Lowe says Kirkland out at last 3-4 weeks.

Can we at least give Jumper a chance? he seems to be a good leader and smart on the field. Let him be the leader he was born to be. Sorry if he isn't fast enough for you all.

Jumper is legit 4.5 to 4.6 guy the problem I've seen with him is over pursuit and lack of strength.

Reactions: 4 people
Complete recruiting failure at the LB position if Jumper is our next man up

NOT a recruiting failure but a COACHING failure as they have not got NOBODY ready just in case DKjr went down and to think Gavin Bryant has been there 3 years and they don't have him ready..............or Sapp, Bates, or McDowell are NOT ready.........its AMAZING.....Butch has NO excuse to play Jumper............that dude may be SMART as H....., but he can not tackle NOBODY in space and he CAN NOT get off Blocks and if we lose............Butch will have all the EXCUSES in the world on why we lost.....

Reactions: 2 people
Can we at least give Jumper a chance? he seems to be a good leader and smart on the field. Let him be the leader he was born to be. Sorry if he isn't fast enough for you all.

theres a large enough body of work at this point to realize that hes terrible. It is what it is. Listen, i tried to give him a chance last yr but i saw the OU game. He had no chance. Hes played enough snaps that its easy to see he should not be out there. I have no idea what youre talking ab when you say" give him a chance." Have you been watching?

he is literally never in good position and he has never made a tackle that isnt atleast 10 yards downfield.

Last edited:
yeah, well, there was this whole Oline situation we had to take care of.

How's that going for us... seems we are deep in every position except for the two where we have injuries... Really hope we can get the Kirkland replacement issue worked out before SEC play. Surely Shoop will plug several guys in getting reps against Ohio to see how they perform game time... as we can clearly see with other individuals, some kids practice well and are lost come game time, while others for whatever reason, don't practice too consistently, but are "gamers" and can get it done under the lights...

doubleDs- I would LOVE to support you in supporting Jumper, but I have yet to see it. I do not go back over film and I do not isolate on players other than one play at a time. I am NOT part of the $ conspiracy in why he is being on the field. That all said #1, can you point to any play in an actual game where Jumper just blew up the offense or made a huge play for our defense? Give me a fig leaf, give me and VN just one man! #2 I want our defense to be effective enough to win every game, the times I have watched Jumper play it comes at a time when our defense does not appear effective enough to win. Therefore I can be convinced, but not on feelings, show me the data/plays where you see his being very effective please.

Great post--- I think the problem here is this isn't an example of a kid coming off the bench for the first time and getting overwhelmed like a Jacob Johnson or if Gavin Bryant were to step up... Jumper has seen plenty of game time, all the way back to opening day last year against Bowling Green and I can't remember a single play where he did something to help the defense... unfortunately I can remember many plays where he has gotten beat, lost, over committed , and simply looked lost or two steps behind the play... That is why I have taken a harder stance on this because while he may be practicing well AGAIN this year, all Shoop has to do is plug in some tape from last season to see his performance in games... that should speak volumes and that is what bothers me. The staff has seen game film on him, yet still say he is the guy...

Reactions: 1 person
JUMPER is simply NOT fast enough & NOT strong enough to play in the SEC against superior athletes, but since OHIO is a "run first" type team and Jumper is at best on their level of a MAC team then I guess CBJ & staff see's him as a great fit.............but NOW against any offensive mastermind such as McIwain, I bet they are licking their chops when they see Jumper on the field as they will call every play and make sure that he's involved as they KNOW that he (Jumper) wont make the play.............

Unless we make it through the 4-game gauntlet and somehow come out 3-1, I would redshirt him. He is too dang good to have him waste 4-5 games (and the most important ones) if we are just a 9-3 to 10-2 team. I would much rather have him for next year completely healthy and a shot at the playoffs. Once we get past that 4-game stretch, if he wasn't ready to play any of those games, I don't foresee us really needing him for the last part of the schedule....and then you realistically only have him for the SEC Championship game if the best you go is 2-2.

These are just my opinions though, and I know most will disagree with it. I just feel like an extra year of eligibility would be better.

Maybe it's a little on recruiting but we have talent they just haven't been coached up or prepared it seems

What a lousy off the hand remark. I guess they didn't coach Kirkland either. I don't understand why those who want people to think they know something about football make such uninformed statements.

Give him a chance? Did you miss the end of last season? We blew out UK, Vandy, and Northwestern. In those games he got a lot of playing time in the 4th quarter. How many plays do you remember where he blew up a RB, or had great coverage on a TE, or I don't know, got his name called for making a play. Wait there was one, he was beat on a NW TD but the QB threw the ball behind the receiver and he popped it up for Berry to run it back.

Unfortunately I think he's right, but we shall see. Butch has everybody guessing at this point which is probably his intention.

I think moving JRM over is the obvious move here, but what do I know?

Jumper is a good practice player, so let's go with him.

Can anyone offer any insight into why Bituli was moved to DE? I get that he's a little tall and lanky for LB but all I heard out of camp was that he had great instincts and speed at LB. Same with Austin Smith. We're loaded at end, and now, very thin at LB. That's a head scratcher. I also know that he probably wouldn't get these reps, just curious. Anybody? Anybody?

