Louisville prepared to lose women's basketball coach Jeff Walz to Tennessee

Maybe our past experience with “search” committees and admin/bot competency influences my feelings.

Let Phil do his job. Consult Kara. Forget personal agenda. Do what is best for program.

And 1.5 million is not that much to get a coach; crunch the numbers and look at pay back time IF the program becomes success again. What hire makes that most likely?

Fire away, but I don’t like the feel I get from DP’s post. Not you DP👍, just the feel for who might be driving this search and what their motives and agenda are.

Wish I could give you 50 likes Smallvol. If that info is accurate, than the athletic department is still clearly a dysfunctional joke that will botch this important hire...

She's a great offensive mind, and offense is something that has been lacking in this program for many years. I think Balcomb does much better as an assistant, much like Caldwell (Fargas).

I honestly think people are hanging on to Pat's legacy a bit too much. Pat's coaching tree is big but it isn't deep. I honestly believe Gail or Niele Ivey should be given the strongest consideration given the cirumstances. And I think either one of them would have the support of the alumni and the fanbase. It doesn't HAVE to be a former player. People really need to let go of that. Gail has always been respectful of Pat and the UT program. She had trouble at Texas for similar reasons that Nikki has had trouble at LSU; she didn't recruit well. I will say that Aston has recruited well to Texas, even though she's a horrible coach, but it's harder in Texas to recruit with Baylor and A&M around. I actually believe Gail would do quite well here, and she would immediately be a top 2-3 coach in the league. And she would have a much easier time recruiting. If I'm Fulmer, I talk to her and offer her and make her say no. She may even be my top choice if I'm Fulmer. If she says yes, then Kellie and Niele. Then as last resorts, Fargas or McCray. Rueck isn't going to leave OSU and I don't believe Close would be successful here at all. She's been only modestly successful at UCLA, despite recruiting very well, with help of where she is located.

I've always thought Gail would be a good choice for Tennessee. As you've mentioned, she has always shown a high regard and respect for the program and Pat.

She has WNBA connections and knows what it takes for future players to develop their game for the next level.

She's been broadcasting games the past few years so she knows what is going on at the collegiate level.

The rumor was she was very underappreciated at Duke. If she has success at UT, the fanbase would give her tons of support and fully back her. That would be a selling point.

However, to me, just as important as the head coaching hire is, the rest of the staff is just as crucial. Melanie as the offensive-minded coach would be great and I would consider keeping Reaves as the recruiter but I think Dean's stay at UT needs to be over. Nice guy but so-so coach, especially with the bigs.

I would rather have Tennessee hire Gail Goestenkors the former Duke and Texas head coach who is an assistant with the Indiana Fever than hire Texas head coach Karen Aston or Ohio State head coach Kevin McGuff.

Gail is not an assistant for the Fever. She left in 2015.

Any idea who is on the search committee? Or even if there is a search committee?
I would feel great about it if Candace, Kara and Tamika were on it. Kara especially has up to date insights on the women’s college game. All of these gals are such great ambassadors for UT!
Also, I was in a restaurant yesterday and saw that Nell Fortner et al were talking and the crawl said something like “who’s the best fit for Lady Vols”. Any interesting takes from that? As an aside my burger was overdone and dry🤨

Last edited:
Yep, she was.

I also think a fringe candidate should be Nikki McCray. She was incredibly instrumental at SC in recruiting and getting that NC, and she's done well at ODU so far. Given her success and she's a former LV, it would make sense to at least have her on the list. Honestly she's just as impressive as Kellie, whose only remotely qualifying attribute is her teams' S16 run this year.

Whoever the new coach is, they should be smart with their assistant coaching hires. I think they would be wise to keep Sharona on the staff and possibly Dean, but also be smart enough to know who will help them in recruiting and also coaching an offense.

Yes to Nikki Caldwell !! Bring her home!!

Any idea who is on the search committee? Or even if there is a search committee?
I would feel great about it if Candace, Kara and Tamika were on it. Kara especially has up to date insights on the women’s college game. All of these gals are such great ambassadors for UT!
Also, I was in a restaurant yesterday and saw that Nell Fortner et al were talking and the crawl said something like “who’s the best fit for Lady Vols”. Any interesting takes from that? As an aside my burger was overdone and dry🤨
I was told there was not a search committee but several former LVs were going to be asked for input! I would guess the ones you talked about and maybe Michelle Marchinic sp.

The new article on Jeff Walz states he is going away for a week on vacation so if we hear about a basketball announcement before a week is up does that mean it isn’t Walz?

ULs AD sounded confident that he and Walz has a great chance to keep him and even said he budgets the UL team to be operating at a loss so the funding won’t change because he doesn’t count on it to produce money.

Don’t know why 🤔 but every time I think of Walz the phase “hide ya kids, hide ya wife” comes to mind!

VN Store

Back