Looking back will you be satisfied with 5 q wins and 3 cc wins this season.

Cupcakes IMO are an allusion. We see the “cupcakes” of the world giving the assumed superior teams all they can handle ever single Saturday. Word of advice- never use this word with a person who is responsible for scheming against teams on Saturdays. You’re likely to get an ear full! I’m pleased BTW with how far this team has come this season!
I think I see what you're alluding to. I have to concur that cupcakes are an illusion.

Sorry. I had to.

I predicted 6-6 for the season. I am most likely getting 7-5. I am satisfied with the win total. However......

The team is 1 year ahead of where I thought it would be in terms of changing the culture, getting the most out of the players, and working with what you have. This coaching staff has done a tremendous job in returning the Vols to respectability and moving us up in the SEC East. If the coaches can now hit the recruiting trail hard and flip some of these players in the 2022 class, then I will know we have an outstanding coaching staff on our hands.

This, except I said I'd be ecstatic at 6-6 before the season. If we can continue to over-achieve...

Reactions: 08Vol
I saw the ceiling as 8 wins this year, and sure enough if we win out including a bowl game there we are. Not sure if any other coach in the country would've been able to pull that off with what we have right now.
Heupels system is perfect for teams that lack depth. Move quick and catch the other guys off guard, and score some points. You always have a chance if you can make it a shootout. I’m interested in seeing once we get the players in, will he change his philosophy and try to have a more balanced approach.

Vols finish 8-5 and there isn't any reason whatsoever to complain.

That means they were a few plays away from a 10 win season given the outcomes of the Pitt and Ole Miss games.

I want to see them finish strong against S. AL and Vandy first though.

Even Fulmer had occasional trouble with Vandy with team losing focus and Vandy treating it like their bowl game.

Reactions: 08Vol and SAPPER 5
Based on how low our program was when Heup came in. baby steps should be acceptable for the 1st season. 8-5 should be considered good progress especially when we know a couple of those losses were winnable in the 4th qtr. No complaints

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Cupcakes IMO are an allusion. We see the “cupcakes” of the world giving the assumed superior teams all they can handle ever single Saturday. Word of advice- never use this word with a person who is responsible for scheming against teams on Saturdays. You’re likely to get an ear full! I’m pleased BTW with how far this team has come this season!
To what does "cupcakes" allude?

Every time I see a cupcakes comment I think about this SEC Shorts clip making fun of us a few years ago lol..

Yes, I'll be satisfied.

We can never forget the situation that CJH and this staff took over. Are we "on our way"...who knows, but we seem to have a coach that understands what is important to his players and isn't intimidated to play anybody. We didn't have zero talent, but we had some inexperienced talent after watching a lot of contributors transfer. I believe these players play their hearts out for this staff and if we can keep that going we are in MUCH better shape than we were a year ago.

Heup needs to show that he can recruit. I don't mean be in the top 5 recruiting next year, I mean he needs to show that he can find guys that fit his system and upgrade the roster across the board. I'm fine with a recruiting class that the "Experts" rank 15-25 in the country as long as Heup is getting "his guys".

If I had one criticism from this year, it is some of the play calling in those big games. I believe we abandon the middle of the field too quick and start playing everything outside down the sideline. I understand that that is how this offense works, create space and put your player in one on one situations to win, but with the lack of a consistent running game a dump over the middle is like a long handoff and it slows the linebackers down just enough to give the line a chance to block for the pass to the outside.

That is my only criticism, and we have scored a ton of points this year so its not much of a criticism.

The only dissatisfaction I have on the season is that we started Milton instead of Hooker to begin the season. That possibly cost us a win against Pittsburgh, as well as removing 2 games of starting experience that Hooker would have had.

Other than that, I’ll be very satisfied with a 7-5 final record. And a bowl win would be the cherry on top, and I’d view it as a tremendous 1st season for Coach Heupel.

Our losses were to Pitt, UF, Bama, Ole Miss, and UGA. We were underdogs in all of those games, yet Ole Miss was winnable if Hooker is in the game on the last drive, went toe to toe with Bama for 3 qtrs, would have beaten Pitt handily had Hooker started, and scored more on UGA than any team this year. We also beat a ranked KY on the road.

Heupel has done a bang up job in year one. Only truly disappointing game was UF, only because of seeing how bad they are now.
nailed it.

Mizzou, Vandy, and SC are not quality, they are awful. So six cupcakes, one quality (UK) and maybe a bowl win.
Even Cornbread could put together enough wins ooc and against the other East bottom feeders to have one of college footballs longest winning streaks. Then he was exposed when facing teams with winning records.
Kentucky was a good win, the rest just wins.

Our losses were to Pitt, UF, Bama, Ole Miss, and UGA. We were underdogs in all of those games, yet Ole Miss was winnable if Hooker is in the game on the last drive, went toe to toe with Bama for 3 qtrs, would have beaten Pitt handily had Hooker started, and scored more on UGA than any team this year. We also beat a ranked KY on the road.

Heupel has done a bang up job in year one. Only truly disappointing game was UF, only because of seeing how bad they are now.
It’s really nuts what happened to UF. They gave bama such a good game and pounded us. Then they decided to suck.

On paper, Tennessee wasn’t better than any of the teams we lost to, at the time of the game (Florida). We also weren’t better than Kentucky on paper. So in theory, we should’ve lost 6 regular season games. This defense has 4-8 level talent so I’ll give Tim Banks credit for the job he’s done, even considering how badly we handled the QB run and the Kentucky game. Offensively, Heupel is a savant. The coaches have exceed my expectations for year 1. In August, I expected the win total to hover around 5.5. Recruiting should finish around 20th. Assuming Hooker returns, as of today, I’d set the o/u win total next year at 8.5 and the recruiting ranking around 13. Happy with

Well if we weren’t playing Bama every year, we’d be going to a better bowl. Am I satisfied with this year, hell yes, would you have taken this last year.

From where I was in August to now? Yes, I am trending towards satisfied. 7-5 regular season and 4-4 in the conference exceeded my expectations. The growth I've seen in the players and the fun in their eyes has also greatly exceeded what I was hoping to see. And, I am wildly optimistic about what this staff can do with a full allotment of players.

VN Store

Back