Mac McClung

Avoiding the question. Provide the sources If there is proof that Mac reached out to UT after leaving Georgetown and was turned down.
Pot, meet kettle. Talk about avoiding the question. I suggested that if you had a different version of events to enlighten us. I was transparent about the rumor that was out there; that Tennessee reached out, there was mutual interest, and Tennessee went another direction. Again, give your version if you disagree. You haven't even technically denied the rumor, rather you've danced around it levying the burden of proof upon others to legitimize it with tangible evidence.

Pot, meet kettle. Talk about avoiding the question. I suggested that if you had a different version of events to enlighten us. I was transparent about the rumor that was out there; that Tennessee reached out, there was mutual interest, and Tennessee went another direction. Again, give your version if you disagree. You haven't even technically denied the rumor, rather you've danced around it levying the burden of proof upon others to legitimize it with tangible evidence.
IDK the story. I don’t have to deny a rumor , I’m trying to see if there is substance to it and apparently there is not.

IDK the story. I don’t have to deny a rumor , I’m trying to see if there is substance to it and apparently there is not.
Interesting. To borrow your words, "the tone in your posts" seemed to indicate that you knew the rumor was false. Just like you don't have to deny a rumor, I don't have to substantiate one with concrete evidence, either. That's what makes it a rumor, and why I qualified it with the use of the word, "allegedly".
the more you know.gif

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
See post #820. That should answer your statement about opinions regarding who thought the better team was at the end of the year.

Yea, because sports writers and coaches are all knowing. The coaches are known for not even knowing who their SID votes for. Like I said, you mix up opinion and fact.

Reactions: cncchris33
Yea, because sports writers and coaches are all knowing. The coaches are known for not even knowing who their SID votes for. Like I said, you mix up opinion and fact.
They still have more insight than you or I when you look at them collectively.

Last edited:
Interesting. To borrow your words, "the tone in your posts" seemed to indicate that you knew the rumor was false. Just like you don't have to deny a rumor, I don't have to substantiate one with concrete evidence, either. That's what makes it a rumor, and why I qualified it with the use of the word, "allegedly".
View attachment 363360
In other words the rumors of McClung being turned down is just BS without value or substance. Thank you for clarifying.

In other words the rumors of McClung being turned down is just BS without value or substance. Thank you for clarifying.

I'm not sure why you cannot just tell us if this rumor is true or not since you are CLEARLY a member of the McClung family with how much you are pining for us to make him an offer. Lol.

I'm not sure why you cannot just tell us if this rumor is true or not since you are CLEARLY a member of the McClung family with how much you are pining for us to make him an offer. Lol.
No I’m not and I’m watching his career and hoping he can elevate his game to continue his career professionally. It just amuses me with the guys who state he is definitely not a take for UT. It may be true and it may not but he would make the squad better.

Reactions: Flovol
Nope, not “in other words”. You are quite advanced in the art of putting words in other people’s mouths.

That rumor is out there. Choose to believe it, or don’t. Why would I care if you believe a rumor I can neither prove or disprove? I don’t even care whether it’s true, or not. My day is wholly unaffected by its validity. Your argument is really nonsensical for someone who has as little proof to the contrary as anyone else does in support of the hearsay in question.

No I’m not and I’m watching his career and hoping he can elevate his game to continue his career professionally. It just amuses me with the guys who state he is definitely not a take for UT. It may be true and it may not but he would make the squad better.
Another opinion you’re passing off as fact.

His “leadership” took a team that was national runner-up the last time a tournament was held to a second round exit.
Asinine assumption. How do you know what impact his leadership had on their season? Maybe it was an overall talent issue or in game coaching decisions or possibly Covid related.

Asinine assumption. How do you know what impact his leadership had on their season? Maybe it was an overall talent issue or in game coaching decisions or possibly Covid related.
So now opinions/assumptions require proof or logic? Interesting that none of yours come under such self-scrutiny. You literally just opined that MM would have instantly made Tennessee a better team. An idea that many would consider an “asinine assumption”.

