Mac McClung

No doubt he would be an asset and improve the team but as I stated previously he needs to improve his all-around game. He is a 3 year double digit scorer at the D1 level. To claim he would not be an asset would prove a persons ignorance about basketball.
Or admitting you don’t know a guy who was very well liked and I’d reckon to guess is/was a player the most casual fan would recognize. You can argue that proves ignorance even more.

Or admitting you don’t know a guy who was very well liked and I’d reckon to guess is/was a player the most casual fan would recognize. You can argue that proves ignorance even more.
I never followed UT basketball like football unless they were doing well and then so only marginally. I generally do not like the changes in the style of the game in the last 20 years but that is another conversation.

I never followed UT basketball like football unless they were doing well and then so only marginally. I generally do not like the changes in the style of the game in the last 20 years but that is another conversation.
So you admit ignorance? Why are we even having this conversation? Lol

How would you know that? You don’t even know who he is lol that automatically voids and make any opinion UT basketball of yours worthless as tits on a boar.
This conversation IMO is if McClung would be an asset to any team he could possibly transfer to. He is a three year double digit scorer with a lot of upside if used properly and would be an asset except maybe for the Gonzaga’s and Baylor’s of the world. He definitely would be asset for UT and likely be a starter or heavily involved in the rotation.

This conversation IMO is if McClung would be an asset to any team he could possibly transfer to. He is a three year double digit scorer with a lot of upside if used properly and would be an asset except maybe for the Gonzaga’s and Baylor’s of the world. He definitely would be asset for UT and likely be a starter or heavily involved in the rotation.
A conversation can not be subjective lol at least to the person involved it can’t be. It’s either about a topic or it’s not.

I agree he is a good player, but I do not think he’s the right player for Tennessee. Not with what we want to do.

So you admit ignorance? Why are we even having this conversation? Lol
I do not follow UT basketball closely except when they are doing well but I have 40 years experience of watching basketball. This discussion is whether McClung would be an asset to TN and its obvious he would be. He was the leading scorer in a team that was ranked higher at the end of the year than UT.

I do not follow UT basketball closely except when they are doing well but I have 40 years experience of watching basketball. This discussion is whether McClung would be an asset to TN and its obvious he would be. He was the leading scorer in a team that was ranked higher at the end of the year than UT.
How much of a difference do you think he would’ve been last year? He’s not going to get the number of shots he got at TTU at Tennessee.

A conversation can not be subjective lol. It’s either about a topic or it’s not.

I agree he is a good player, but I do not think he’s the right player for Tennessee. Not with what we want to do.
I believe he could play both one and two and with his athleticism has upside to be a better defensive player. Just needs that defensive minded coaching.

I believe he could play both one and two and with his athleticism has upside to be a better defensive player. Just needs that defensive minded coaching.
Chris Beard is considered a defensive coach.

In case you were wondering, Chris Beard was the coach of TTU btw.

How much of a difference do you think he would’ve been last year? He’s not going to get the number of shots he got at TTU at Tennessee.
I have stated several times today that he needs to play both one and two and add being more of being a facilitator. He has the skills to do so, he just needs to understand it and buy into that change. His basketball IQ is good and has shown flashes of being a combination facilitator/scorer.

I have stated several times today that he needs to play both one and two and add being more of a facilities. He has the skills to do so, he just needs to understand it and buy into that change. His basketball IQ is good and has shown flashes of being a combination facilitator/scorer.
I feel like shot taking is a very big part of basketball IQ, and I would say McClung takes a lot of bad shots.

Chris Beard is considered a defensive coach.

In case you were wondering, Chris Beard was the coach of TTU btw.
No joke. Yeah he certainly was and Beard leaving is why McClung is being discussed in this thread. McClung anticipates and makes steals. He still can improve his overall defense. He only had one year with Beard. Ewing at Georgetown was a joke of a coach.

No joke. Yeah he certainly was and Beard leaving is why McClung is being discussed in this thread. McClung anticipates and makes steals. He still can improve his overall defense. He only had one year with Beard. Ewing at Georgetown was a joke of a coach.
So, why was McClung not regarded as a good defender at TTU? He was under a defensive coach.

I feel like shot taking is a very big part of basketball IQ, and I would say McClung takes a lot of bad shots.
I didn’t see him taking bad shots very often and he can take people if the dribble, distribute, score or get fouled. He needs to do that more often than taking the 3 point shot. The NBA told him he would have to play more PG to continue as a pro. Hopefully he will understand that. I know I would if I was in his position with his athleticism and skills.

McClung averaged 17 ppg vs the Big 12, was the conference newcomer of the year and named first team All Big 12 team. I'll say again, it's crazy to think he wouldn't have provided a massive lift in scoring on a team that had no true scoring threats in multiple games. He would have been a better player than probably 75 percent of the roster. He was named to an All-Conference team in two good basketball leagues in his career to date. He was excellent at producing points, even when he was missing shots he was very often getting to the free throw line. He had 3 really terrible shooting games all year, two of them were in wins vs Abilene Christian and A&M Corpus Christi. He also went 0-7 vs Oklahoma. Take away the 3-25 he shot against those three teams (two virtually meaningless games) and his FG percentage is close to 45 percent on the season.

Vs P5 opponents who made the NCAA T he scored 30/17 vs West Virginia, 21/11 vs Kansas, 22/16/7 vs Texas, 24/7 vs Baylor, 21/17 vs Ok St, 16/6 vs Oklahoma, 22 vs LSU, 9 vs Arkansas, he also scored 16 vs Houston and 16 vs Utah State as two non P5 teams than made the NCAAT. He averaged 15.6ppg vs teams that made the Final 4.

Apparently, most on here know more than Beard and the other coaches in the Big 12.

VN Store

Back