Looking back will you be satisfied with 5 q wins and 3 cc wins this season.

Cupcake is for any team that is bad. Vandy fits that description more than 75% traditionally.
We have always made fun of Vandy and Kentucky but we started using the word cupcake when UT like other schools started adding 2-3, sometimes 4 games against the South Alabama State and Memphis's of the world which you really started seeing alot in early 90's as "revenue" games, where you pay a team to come in and take their beating in exchange for another home game for the Knoxville community. Those kind of games were much more rare before that.

Several folks on here pretty much guaranteed 4-8 after Pitt, so I quit paying attention. So what happened?

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Provided we do win out bowl included. 5 quality wins and 3 cup cakes.
Why are you looking at this from a Negative Viewpoint with a Catch 22 question. Geez.... We will finish 4-4 in the SEC with less than 70 scholarship players, an internal investigation (NCAA) aided, a first year HC and Staff, less Star Talent than we have had since 1984, No Depth, injuries to key players a grueling SEC Scheduled. Everybody has CupCakes. I guess you want Pruitt Back? Jones? This team has grown and played through the adversity through sound Coaching. I am tired of Pretty Boys (Kiffin) Historians (Dooley), Used Car Salesmen (Jones), and Country Boys with Narcissist (Pruitt). We may not have the best Coach in the NCAA but we have a Leader and A Coach. If he and staff can get the recruits in, Watch out. Plus we will not need these type of questions asked on this forum. Like most fans some of us have grown to become quit looking at the dark side of things and start looking forward....

Reactions: CR-vol and 08Vol
We have always made fun of Vandy and Kentucky but we started using the word cupcake when UT like other schools started adding 2-3, sometimes 4 games against the South Alabama State and Memphis's of the world which you really started seeing alot in early 90's as "revenue" games, where you pay a team to come in and take their beating in exchange for another home game for the Knoxville community. Those kind of games were much more rare before that.
Old news. Vandy is still a cupcake this year.

Even Cornbread could put together enough wins ooc and against the other East bottom feeders to have one of college footballs longest winning streaks. Then he was exposed when facing teams with winning records.
Kentucky was a good win, the rest just wins.

. . . the very next day, 2 more teams we've beaten became bowl eligible.

the road to a NC will get a lot more difficult starting in 2022. They are going to vote next month on going to 12 team playoff next year.

Goal has to be winning division and getting to the SEC Championship game. That will get you into the playoffs. But that just means no off game or fluke bounce of the football if you expect to win the NC.. Lots will have to go right.

Honestly a 12 team playoff makes it easier for us to get in. Right now we would most likely have to beat Bama twice to win the SEC and get in. With a 12 team playoff we can get in splitting with Bama 1-1 or losing to Bama regular season and playing a different team in the SEC Championship. Remember UGA first made the playoffs by beating Auburn in the SEC Championship and avoiding Bama until the National Championship.

Heupels system is perfect for teams that lack depth. Move quick and catch the other guys off guard, and score some points. You always have a chance if you can make it a shootout. I’m interested in seeing once we get the players in, will he change his philosophy and try to have a more balanced approach.

Heupel’s system depends on defenders not knowing their assignments based on the different looks the offense shows. This is college and during the week players don’t spent 24/7 going over film or studying their assignments. Normally when someone is out of alignment or confused on defense the defensive leader, normally a LB, gets them in the correct position before the snap. If the offense is going fast then that LB can’t correct his guys. This is part of the reason we see so many UT receivers wide open.

Also our offense depends heavily on runs up the middle and QB runs. These runs keep the safeties and LBs in the middle of the field. This means when our speedy WRs get past the initial tackler on the edges there isn’t a deep safety that can get to them in time. When those safeties & LBs start to cheat over presnap we see a lot of big run plays up the middle.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
I think CJH did exactly what he needed to do this year. He beat everyone he was supposed to, of course we'd love to have the Pitt and Florida game back, we'd drub the Gators right now. I think Milton deserved the starts in the beginning of the season based on practice and if I believe had we started Hooker against Pitt that would be a W, as well as Florida. Future looks bright, hope we can get some recruits

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Given how everything went down from last year to now………..I’ll definitely take 7-5, with a bowl opportunity.

All coaches left, tons of players left, NCAA cloud, 3 wins, then you got everything new, and injuries all season……..and Tennessee not only wins all of the games they “should” but they hammer those teams as they should. They are competitive in games vs really good teams in Pitt and Mississippi, and beat a decent to good KY team………..seriously what’s to complain about?

Tennessee has had 5 coaches since Fulmer and only 1 of them came in and went 7-5 year 1………that was NOT Kiffin…….it IS Heupel.

why on earth complain or not be happy about the best start in 13 years and 5 coaches?

Reactions: Sudden Impact
Well if we weren’t playing Bama every year, we’d be going to a better bowl. Am I satisfied with this year, hell yes, would you have taken this last year.

If IFs and BUTs were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Honestly a 12 team playoff makes it easier for us to get in. Right now we would most likely have to beat Bama twice to win the SEC and get in. With a 12 team playoff we can get in splitting with Bama 1-1 or losing to Bama regular season and playing a different team in the SEC Championship. Remember UGA first made the playoffs by beating Auburn in the SEC Championship and avoiding Bama until the National Championship.

I think the 12 team playoff picture will get minimum of 3 SEC teams in every year and some years perhaps 4.

If Bama moves to East when OK and Texas come in, we won't meet them in SECCG...

. . . the very next day, 2 more teams we've beaten became bowl eligible.
....and then comes rivalry week
Missouri is a 14.5 point dog to Arkansas
SC is a 11.5 point dog to Clemson

A 6-6 record is not a winning record, assuming both lose as underdogs this weekend.
Just because the Vols have not done it regularly recently it does not mean bowl eligibility
is a major feat for any SEC team not named Vanderbilt.

Provided we do win out bowl included. 5 quality wins and 3 cup cakes.

You are kidding, right?

After all the ridiculous horsecrap that has been happening in Knoxville? During most of this freakin century? I figured this team would be lucky to beat JUST the cupcakes, and Vanderbilt (which just as well BE considered a cupcake). The fact that my expectations were clearly exceeded. And this program looks finally to be on a truly positive track with no discernible signs of incompetence (at least so far?)

Take a wild guess if I am "satisfied". Seems an arrogant as Hell question.

Given how everything went down from last year to now………..I’ll definitely take 7-5, with a bowl opportunity.

All coaches left, tons of players left, NCAA cloud, 3 wins, then you got everything new, and injuries all season……..and Tennessee not only wins all of the games they “should” but they hammer those teams as they should. They are competitive in games vs really good teams in Pitt and Mississippi, and beat a decent to good KY team………..seriously what’s to complain about?

Tennessee has had 5 coaches since Fulmer and only 1 of them came in and went 7-5 year 1………that was NOT Kiffin…….it IS Heupel.

why on earth complain or not be happy about the best start in 13 years and 5 coaches?
Kiffin actually did go 7-5 in his first year. He lost the bowl game to finish 7-6.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back