Haven't been to practice so I can not give an informed answer to your question. I doubt anyone who posts on here can either. However, I expect many posters will find a few negative comments.

Just a thought, but Butch lauds the recruiting "profile" and has recruited a number of highly touted prospects at LB who he claims "fit," but cannot find the field other than glimpses on special teams.

Either his "profile" is seriously flawed or Thig cannot prepare and develop talent.
Consider Austin Smith, who played LB last year and was getting all kinds of hype and is now relegated to 4th string DE.
Consider Bynum who proved serviceable in replacing AJ again Iowa and now can't find the field.

So, these players can't beat out a walk on, who is often out of position, bites on play fakes, and arm tackles.
Sapp, Bates, McDowell, Bituli, Bryant, Berry, and Bynum.

Maybe you should take a try at coaching. On second thought, I doubt that would be a good idea.

Unless we make it through the 4-game gauntlet and somehow come out 3-1, I would redshirt him. He is too dang good to have him waste 4-5 games (and the most important ones) if we are just a 9-3 to 10-2 team. I would much rather have him for next year completely healthy and a shot at the playoffs. Once we get past that 4-game stretch, if he wasn't ready to play any of those games, I don't foresee us really needing him for the last part of the schedule....and then you realistically only have him for the SEC Championship game if the best you go is 2-2.

These are just my opinions though, and I know most will disagree with it. I just feel like an extra year of eligibility would be better.

We get through that stretch and are in line for the playoffs? We might need him.

So, these players can't beat out a walk on, who is often out of position, bites on play fakes, and arm tackles.
Sapp, Bates, McDowell, Bituli, Bryant, Berry, and Bynum.

Considering Jumper is #1 on the depth chart, evidently not....

I'm not happy about it either but at the present moment, it is what it is...

So players don't improve. They don't get better. They don't earn their way? He can't do the job even if given a chance?

He is a liability on the field and it has been very clear from last year and also in the VT game. He just doesn't have the athletic ability to be effective. The coaches have him in there because he is a smart player and knows the defense and is able to get everyone in the right position, if anyone else on the roster could rival that ability they would be on the field. Unfortunately we don't have anyone and don't think for a second that opposing offenses don't know that and that they aren't foaming at the mouth to take advantage of that. Look forward to the UF game where they prep and target him to take advantage.

I DK guys, I see what Butch is doing and it's working, it's just not working fast enough for a lot of people. You don't just walk out on the field and score a hundred point shut out. Nobody is going to give you a season. I think the problem is too many of us bought into the preseason hype and just crowned them NC before the season even started. Just strait up gave it to them for no reason at all. This is the problem with preseason hype. We can do this, but it's going to take progression through a season. It's going to take growth. It's going to take careful management of a season.

"US"? Most reasonable people saw this team as a 9 or 10 win team with the possibility of everything falling our way and somehow making it to the playoffs. Anyone who has guaranteed a NC before the season or now are the same kids who claim that we will beat Florida and Bama every damn year.

I would bet that Jumper is just as good and athletic as Nick Reviez was and everybody loved him. The difference is the talent level around them making Jumper look worse. IMO

I'll say this for Jumper, he always seems to be in position to not make the play. That in itself is impressive. But seriously, if jumper is our best bet, it's time to go to a nickel as our base defense. Better not to have MLB, then one who can't tackle or gets lost in space.

Complete recruiting failure at the LB position if Jumper is our next man up
Jumper is the next man up because he and DKjr are the only two the coaches are comfortable enough with to get the other 10 in the right positions. Are their more talented options than Jumper? Sure but what good is it to have more talent at one position, if that creates others not being in the right position? It's basically the lesser of two evils.

Is it too late to get Cecil Cherry back?....
Completely kidding. I would rather have Jumper than him.

UF and UGA are the games that matter. They will decide the East. Coaches have a week to find a patch that will hold-- on both lines.

I'm going to be that guy - My next door neighbor is an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in ankles. He told me that 6 weeks at the very MINIMUM and that is assuming no ligament damage the slightest bit.. He also said even if he came back and played he will NOT be 100% this season. So expect DK out for some time and not be completely healthy for the remainder of 2016 season.

LOL.

Have you followed sports before?

High ankle sprains happen all the time. And they do involve ligament damage. That's what a sprain is. A slight tear of the ligaments. The reason it's called a sprain than a complete tear is because the tear is not significant enough to require surgery and the body can naturally heals it.

6 weeks is not the minimum but typically the maximum for a high ankle sprain. Since athletes are treated with the most advanced sports science, Chris Lowe's timeline is the most likely. 3-4 weeks is about right for a high ankle sprain like the one DKjr suffered.

Your neighbour might not be who he says he is if he gave you this advice.

We get through that stretch and are in line for the playoffs? We might need him.

Isn't that what I said though? 3-1 and you don't redshirt him. 2-2 isn't going to get you in the playoffs. Too many teams will be 1-loss champs or no loss. Especially with Houston most likely running the table if they beat Lousiville. If we don't have playoff hopes you redshirt him.

VN Store

Back