Mac McClung

I just have a feeling that TN is possibly in as good a shape on the perimeter as it is right now as it's been in it's history. If things line up and there's a spot, fine. But I'm very happy with JJJ, SV, KJ, JS, VB, Ticket, and Pember. Plus we'll have a football walk-on or two. Even Walker has potential away from the basket if there was a rash of injuries or attrition. I'm good with what we already have this year and next. Real good. We're potentially facing an issue with not enough minutes, not enough bodies. Sure could have used him in several of the recent seasons though.

Agreed. I see this idea floated quite often, but realistically what person would give up a full-ride scholarship to become a walk-on? The only way Mac is getting on this team is if someone leaves and I’m not sure I’d trade any of our current guards for Mac. The only one I’d even consider is Gaines, but he has a lot of upside IMO. Not sure I’m ready to give up on that yet.

I side with @Thunder Good-Oil on this one.

you ask what kind of Person would give up their scholarship and I think that’s easy to answer. I think it’s entirely possible that subject was discussed in the recruiting process and it was said to be prepared for such a move. The timing of his commitment seemed odd at the time with limited spots and I think with the fact he’s a local kid that reportedly has an upper class family it’s possible in the name of it allows flexibility in recruiting to make the team better.

Last edited:
I side with @Thunder Good-Oil on this one.

you ask what kind of Person would give up their scholarship and I think that’s easy to answer. I think it’s entirely possible that subject was discussed in the recruiting process and it was said to be prepared for such a move. The timing of his commitment seemed odd at the time with limited spots and I think with the fact he’s a local kid that reportedly has an upper class family it’s possible in the name of it allows flexibility in recruiting to make the team better.
It’s not going to happen. We didn’t ask Peyton Manning to walk on because his parents were rich. We didn’t ask Evan and Elliott Berry to walk on because their brother was rich. There is no scenario for Pember not being on scholarship at UT that doesn’t involve him leaving UT altogether. End of story.

Looks like Mac is looking to play pg from his agents comments.

“The feedback that he got from [NBA] teams was that they wanted to see him facilitating more,” agent Daniel Hazan said. “Being more of a point guard role, etc. I’m not saying he couldn’t have gotten that at Georgetown, but he didn’t showcase that at Georgetown. He didn’t get the opportunity really to showcase that. He was playing off the ball.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/05/13/mac-mcclung-transfer-georgetown/

Last edited:
This guys sucks. Do not want. He makes some exciting plays but he also misses 61% of his shots and he's a small 2.

This guys sucks. Do not want. He makes some exciting plays but he also misses 61% of his shots and he's a small 2.
He definitely doesn't suck but that doesn't mean he's a good fit for our team. Also, I would think that if there was legitimate reason for the staff wanting him here that there is more to his game than we currently see beyond the youtube mixes.

He definitely doesn't suck but that doesn't mean he's a good fit for our team. Also, I would think that if there was legitimate reason for the staff wanting him here that there is more to his game than we currently see beyond the youtube mixes.

He doesn't do anything other than score and he scores with very poor efficiency.

.393 FG%
.456 2P%
.295 3P%

That's atrocious. It's weird that he's such a good FT shooter and can't shoot 3's well, so maybe he'll come around, but as it stands, he's proven he sucks.

He doesn't do anything other than score and he scores with very poor efficiency.

.393 FG%
.456 2P%
.295 3P%

That's atrocious. It's weird that he's such a good FT shooter and can't shoot 3's well, so maybe he'll come around, but as it stands, he's proven he sucks.
Atrocious.... but a better FG% than anyone in our backcourt this year

Could depend on how the staff feels about the risk of not landing Chandler next year. If Springer and/or Keon go pro we could certainly need him. Of course a scholly would need to open up, and if that happens seems like there's a more immediate need finding a replacement in the post.

Atrocious.... but a better FG% than anyone in our backcourt this year

Fair point, but FG% isn't the best measure and another problem is McClung will take the most shots on the team when he shouldn't. Vescovi has a modest FG% partly because he mostly shoots 3's.

Jalen Johnson and Vescovi both had higher true shooting % (which is what really matters) than McClung, and they aren't shooting more than they should. Neither is Triple J.

The biggest problem with our backcourt is Vescovi is filthy with turnovers. If we can fix that, things will go a lot better.

Fair point, but FG% isn't the best measure and another problem is McClung will take the most shots on the team when he shouldn't.