So now opinions/assumptions require proof or logic? Interesting that none of yours come under such self-scrutiny. You literally just opined that MM would have instantly made Tennessee a better team. An idea that many would consider an “asinine assumption”.
Requires a legit source for me to give it credit.

McClung will always be debated here because he's a legacy player with multiple family members who were Vols from our backyard that has been All Big East 2nd and All Big 12 1st team and he can score when our teams biggest failing this year was that we couldn't score for long stretches of time. It's hard to see it as anything other than a miss by Barnes at any point in the process because Barnes gave scholarships to plenty of people the last several years that were clearly less deserving of a spot on the roster. I have no idea why that is so hard for some people to admit. They'd rather tear the guy down. Reminds me of Rupps Rafters posters years ago ripping Lofton.

To the poster who said McClung took them from the Final Four to 2nd round exit. There was an entire basketball season and 3 players lost to the NBA between the two events and Texas Tech finished the middle one unranked vs 21 AP, 22 coaches this past season.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
McClung will always be debated here because he's a legacy player with multiple family members who were Vols from our backyard that has been All Big East 2nd and All Big 12 1st team and he can score when our teams biggest failing this year was that we couldn't score for long stretches of time. It's hard to see it as anything other than a miss by Barnes at any point in the process because Barnes gave scholarships to plenty of people the last several years that were clearly less deserving of a spot on the roster. I have no idea why that is so hard for some people to admit. They'd rather tear the guy down. Reminds me of Rupps Rafters posters years ago ripping Lofton.

To the poster who said McClung took them from the Final Four to 2nd round exit. There was an entire basketball season and 3 players lost to the NBA between the two events and Texas Tech finished the middle one unranked vs 21 AP, 22 coaches this past season.
To be clear, I’m not ripping McClung (not that I assume you were referring to me), and I’ve even said I’d trade him for Bailey, right now.

I just can’t call it a miss by Barnes because McClung and Bailey are just too similar. So, unless you are suggesting Barnes should have taken McClung directly out of high school (only P6 offers were GU and Seton Hall), or you’re suggesting he should have run off Bailey before he ever played a game for Tennessee after transferring and sitting out a year to take McClung, then it isn’t fair for you to consider it a miss, either, is it?

Just because we believe McClung can play doesn’t mean Tennessee needed to take him or that we need an entire team of high volume shooting guards. With the benefit of hindsight, I think a lot of people would hold off on Bailey and be more welcoming of the idea of taking McClung, but we didn’t have the luxury of hindsight at the time. And sure, Barnes has had some misses, but very few have been at the guard position. Again, we can’t continue to take a bunch of guards just because they can play, and ignore our need in the post.

To be clear, I’m not ripping McClung (not that I assume you were referring to me), and I’ve even said I’d trade him for Bailey, right now.

I just can’t call it a miss by Barnes because McClung and Bailey are just too similar. So, unless you are suggesting Barnes should have taken McClung directly out of high school (only P6 offers were GU and Seton Hall), or you’re suggesting he should have run off Bailey before he ever played a game for Tennessee after transferring and sitting out a year to take McClung, then it isn’t fair for you to consider it a miss, either, is it?

Just because we believe McClung can play doesn’t mean Tennessee needed to take him or that we need an entire team of high volume shooting guards. With the benefit of hindsight, I think a lot of people would hold off on Bailey and be more welcoming of the idea of taking McClung, but we didn’t have the luxury of hindsight at the time. And sure, Barnes has had some misses, but very few have been at the guard position. Again, we can’t continue to take a bunch of guards just because they can play, and ignore our need in the post.
I’m sure you understand how the game has changed in the last 20 years specifically the type of lineups used. Guards are at a premium with many teams employing a 4 guard lineup at times during the course of a game.

I wasn't referring to you ripping him but many in this thread do. This is a kid who loved or loves Tennessee and has family ties here. The ripping him is not a good look imo.

I would have taken him from HS. He was an incredibly prolific scorer then and also very athletic. If you can have Pember on your roster you could have taken McClung. I also don't mind having two similar players on the roster. You can never have enough players who can score. We had far too few the last two years.

VN Store

Back