volunteer04
Senior Member
- Joined
- Oct 20, 2004
- Messages
- 121
- Likes
- 0
Looks like Spurrier will lose 3 scholarships.
Posted on Tue, Apr. 26, 2005
Spurrier hints at sanctions
NCAA violations could cost program up to three scholarships, coach says
By JOSEPH PERSON
Staff Writer
The State Newspaper
Columbia, SC
USC coach Steve Spurrier said Monday that the Gamecocks football program could lose as many as three scholarships as a result of the ongoing NCAA investigation into violations that occurred under former coach Lou Holtz.
The only thing I heard is we may lose two or three scholarships, Spurrier said in a meeting with local print reporters. Then theyll take that and move on.
While Spurrier did not elaborate on the extent of possible sanctions, his comments were the first indication by a school official that the violations were significant enough to merit penalties.
USC athletics director Mike McGee called talk of NCAA sanctions premature, adding that he hopes the nearly 3-year-old investigation will be concluded when he retires June 30.
(The case) is still being worked. Theyre very busy. Theyve got lots of cases theyre working, McGee said. I think its a reality (to be finished by June), but there are several steps still ahead of us.
Russ Pate, the schools NCAA faculty athletics representative, said he does not believe theres been much movement lately.
Im not aware that anything is imminent, said Pate, a professor in the exercise science department. I wish it was. (Spurrier) may be right about that, but I sure cant confirm it.
School officials had been working toward a summary disposition, a process in which the NCAA and the school agree on violations and the corresponding sanctions or self-imposed penalties. McGee, USC general counsel Walter H. Parham and SEC commissioner Mike Slive traveled to the NCAAs Indianapolis headquarters a year ago to discuss the investigation.
McGee would not comment when asked about whether the school is seeking a summary disposition.
The investigation is believed to be centered on academic eligibility issues. Former senior associate AD Tom Perry, who oversaw the academic and student support program, left the school in June in a personnel move related to the NCAA case.
Two auditors were on campus last week to examine USCs compliance procedures as part of the SECs regular review of its schools compliance efforts. The auditors met with several USC officials, including Pate and Spurrier. During head-coaching stops at Duke and Florida, Spurriers programs were never cited for major NCAA violations, and he said he hoped the NCAA considers his track record.
The (auditors) were very complimentary of my background and what we did at Florida and how we worked there, Spurrier said. Hopefully, whatever penalties that have to be assessed here will be very light because of the infractions that happened three, four years ago five years ago.
Should the Gamecocks be penalized, history will repeat itself for Spurrier. Shortly after he replaced Galen Hall at Florida in 1990, the Gators were placed on probation for two years violations that took place during Halls tenure.
Why punish a group of young men that had nothing to do with what happened four or five years ago? Spurrier said. But then again, thats the way the NCAAs always operated, so maybe thats the way its going to be.
Reach Person at (803) 771-8496 or jperson@thestate.com.
Posted on Tue, Apr. 26, 2005
Spurrier hints at sanctions
NCAA violations could cost program up to three scholarships, coach says
By JOSEPH PERSON
Staff Writer
The State Newspaper
Columbia, SC
USC coach Steve Spurrier said Monday that the Gamecocks football program could lose as many as three scholarships as a result of the ongoing NCAA investigation into violations that occurred under former coach Lou Holtz.
The only thing I heard is we may lose two or three scholarships, Spurrier said in a meeting with local print reporters. Then theyll take that and move on.
While Spurrier did not elaborate on the extent of possible sanctions, his comments were the first indication by a school official that the violations were significant enough to merit penalties.
USC athletics director Mike McGee called talk of NCAA sanctions premature, adding that he hopes the nearly 3-year-old investigation will be concluded when he retires June 30.
(The case) is still being worked. Theyre very busy. Theyve got lots of cases theyre working, McGee said. I think its a reality (to be finished by June), but there are several steps still ahead of us.
Russ Pate, the schools NCAA faculty athletics representative, said he does not believe theres been much movement lately.
Im not aware that anything is imminent, said Pate, a professor in the exercise science department. I wish it was. (Spurrier) may be right about that, but I sure cant confirm it.
School officials had been working toward a summary disposition, a process in which the NCAA and the school agree on violations and the corresponding sanctions or self-imposed penalties. McGee, USC general counsel Walter H. Parham and SEC commissioner Mike Slive traveled to the NCAAs Indianapolis headquarters a year ago to discuss the investigation.
McGee would not comment when asked about whether the school is seeking a summary disposition.
The investigation is believed to be centered on academic eligibility issues. Former senior associate AD Tom Perry, who oversaw the academic and student support program, left the school in June in a personnel move related to the NCAA case.
Two auditors were on campus last week to examine USCs compliance procedures as part of the SECs regular review of its schools compliance efforts. The auditors met with several USC officials, including Pate and Spurrier. During head-coaching stops at Duke and Florida, Spurriers programs were never cited for major NCAA violations, and he said he hoped the NCAA considers his track record.
The (auditors) were very complimentary of my background and what we did at Florida and how we worked there, Spurrier said. Hopefully, whatever penalties that have to be assessed here will be very light because of the infractions that happened three, four years ago five years ago.
Should the Gamecocks be penalized, history will repeat itself for Spurrier. Shortly after he replaced Galen Hall at Florida in 1990, the Gators were placed on probation for two years violations that took place during Halls tenure.
Why punish a group of young men that had nothing to do with what happened four or five years ago? Spurrier said. But then again, thats the way the NCAAs always operated, so maybe thats the way its going to be.
Reach Person at (803) 771-8496 or jperson@thestate.com.