Jalen Johnson and Vescovi both had higher true shooting % (which is what really matters) than McClung, and they aren't shooting more than they should. Neither is Triple J
He would need to be ok with that kind of role. Be a little more selective w his shots and ideally that % goes up.

Reactions: Vols All Day
He would need to be ok with that kind of role. Be a little more selective w his shots and ideally that % goes up.

Yeah, ideally, but that's not usually how it works. If scoring is all he really brings and then we don't want him to put up that many shots, what is even the point? I'd rather play guys with size who can defend and rebound. If he's instant offense off the bench, cool.

It’s not going to happen. We didn’t ask Peyton Manning to walk on because his parents were rich. We didn’t ask Evan and Elliott Berry to walk on because their brother was rich. There is no scenario for Pember not being on scholarship at UT that doesn’t involve him leaving UT altogether. End of story.

It probably won’t happen but to compare pember to the talents of Berry and Manning is well a stretch. Like I said it’s very possible it was discussed in the recruiting process that he would get the 13th spot when it was available. Let’s not act like there aren’t a lot of athletes out there in all sports that would love to jump at such an opportunity walk on or not.

I just have a feeling that TN is possibly in as good a shape on the perimeter as it is right now as it's been in it's history. If things line up and there's a spot, fine. But I'm very happy with JJJ, SV, KJ, JS, VB, Ticket, and Pember. Plus we'll have a football walk-on or two. Even Walker has potential away from the basket if there was a rash of injuries or attrition. I'm good with what we already have this year and next. Real good. We're potentially facing an issue with not enough minutes, not enough bodies. Sure could have used him in several of the recent seasons though.
yeah Mcclung is a take, anyway you spin it, kid's crazy athletic has a good motor, shoots the ball well, and avgd. 16 ppg last year, I won't be heartbroken if he doesn't come here but if we have a spot we take him period

Our depth would be stupid. Like we’d have 10-11 guys that could get minutes.
The competition in practice would be insane. Ideally, they would all push, yet support, each other for the betterment of the team. CRB would have to manage the ego's, which can be difficult when you are dealing with 18-21 year old kids.

Basilio's blog today is 80% on McClung. Seems like a lot of it is stuff already addressed here, but he makes no mention of bad will with his sister. Even mentions that his grand father played football at UT for Bowden Wyatt and MM spent some time in Neyland as a kid.

Basilio also did 5-10 minutes out of around 30 with Mike Huguenin of The Athletic on McClung. MH says he's no doubt a take if he wants to attend TN, although he's not the best fit for what Barnes typically looks for. Not a good defender and often lacking in on court discipline. But he's not a bad guy off of the court.

Reactions: Jack Burton

.393 FG%
.456 2P%
.295 3P%

"Proven he sucks". This wouldn't have discussion if your statement was correct. I do feel that he isn't necessarily a good fit for what we are trying to do.

"Proven he sucks". This wouldn't have discussion if your statement was correct. I do feel that he isn't necessarily a good fit for what we are trying to do.

How can you argue with the numbers? All he brings is scoring and the proof is right there in the numbers. If you are shooting 29% from 3p and 45% from 2, you are losing. Bottom line. We did not have a good offense last year, but at least we shot 50% from 2p and 32% from 3p. If his career averages hold true, then he'd bring our averages down and our defense would also suffer.

He actually improved from year 1 to year 2 in 3p shooting, but got much worse at 2p and increased his volume from there, while decreasing his volume from 3p. That demonstrates a lack of basketball IQ.

How can you argue with the numbers? All he brings is scoring and the proof is right there in the numbers. If you are shooting 29% from 3p and 45% from 2, you are losing. Bottom line. We did not have a good offense last year, but at least we shot 50% from 2p and 32% from 3p. If his career averages hold true, then he'd bring our averages down and our defense would also suffer.

He actually improved from year 1 to year 2 in 3p shooting, but got much worse at 2p and increased his volume from there, while decreasing his volume from 3p. That demonstrates a lack of basketball IQ.

The numbers aren't always a snap shot. I don't know the entire story about Georgetown last year, but if McClung became the primary scorer from the perimeter, then teams probably focused on him. If he plays on a team with other pieces, then his numbers could very well be better.

All that said, I just don't see it, especially if he is really trying for a waiver. We have two 5 star guards that need to play, and SV and JJJ will be better.

He averaged just shy of 16 ppg, 3 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 1.5 steals in around 27 mpg. Yes, his fg% (40%) and 3p% (32%) isn't going to win him awards, however that is far from sucking.

Reactions: k-town_king

VN Store

Back