Mac McClung

A conversation can not be subjective lol at least to the person involved it can’t be. It’s either about a topic or it’s not.

I agree he is a good player, but I do not think he’s the right player for Tennessee. Not with what we want to do.

The problem is "what we want to do" has stunk on offense two years in a row.

Reactions: Hbg and VOLED

This thread is about to become insufferable.

FYI, we don’t need McClung for all the mouth breathers that swear he is the missing piece to this team.

Somebody tell me how TN missed out on a guy declaring for the draft AND going in the transfer portal at the same time?

McClung averaged 17 ppg vs the Big 12, was the conference newcomer of the year and named first team All Big 12 team. I'll say again, it's crazy to think he wouldn't have provided a massive lift in scoring on a team that had no true scoring threats in multiple games. He would have been a better player than probably 75 percent of the roster. He was named to an All-Conference team in two good basketball leagues in his career to date. He was excellent at producing points, even when he was missing shots he was very often getting to the free throw line. He had 3 really terrible shooting games all year, two of them were in wins vs Abilene Christian and A&M Corpus Christi. He also went 0-7 vs Oklahoma. Take away the 3-25 he shot against those three teams (two virtually meaningless games) and his FG percentage is close to 45 percent on the season.

Vs P5 opponents who made the NCAA T he scored 30/17 vs West Virginia, 21/11 vs Kansas, 22/16/7 vs Texas, 24/7 vs Baylor, 21/17 vs Ok St, 16/6 vs Oklahoma, 22 vs LSU, 9 vs Arkansas, he also scored 16 vs Houston and 16 vs Utah State as two non P5 teams than made the NCAAT. He averaged 15.6ppg vs teams that made the Final 4.
Good research Sir.

This thread is about to become insufferable.

FYI, we don’t need McClung for all the mouth breathers that swear he is the missing piece to this team.

I mean he's surely better than Vescovi no? Now could he play under Barnes strict O philosophy? That's a legit question, but my goodness after watching us try to play O last year, I'm completely fine with Mac being our go to scorer when we start subs at least. If UT is where he wants to come, maybe he accepts that role? Not sure but just saying. We need a scorer

Reactions: Hbg
I agree people do. Mac himself is probably slightly overrated nationally. But he's better than Bailey. Just this last year he put up more points on better shooting (overall and from 3) in a tougher conference with more defensive attention focused on him
Exactly! All these people are hating on him but uhh he's at least better than Bailey and Vescovi.

I mean he's surely better than Vescovi no? Now could he play under Barnes strict O philosophy? That's a legit question, but my goodness after watching us try to play O last year, I'm completely fine with Mac being our go to scorer when we start subs at least. If UT is where he wants to come, maybe he accepts that role? Not sure but just saying. We need a scorer

If you look at more than PPG then no, he is not better than Vescovi.

McClung averages fewer rebounds per game, fewer assists per game, fewer steals per game, shot the ball worse from the 3-point line than Vescovi, and was a worse free throw shooter than Vescovi.

The literal ONLY stat from this past year in which McCloung was better was FG% (41% to 38.2%) and PPG. But, like I said, he shoots way, way more in a game than Vescovi ever does.

There is this negative perception of Vescovi in our fanbase that I believe is unwarranted, and there is this ridiculously dumb obsession with Mac McClung. I cannot think of a single thing McClung would actually add to this team that isn't already here.

McClung averaged 17 ppg vs the Big 12, was the conference newcomer of the year and named first team All Big 12 team. I'll say again, it's crazy to think he wouldn't have provided a massive lift in scoring on a team that had no true scoring threats in multiple games. He would have been a better player than probably 75 percent of the roster. He was named to an All-Conference team in two good basketball leagues in his career to date. He was excellent at producing points, even when he was missing shots he was very often getting to the free throw line. He had 3 really terrible shooting games all year, two of them were in wins vs Abilene Christian and A&M Corpus Christi. He also went 0-7 vs Oklahoma. Take away the 3-25 he shot against those three teams (two virtually meaningless games) and his FG percentage is close to 45 percent on the season.

Vs P5 opponents who made the NCAA T he scored 30/17 vs West Virginia, 21/11 vs Kansas, 22/16/7 vs Texas, 24/7 vs Baylor, 21/17 vs Ok St, 16/6 vs Oklahoma, 22 vs LSU, 9 vs Arkansas, he also scored 16 vs Houston and 16 vs Utah State as two non P5 teams than made the NCAAT. He averaged 15.6ppg vs teams that made the Final 4.

Some on here will never admit there are times we could have really used a Mclung type player on last years team. He could provide an offensive spark to a team that needed it at times. There will probably be times we could use him for next season. I still don't think he was a huge miss though for Barnes or Tennessee. He is not a good defensive player and he is a volume shooter. There are lots of guys out there that could have helped Tennessee at some point that we have passed on. Every team has those type players. McClung just happens to a local kid that people follow. Based on the transfers we have coming in, outside shooting should not be such an issue and I am fine on passing again this go around.

