LVs fun to watch for the first time in a long time!

Thanks - I spent quite a while working on those 7 chapters at the height of the UCan't -UT rivalry.
It was a time when there was an argument over which program was superior and I tried to settle that argument in the Lady Vols favor.

Oh wow, I did not realize you are the author. Well done, very impressive! Want to do it again later in the Kellie years? Just kidding. 🙂

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
No doubt that Connecticut’s OOC scheduling has been better than Tennessee’s for years now. Not to say that they wouldn’t have done it this way regardless — who knows? — but they really had no choice but to go that route after having been dumped into a lesser conference.

Tennessee’s OOC schedule has not been quite as strong as it once was, but it still ranks pretty darn high.

The above was written in 2007. According to the current AP rankings, UT will play 5 of the top 10 listed, and ND is now 15, so you could add that game as well. I do not know UConn’s schedule, but TN’s is definitely tough. The best recruits should want to play with and against the best. GO LADY VOLS!!!

I hope Kellie can improve the OOC portion of the schedule. Tbh, Holly was abysmal at that. She consistently had at least three top teams (between a combination of Stanford, Baylor, Texas, ND), but the rest of the schedule was pitifully weak and had a lot of >150 RPI teams. I'd like to see Kellie schedule some "good" teams to go along with the "very good" teams on the schedule.

Uconn's out of conference schedule is as follows;
CALIFORNIA
VANDERBILT
OHIO STATE
DAYTON
SETON HALL
NOTRE DAME
DEPAUL
OKLAHOMA
BAYLOR
TENNESSEE
OREGON
SOUTH CAROLINA
You left off the beginning of that quote. Not talking about ooc only. The SEC Conference means TN always plays top ranked teams.

Part of earlier post:
According to the current AP rankings, UT will play 5 of the top 10 listed, and ND is now 15, so you could add that game as well.

According to the new AP POLL, we still play 5 of the top 10 ranked teams. Btw, TN is now ranked 23. ND no longer in top 25.
NCAA women's college basketball rankings: AP, Coaches, USA Today

Last edited:
I hope Kellie can improve the OOC portion of the schedule. Tbh, Holly was abysmal at that. She consistently had at least three top teams (between a combination of Stanford, Baylor, Texas, ND), but the rest of the schedule was pitifully weak and had a lot of >150 RPI teams. I'd like to see Kellie schedule some "good" teams to go along with the "very good" teams on the schedule.

Not that I am trying to "defend" Holly, but, for at least a period, the scheduling has been, and is being driven by economics. The Athletic Department, to my understanding wants more home games, i.e. butts in the seats. The better teams are not going to agree to a simple contract to come in to TBA to play the Lady Vols. Those contracts require, at least, a home-and-home or an even more extended contract. For that reason you are seeing more teams that will accept the payday of coming to TBA to play without being able to demand a return visit. And those teams are, of necessity, going to be lower tier teams.

Just my opinion, as always,

Jim

The SEC Conference means TN always plays top ranked teams.
Are you saying that ALL sec teams are top ranked? WOW - Someone should tell Oregon, Baylor, Stanford etc.

The only part of the schedule a coach can control is their OOC. The first post in this string alluded to a myth that UConn does not play a tough schedule. Typically UConn plays a top 3-5 SOS. Notre Dame plays a top ranked SOS frequently. Geno, like Pat, will play anyone. (And every UConn fan is indebted to Pat for bringing her #1 ranked team to UConn in 1995. When the ACC had refused to come and Pat stepped up when she didn't have to. ) BTW, the weaker teams on the schedule, i.e. Cal, Dayton, etc, are a result of Geno trying to get seniors a game near their home. He typically has players from all over the country and many of their friends and family go a whole season without seeing them play. So UConn has a tradition of scheduling a 'Senior game'. Last year Cal was for KLS and Dayton was for Pheesa. They both came to UConn this year as the conclusion of a home and home set. We played them first because they were scheduled first about 3-4 years ago.

Are you saying that ALL sec teams are top ranked? WOW - Someone should tell Oregon, Baylor, Stanford etc.

