Mac McClung

Elston Turner says hello. That was a huge mistake letting him go to Ole Miss in 1977. Even after adding Bertelkamp in 1976. But 1977-78 was the transition year with Wettig as the interim coach.

Sure would have helped to have kept John Johnson in Knoxville instead of him leaving for Maryland. The kid from Maryville that went to Florida and Kent Hollenbeck (sp?) to Kentucky were other bad misses. But McClung is a different story with KJ, JJJ, SV, JS, VB, and ticket already here.
damn I love you old timer.
1977 was a glorious time

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
I don't know what Mac's intentions are, or where he is wanting to go, but I don't know that Tennessee would even be on his list of schools to go to. I think he would benefit coming to the SEC, but I don't know that he would come. It's great we reached out to him once he announced his name in the transfer portal, but many schools have done that. My question to this all, is what deadline would he have to make an announcement by in order to file a waiver this year to play, no matter the school he choose?

Has 2 coming with higher potential at a higher level later with experience, but no he currently doesn't have a 16ppg guard currently.
I think Vescovi, Bailey, Springer and Johnson could all score 16ppg if they shot as much as MClung did. He is a good player so I am not bashing him but not someone I am worried about missing on given the players we have and the offense we run.

Has 2 coming with higher potential at a higher level later with experience, but no he currently doesn't have a 16ppg guard currently.

Nobody that's done that yet, but we should have guys who can average 16 ppg if they take 13 fgapg and 5 ftapg. Literally any "scorer" should be able to do this. If we're gonna get a guard transfer, we need a guy who can set up our wings. Our best hope is that Vescovi can become that now that he's some reps in the system.

Reactions: JoAllan
I was just wondering if you had a personal experience with the kid. I have heard through the grapevine that some folks in Gate City felt like the kid was a ballhog. You seemed to have invested a good amount of time in the thread making arguments against a kid that didn't seem likely to come here because of roster fit and played on a Big East team that wasn't televised nationally much.

Personally, I'm glad the news came out that the Vols had contact with McClung because it at least gave this forum some life while there is no b-ball workouts info and no football commits.

I was just wondering if you had a personal experience with the kid. I have heard through the grapevine that some folks in Gate City felt like the kid was a ballhog. You seemed to have invested a good amount of time in the thread making arguments against a kid that didn't seem likely to come here because of roster fit and played on a Big East team that wasn't televised nationally much.

Personally, I'm glad the news came out that the Vols had contact with McClung because it at least gave this forum some life while there is no b-ball workouts info and no football commits.
Huffs just an efficiency whore. Lol

Reactions: Vols All Day

No. Just passionate about hoops

I don't know much, and I wonder how he picked those 7 schools. Good for him, either way.

If none of the group of 5 star kids arent better than MCClung, we'll all be very disappointed
I don't think one single knowledgeable fan thinks Mcclung is make or break for our program, why would they? If you know anything at all about Barnes you know that he's all about efficiency on both ends of the court. Mcclung stunk defensively and his offensive efficiency numbers would be one of the worst Barnes has ever put on the floor. You may be disappointed but not me, and I'm guessing not many Vol fans will be either.

If what cncchris and OrangeJuiceJones were saying is true, the staff doesn't even want to give McClung PT for 2020-21. I'll take their opinions over the opinions of McClung homers on VN.

Reactions: JoAllan
If none of the group of 5 star kids arent better than MCClung, we'll all be very disappointed
I mean, did you just want Barnes to boot a kid to make room for a guy who is going to take shots away from our best players? It isn't like we're turning away some can't miss future All-American while sitting on an open scholarship. We offered him a chance to join if he wanted to do what it would take (redshirt next year and possibly walk-on until 2021) and not alienate his future teammates. He wasn't interested in that, understandably so with his options, but you only get 13 scholarships and McClung isn't the kind of talent at a position we sorely need help at that you disrupt team chemistry to make room for.

VN Store

Back