Baily had slightly better shooting efficiency (TS%), he's a better rebounder, and has a better defensive body
I’m not advocating for McClung, but are these even things to be concerned with?

First of all, the idea that statistically, Bailey is a better rebounder wasn’t true, last season, nor across their careers. Secondly, neither guy is a good rebounder and we shouldn’t be relying on rebounds from our shooting guards unless the guy playing that position is just an elite rebounder, similar to how most teams aren’t relying on a 6-6 post player to block many shots unless he’s just elite at that skill (Pons).

Lastly, what is a “better defensive body”? That just seems like a made-up thing to add to your list. As with rebounding, neither guy is a good defender, either. Bailey was the worst statistical defender on our team last year by measure of defensive efficiency, and McClung was the second worst defender for TTU.

At the end of the day, as long as we have Bailey, we don’t need McClung. No sense in having two guys who bring the same identical strength and weaknesses. Truth be told, if I could trade Bailey for McClung, I’d make that trade based solely on last season, but in no world would I want both on my team. If Bailey decided to move on thru the portal, I’d have little problem taking McClung for his scoring pop, which seems slightly more versatile than Bailey’s, and ability to get to the FT line.

Yeah, I don’t think I’d trade Vescovi for McClung, but I’d trade Bailey for him.

That's about how I feel. I just felt the need to look up statistics to refute his argument because Vescovi gets unfairly targeted on here as being bad. It's just not true. I think we'll actually see a big improvement in his game in year 3.

McClung is a fine player, but he doesn't deserve the fervor in which some on this board fight for his honor. Justin Powell is a better Mac McClung. We don't also need McClung. We filled that role, now it's time to get some bigs.

Last edited:
If you look at more than PPG then no, he is not better than Vescovi.

McClung averages fewer rebounds per game, fewer assists per game, fewer steals per game, shot the ball worse from the 3-point line than Vescovi, and was a worse free throw shooter than Vescovi.

The literal ONLY stat from this past year in which McCloung was better was FG% (41% to 38.2%) and PPG. But, like I said, he shoots way, way more in a game than Vescovi ever does.

There is this negative perception of Vescovi in our fanbase that I believe is unwarranted, and there is this ridiculously dumb obsession with Mac McClung. I cannot think of a single thing McClung would actually add to this team that isn't already here.
I honestly root for Vescovi because I love the way he passes and plays the game. I'd believe in him more on a skilled and athletic roster where he could attack closeouts and shoot the 3. He just doesn't fit this offense as much. He can't get in the paint enough.

I’m not advocating for McClung, but are these even things to be concerned with?

First of all, the idea that statistically, Bailey is a better rebounder wasn’t true, last season, nor across their careers. Secondly, neither guy is a good rebounder and we shouldn’t be relying on rebounds from our shooting guards unless the guy playing that position is just an elite rebounder, similar to how most teams aren’t relying on a 6-6 post player to block many shots unless he’s just elite at that skill (Pons).

Lastly, what is a “better defensive body”? That just seems like a made-up thing to add to your list. As with rebounding, neither guy is a good defender, either. Bailey was the worst statistical defender on our team last year by measure of defensive efficiency, and McClung was the second worst defender for TTU.

At the end of the day, as long as we have Bailey, we don’t need McClung. No sense in having two guys who bring the same identical strength and weaknesses. Truth be told, if I could trade Bailey for McClung, I’d make that trade based solely on last season, but in no world would I want both on my team. If Bailey decided to move on thru the portal, I’d have little problem taking McClung for his scoring pop, which seems slightly more versatile than Bailey’s, and ability to get to the FT line.

OK, the rebounding difference is negligible, but Bailey did have the better rate last year and why wouldn't you want a rebounding guard? If you leave that **** to the big men you need Anthony Davis. Rebounding is a team thing and in a perfect world, everybody does it.

Made up thing to add to my list, lol? McClung is small. Bailey is 6' 4". There isn't a basketball mind in the world who would say that's not a better defensive body, especially for switching

Last edited:
That's about how I feel. I just felt the need to look up statistics to refute his argument because Vescovi gets unfairly targeted on here as being bad. It's just not true. I think we'll actually see a big improvement in his game in year 3.

McClung is a fine player, but he doesn't deserve the fervor in which some on this board fight for his honor. Justin Powell is a better Mac McClung. We don't also need McClung. We filled that role, now it's time to get some bigs.

And Vescovi was playing hurt for a decent portion of the season.

Made up thing to add to my list, lol? McClung is small. Bailey is 6' 4". There isn't a basketball mind in the world who would say that's not a better defensive body
6-2 vs 6-4...as guards. Does Olivier Nkamhoua have a better defensive body than Yves Pons because he’s 2” taller, too?

Like I said, McClung and Bailey are both terrible defenders, so why does it matter if Bailey is 2” taller. Just seems like a needless trait to list as it is pretty useless to either player. It’s akin to saying Jarrett Guarantano should have started over Harrison Bailey at QB because he has a stronger leg.

VN Store

Back