The only part of the schedule a coach can control is their OOC. The first post in this string alluded to a myth that UConn does not play a tough schedule. Typically UConn plays a top 3-5 SOS. Notre Dame plays a top ranked SOS frequently. Geno, like Pat, will play anyone. (And every UConn fan is indebted to Pat for bringing her #1 ranked team to UConn in 1995. When the ACC had refused to come and Pat stepped up when she didn't have to. ) BTW, the weaker teams on the schedule, i.e. Cal, Dayton, etc, are a result of Geno trying to get seniors a game near their home. He typically has players from all over the country and many of their friends and family go a whole season without seeing them play. So UConn has a tradition of scheduling a 'Senior game'. Last year Cal was for KLS and Dayton was for Pheesa. They both came to UConn this year as the conclusion of a home and home set. We played them first because they were scheduled first about 3-4 years ago.

We get it... you can have Portland state off our schedule since it was for Evina

UCONN plays a killer non-conference schedule now that they own the NC title record, but I can recall years after several UCONN titles when they played 6-7 ranked teams while we played as many as 13 (oncluding 5-6 Top Ten teams). UCONN was racking up a lot of wins during those years.

UCONN plays a killer non-conference schedule now that they own the NC title record, but I can recall years after several UCONN titles when they played 6-7 ranked teams while we played as many as 13 (oncluding 5-6 Top Ten teams). UCONN was racking up a lot of wins during those years.

documetation?

Not that I am trying to "defend" Holly, but, for at least a period, the scheduling has been, and is being driven by economics. The Athletic Department, to my understanding wants more home games, i.e. butts in the seats. The better teams are not going to agree to a simple contract to come in to TBA to play the Lady Vols. Those contracts require, at least, a home-and-home or an even more extended contract. For that reason you are seeing more teams that will accept the payday of coming to TBA to play without being able to demand a return visit. And those teams are, of necessity, going to be lower tier teams.

Just my opinion, as always,

Jim

Logical, but an alternating series against a perennial power would put a lot more butts (actual butts, too) rather than the non-ranked teams. At least they could be quality opponents (South Dakota, Drake, Missouri State, Boise State) who have been/will be ranked at some point and are currently hovering just outside the Top 25.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
documetation?

I'd direct you to NCAA season records for each team. Capt. Google is our friend.

I don't know if Wiki or others have also archived the actual rankings for each opponent at the time the game was played, but I kept close tabs on both teams at the time mainly because the sports media was touting the rapid rate at which the UCONN coach was adding wins to his record.

Also, go back and look for that missing consonant. ;)

Most schools try to schedule a game for their seniors who are far from home. It will be interesting to see how, if at all, the UConn move to the Big East will affect their out-of-conference scheduling. Last year the Big East had six teams with overall winning records and an RPI lower than 100, and only one team with an RPI greater than 200. The AAC had three teams (counting UConn) with the same statistics, and three teams with an RPI greater than 200 and one at 194. And, three of those Big East teams were on UConn's out-of-conference schedule last year.

Also, the Big East plays eighteen conference games compared to sixteen for the AAC. So, Geno is going to have two fewer out-of-conference games to play with, no pun intended. I expect that the strength of the out-of-conference schedule may take a hit.

Jim

Logical, but an alternating series against a perennial power would put a lot more butts (actual butts, too) rather than the non-ranked teams. At least they could be quality opponents (South Dakota, Drake, Missouri State, Boise State) who have been/will be ranked at some point and are currently hovering just outside the Top 25.

Actually, I agree. And I might mention Rice, Gonzaga and some of the Big East schools like DePaul. Again, though, distance may be something of a problem because the cost of the travel, and hence the cost to UT, would be greater for some of the teams we have mentioned.

Jim

Your first sentence is really stupid. You must have poor reading comprehension.

Yeah, I'd like that, too. In the past, they've scheduled some proximity opponents during a road swing. We could add Zags away when we play Stanford, or Arizona, for instance. In addition to the ones mentioned, I'd like to see us play Miami, Syracuse (especially with that killer recruiting class coming in), Iowa St., Oregon State, just anybody to toughen up our team for March and give the fans a good show. We will always keep enough breather teams on the schedule to allow for player development ( and, let's be honest, to pad the wins).

I wonder if Kellie has given any thought to adding her former stops to the schedule. She apprenticed under Wes Moore at CHATT, and she's now personally far enough away from her firing . Playing against her former recruits at MO St would be awkward right now, I'd think, so probably out of the question even though they're looking very good right now.

VN Store

Back