Lotta good quotes after the Vandy game

Irrational me is always so comforted by hearing KJH say the right things in a coherent, honest manner. Might not mean much on the court, but makes me feel better. I like what the players say also, it seems KJH has really restored the culture which is great for long term health of the program. Maybe her best first season accomplishment.

Let us hope that we can continue the floor game that got us 76 shots yesterday in the next two games. Of course we need to make about 40 instead of the 27 we made yesterday and that will equate to a blow out of the other team. I was really proud of the floor game we played to get us a 14 shot advantage because in the last several games it has been going the other way. If we can continue to do this we just need to shoot better to avoid these close wins.

slightly off-topic
-----
RPI -- 26 to Tennessee
-----------------------------------------------
26. Old Dominion C-USA 23-4
27. Drake MVC 19-7 *
28. Arizona St. Pac-12 19-9
29. Duke ACC 16-10 *
30. Michigan Big Ten 18-9 *
31. Western Ky. C-USA 20-6 *
32. Fl Gulf Coast U ASUN 24-2 *
33. South Dakota Summit League 25-2 *
34. LSU SEC 18-8
35. Arkansas SEC 21-6
36. Bradley MVC 18-6 *
37. Marquette Big East 21-7 *
38. Virginia Tech ACC 20-7 *
39. U Central Florida AAC 16-9 *
40. James Madison CAA 21-4 *
41. Purdue Big Ten 17-11 *
42. Creighton Big East 17-10 *
43. Drexel CAA 20-6 *
44. Rutgers Big Ten 19-8
45. Virginia ACC 12-15 *
46. Oklahoma St. Big 12 14-12 *
47. Ohio MAC 17-8 *
48. Troy Sun Belt 20-4 *
49. Charlotte C-USA 19-7 *
50. UT Martin OVC 18-9 *
51. Iowa St. Big 12 15-10 *
52. Texas Big 12 16-10
53. Dayton Atlantic 10 20-8 *
54. Penn Ivy League 16-5 *
55. Tennessee SEC 18-9

* the 23 teams I have no doubt the LVs could beat on a neutral court

Am I right? Comments?

If you can’t tell it’s a more positive culture, you aren’t listening. Coach gives honest and poignant answers and doesn’t sugarcoat problem areas.

The players speak with so much more positivity and they seem much more team focused. I truly believe we’re going to see some awesome things next season, maybe even to close this season.

If we can get through the regular season and win these next two games I believe anything can happen.

slightly off-topic
-----
RPI -- 26 to Tennessee
-----------------------------------------------
26. Old Dominion C-USA 23-4
27. Drake MVC 19-7 *
28. Arizona St. Pac-12 19-9
29. Duke ACC 16-10 *
30. Michigan Big Ten 18-9 *
31. Western Ky. C-USA 20-6 *
32. Fl Gulf Coast U ASUN 24-2 *
33. South Dakota Summit League 25-2 *
34. LSU SEC 18-8
35. Arkansas SEC 21-6
36. Bradley MVC 18-6 *
37. Marquette Big East 21-7 *
38. Virginia Tech ACC 20-7 *
39. U Central Florida AAC 16-9 *
40. James Madison CAA 21-4 *
41. Purdue Big Ten 17-11 *
42. Creighton Big East 17-10 *
43. Drexel CAA 20-6 *
44. Rutgers Big Ten 19-8
45. Virginia ACC 12-15 *
46. Oklahoma St. Big 12 14-12 *
47. Ohio MAC 17-8 *
48. Troy Sun Belt 20-4 *
49. Charlotte C-USA 19-7 *
50. UT Martin OVC 18-9 *
51. Iowa St. Big 12 15-10 *
52. Texas Big 12 16-10
53. Dayton Atlantic 10 20-8 *
54. Penn Ivy League 16-5 *
55. Tennessee SEC 18-9

* the 23 teams I have no doubt the LVs could beat on a neutral court

Am I right? Comments?
True and that is why this years schedule hurts so bad we need a few teams like this on the schedule to put us in a better position. Had to play the schedule that the previous coach dealt us and it is the reason were on the borderline now.

Irrational me is always so comforted by hearing KJH say the right things in a coherent, honest manner. Might not mean much on the court, but makes me feel better. I like what the players say also, it seems KJH has really restored the culture which is great for long term health of the program. Maybe her best first season accomplishment.

Are you a twin sibling I never knew I had? o_O It’s uncanny how often you have the exact same thoughts as I do.

