circumstances in one's life or in the world at large.

Expectation- a strong belief that something will happen or be the case in the future

This is the difference between CCM's first 2 years(in my eyes) and this year. The first two years we had hope for a tourney run, because we saw the potential of our team. This year we actually expect it. IMO

Hope- is the state which promotes the desire of positive outcomes related to events and circumstances in one's life or in the world at large.

Expectation- a strong belief that something will happen or be the case in the future

This is the difference between CCM's first 2 years(in my eyes) and this year. The first two years we had hope for a tourney run, because we saw the potential of our team. This year we actually expect it. IMO

right, so I am talking about setting goals...

You and I both know the SEC is not the strongest basketball conference. After 6 straight NCAA berths, with weaker rosters some years, I expected to be in the tourney year 1

You know that weak SEC had one team win it all and another in the elite 8 right? Please tell me off that 2011-2012 roster you saw making significant contributions prior to the season

On real.

1. We havent played one game yet. It could be injuries or whatever along the way.

2. The goal is to just make it to the NCAA tournament first.

3. You have no idea what seed you will be or who is in your bracket.

4. NCAA its about match up. You see upsets because teams not familiar with other
teams and different styles. The best team doesn't always win.

5. Maybe, if you knew all this you could say Elite 8.

6. If CCM made it to Sweet 16 and got fired. What quality coach you know would want to coach here?

Reactions: 4 people
Finally someone reasonable! (someone who agrees with me) How does his post get a like when I said the same thing :)

Because I was first haha. I said this months ago. I would have been satisfied with Sweet 16 with Golden, but not with Barton. That being said, Elite 8 is totally realistic and should be expected IMO, assuming we suffer no major injuries to key players. Obviously if that occurs, realistic expectations have to be adjusted.

I said anything less than the Elite 8 for this year's team should be unacceptable before anyone else even thought it. If all this team accomplishes is to make the NCAA tourney, CCM should be fired on the spot. That would be a major coaching failure with all the talent he has.

So, unless CCM accomplishes something that's been done exactly once in a 100+ years of Tennessee basketball, then he should be fired?

Quick, someone, Star Trek double face palm gif.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back