LOOKING BACK

Against: P.J. Tucker (Texas), Chris Wilcox (Maryland) Enloe HS, Raleigh, NC. Fun fact: Wilcox kicked me in the face when I pump faked him on a 3. Wilcox was a monster 6’9’’. He was a freak.

Shavlik Randolph (Duke) Broughton HS, Raleigh, NC. He was the Best High School Player I’ve ever played against. He tuned us up for 37 in the Quarterfinals of State.

Reggie Love (Duke) Providence Day HS, Charlotte, NC. He was pretty good. I did okay against. He wasn’t as athletic as you’d think. Helluva a beer pong player though, although Me and my buddy handled Love and Chris Duhon in beer pong. #Winning Not bad for Obama’s right hand man.

Chris Hobbs (Clemson) East Chapel Hil HS . He was a monster just like Wilcox. State Champ. Played against him once and with him at some camps. He was already having knee problems as a junior. Really nice guy that passed away way too early from heart problems.

Brendan Haywood (UNC) Dudley HS, Greensboro, NC. He was huge and kind of did what he did at UNC, dunked and got rebounds. We beat his ass in State my freshman year when I got moved up to Varsity during the postseason. I got garbage minutes, so I mostly watched Haywood.

Serge Zwikker (UNC) Played pickup against him. Still can’t believe he had the career he did after playing pickup against him.

I used to play pickup ball at the TRECS against Cedric Houston, Gerald Riggs Jr. and other NFL guys when they would come back and workout during the Summer. Those games hurt. A lot. They were like playing against the 80’s Pistons, but they didn’t mean to. They just beat the $hit out of you because that’s what they were used to.

Don't forget about Randy Denton from Enloe 🙂

On the memory of
The Dance we shared, beneath the stars above....

Oh sorry, I thought this was a Garth Brooks appreciation thread. :)

Reactions: ArdentVol
Watched

Penny Hardaway
LaMarcus Golden - remember my Dad and I going to watch him because we were excited about him signing with the Vols. He was so smooth on the HS floor.
Nikki McCray - HS and AAU

penny a vol? what happened to screw that up?
SORRY penny for my attention span

Football can be included/

Grew up in Jacksonville FL, I played against Chipper Jones in baseball and Brian Dawkins in football. Both Hall of Famers now. I played with and against a whole bunch of others who may not be household names but went to big time programs and at least had brief stints in pro sports; Desi Relaford (baseball), Sid Roberson (baseball), Erict Rhett (football), Lamar Thomas (football) are just a few.

The best two local basketball players during my day were James Collins and Stacey Poole. Collins went to FSU and was drafted in the second round of the NBA draft. He hung around the league for about 10 years or so. Stacey Poole went to Florida and graduated as their 4th all-time leading scorer. Two torn Achilles tendons kept him out of the NBA.

I also ran track against Leroy Butler, who played for the Green Bay Packers. I got a great view of the back of his T&F uniform.

We’re from the same era, my friend. Bobby Bowden was recruiting a couple guys off my High School football team, most notably Warren Hart and Jimmie Wimberly. I distinctly remember FSU assistant Brad Scott coming to one of our practices with Leroy Butler and Edgar Bennett. Both were already at FSU, we were in awe. Warren Hart actually played at FSU, caught 4 TD’s as a true Freshman against Michigan, ended up flaming out because of conditioning or so the story goes. Wimberly went to UTEP.

Both Butler and Bennett went to Lee High School in Jacksonville. Between Lee and Raines and Ribault, those High Schools were churning out D1 players and eventual NFL guys like crazy beginning in the late 80’s and 90’s and ever since.

Best guys I saw play:

Courtney Alexander (UVA) Jordan HS in Durham, NC
Rodney Rogers (Wake) Hillside HS Durham, NC.

Donald Williams (UNC) Garner, NC

Reactions: Pappy and ArdentVol
Devin Ebanks absolutely dunked in my face during a pickup game in Morgantown, he was probably the best athlete I've ever been on the same court/field with. He went to the Lakers but never did much in the NBA. I blocked a 3 pointer by Johnny West (Jerry's son) in the same game, but he wasn't an exceptional athlete or anything.

It's very humbling to get completely boat raced by someone's D- effort and then see them struggle on the big stage.

Played against marlon brown in high school basketball, went to Georgia to play WR and I know he played for the Baltimore ravens for a bit.
Ahh yes. The Marlon Brown who Kiffin was supposed to bring in and then Orgeron screwed up the in home visit...or something along those lines

I actually talked to Marlon about what happened, orgeron and kiffin rubbed his grandmother the wrong way. That’s what caused it
I heard something like that. I actually remember being on here and following that recruitment a little bit. There were rumors that Orgeron showed up w/ booze on his breath or that he used what was perceived as a racist term, but he said it as a derogatory term towards Cajuns. Marlon Brown was Kiffin’s #1 target If I recall.

I heard something like that. I actually remember being on here and following that recruitment a little bit. There were rumors that Orgeron showed up w/ booze on his breath or that he used what was perceived as a racist term, but he said it as a derogatory term towards Cajuns. Marlon Brown was Kiffin’s #1 target If I recall.
They both rubbed his grandmother wrong but I don’t know the specifics but those are his words . He was an insane athlete

Best guys I saw play:

Courtney Alexander (UVA) Jordan HS in Durham, NC
Rodney Rogers (Wake) Hillside HS Durham, NC.

Donald Williams (UNC) Garner, NC

hillside was coached by dave odom during my years in durham... he spent a lot of time hanging around the sports dept.... think he's in charge of wowee maui invitational

...never covered any prep sports there and cant recall what kinda teams jordan had. used norther high;s track daily for years

john lucas was another hillside great i believe

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Played against marlon brown in high school basketball, went to Georgia to play WR and I know he played for the Baltimore ravens for a bit.

heard that same stoy about kiff and ogre while they in home with memphis wr who signed with southern cal

hillside was coached by dave odom during my years in durham... he spent a lot of time hanging around the sports dept.... think he's in charge of wowee maui invitational

...never covered any prep sports there and cant recall what kinda teams jordan had. used norther high;s track daily for years

John Lucas was an excellant tennis player in HS, too

Do you remember Terry Woods? Durham HS in late 60's

I’ve heard some stories about Dave Odom and none of them have been positive.

John Lucas was an excellant tennis player in HS, too

Do you remember Terry Woods? Durham HS in late 60's

dont think s0.../was living in knpxville at that.name is vaguely familiar. help me out.
lucas legendary on tennis court

Last edited:

VN Store

Back