True and that is why this years schedule hurts so bad we need a few teams like this on the schedule to put us in a better position. Had to play the schedule that the previous coach dealt us and it is the reason were on the borderline now.

I can't see that the RPI is any accurate refection of a team's strength.

Take Troy, for instance, ranked 48 to our 55.

Troy has played one ranked opponent...Mississippi State. Troy lost that game 122-82.

Aside from Duke, the rest of their schedule consists of what we would call "cupcakes."

Troy has played one ranked opponent...Mississippi State. Troy lost that game 122-82.

Aside from Duke, the rest of their schedule consists of what we would call "cupcakes."
The RPI has always been a crap system it is figured by taking 25 percent of your teams winning percentage so that would be 18 for Tennessee and 20 for them so they would be slightly higher. Then you take 50 percent of opponents winning percentage evidently their opponents have won a lot of games. Then the final is 25 percent of opponents opponents winning percentage. The problem with them is that their SOS is 188 and ours is 72 so no way I see them going ahead of us even with a slightly higher RPI. That crappy non-conference schedule is all the reason were where we are. We needed more teams in the 150 to 200 range instead of so many over 300. That want happen again that was Holly and who know why she even went that route.

I understand your point, but aren’t we 0-6 or so against ranked teams?

Are you a twin sibling I never knew I had? o_O It’s uncanny how often you have the exact same thoughts as I do.
Actually we're triplets and Coach J is the third. Also, if you're having my thoughts would you get therapy and share the results with me so I don't have to pay?

Reactions: lvocd
Hopefully every opponent on our board wins their next two games. Not likely to happen since five of the teams we played haven't broken 10 wins yet. ETSU would've won a lot more if their best player hadn't got injured. Basically were not out if we win our next two games and against any bad team we play in the SEC tourney. If that doesn't happen winning the SEC tourney is the only other opportunity. If we can't beat Ole Miss and Auburn we probably need to stay at home just not tournament worthy were better than both those teams.

Vandy’s Coach White said:

They hit a lot of tough shots. They did what great teams do. I am always talking about how awesome of an opportunity it is to come and set foot in this gym and play in front of these fans. I think – especially for our young kids - to come and experience that in a competitive environment and put yourself in position to win a ball game, that is why we play the game."

Seems like we read from so many opposing Coaches that it’s always a big deal to play a game at Tennessee. No other place like it. Teams will always get up to play us. It’s great to be a Tennessee Vol!

I understand your point, but aren’t we 0-6 or so against ranked teams?

Yeah, and that's not good. And we got pounded by several even when being competetive or even leading at the half.

But we also dropped close games to KY at full strength in Lexington (4 pts) and to Texas A&M (2 points) with Carter back, had a good shot at beating Arkansas at their place, and beat ND when they were (over)ranked.

Meanwhile, Princeton has only played one ranked team (#19 Iowa) and lost by 2. And they're currently #25 AP poll and a #6 seed in latest bracketology.

So we're 1-7 against ranked opponents while Princeton is 0-1.

Anyone think we wouldn't have done better against Dartmouth, Brown, and Cornell as opposed to SC, Stanford, UCONN, and MS State?

Last edited:
Yeah, and that's not good. And we got pounded by several even when being competetive or even leading at the half.

But we also dropped close games to KY at full strength in Lexington (4 pts) and to Texas A&M (6 points) with Carter back, had a good shot at beating Arkansas at their place, and beat ND when they were (over)ranked.

Meanwhile, Princeton has only played one ranked team (#19 Iowa) and lost by 2. And they're currently #25 AP poll and a #6 seed in latest bracketology.

Anyone think we wouldn't have done better against Dartmouth, Brown, and Cornell as opposed to SC, Stanford, UCONN, and MS State?

I agree and believe teams in tough conferences aren’t rewarded enough. During our tough stretch we started with UCONN 1/23 then played LSU, Vandy, SC, MSST, LSU, Texas A&M and finally Arkansas on 2/20. All of those teams aside from Vandy have been ranked or have nearly been like LSU.

In under a month we played 7 really tough games, and Vandy, the eighth, had a their “full” roster both times we played when they have sat either Newby or Love in most of their other games.

You’d be hard pressed to find a time in the last 7 seasons UCONN ever played a stretch of games like that.

But we also dropped close games to KY at full strength in Lexington (4 pts) and to Texas A&M (2 points) with Carter back, had a good shot at beating Arkansas at their place, and beat ND when they were (over)ranked.

Good point.
The world is sooo unfair and not entirely orange. Go figure.

VN Store

Back