Looking back will you be satisfied with 5 q wins and 3 cc wins this season.

Provided we do win out bowl included. 5 quality wins and 3 cup cakes.

No more looking back, look only forward. The rest of the SEC and even beyond that have laughed enough about us being living in the past Vols. Let's talk instead about the timeline for our becoming not only relevant again, but NC again.

Our losses were to Pitt, UF, Bama, Ole Miss, and UGA. We were underdogs in all of those games, yet Ole Miss was winnable if Hooker is in the game on the last drive, went toe to toe with Bama for 3 qtrs, would have beaten Pitt handily had Hooker started, and scored more on UGA than any team this year. We also beat a ranked KY on the road.

Heupel has done a bang up job in year one. Only truly disappointing game was UF, only because of seeing how bad they are now.

I was expecting to win in the range of 5 - 7 regular season games.
We (edit: should win) 7, and Miss. had to cheat to win.
I'm impressed by the way JH took the situation he was given when he arrived, brought in players from the portal, and formed a pretty good team.
I'm convinced we have a good coach. Can he become elite? Time will tell.
I'm pleased at this point.

Last edited:
I predicted 6-6 for the season. I am most likely getting 7-5. I am satisfied with the win total. However......

The team is 1 year ahead of where I thought it would be in terms of changing the culture, getting the most out of the players, and working with what you have. This coaching staff has done a tremendous job in returning the Vols to respectability and moving us up in the SEC East. If the coaches can now hit the recruiting trail hard and flip some of these players in the 2022 class, then I will know we have an outstanding coaching staff on our hands.

I was expecting to win in the range of 5 - 7 regular season games.
We won 7, and Miss. had to cheat to win.
I'm impressed by the way JH took the situation he was given when he arrived, brought in players from the portal, and formed a pretty good team.
I'm convinced we have a good coach. Can he become elite? Time will tell.
I'm pleased at this point.

Cart-before-the-horse.gif

Cupcakes IMO are an allusion. We see the “cupcakes” of the world giving the assumed superior teams all they can handle ever single Saturday. Word of advice- never use this word with a person who is responsible for scheming against teams on Saturdays. You’re likely to get an ear full! I’m pleased BTW with how far this team has come this season!

Reactions: savannahfan
Provided we do win out bowl included. 5 quality wins and 3 cup cakes.

regardless what happens the rest of the year I think this staff has done an outstanding job with this roster. Coming into the year I felt UT did not have a single player that has played up to their high school rankings in college. To play as they have is a credit to this staff IMO. I fully expect them to win the next 2 games and I never predict a bowl game without knowing who the opponent is.

Our losses were to Pitt, UF, Bama, Ole Miss, and UGA. We were underdogs in all of those games, yet Ole Miss was winnable if Hooker is in the game on the last drive, went toe to toe with Bama for 3 qtrs, would have beaten Pitt handily had Hooker started, and scored more on UGA than any team this year. We also beat a ranked KY on the road.

Heupel has done a bang up job in year one. Only truly disappointing game was UF, only because of seeing how bad they are now.

I would also add the Pit game as disappointing. With either QB playing it was winnable.

No more looking back, look only forward. The rest of the SEC and even beyond that have laughed enough about us being living in the past Vols. Let's talk instead about the timeline for our becoming not only relevant again, but NC again.
So few programs ever win a National Championship. Even for great teams so much has to go right, especially in the current football landscape, to make that a realistic goal.

Our conference is so formidable, that winning the SEC should be the main goal every year. If you do that...the National Championship then becomes a possibility, and the new goal. But it's icing on the cake. Honestly, to me...and many will disagree, the SEC Championship holds more importance. If you win that you have everyone else attention, because so few teams from other conferences could navigate the SEC successfully. It's special.

Nothing not to like, the remaining questions to be answered are; can they recruit and what happens when saban smart and whoever is at UF see this offense a few times. Can it continue to catch teams off guard will they learn to adjust to the speed. Do they spend a week or a few days of spring or fall camp saying okay this is UT prep week just to familiarize players with the offense a little early and does that help.
I don’t think the offense is necessarily gimmicky, but I think it’s different than what any team has prepared for in the past, so what happens when al those teams break down their tape at the end of the season to improve against an opponent. In season I think you break down tape and show your team where they can improve individually and as a unit. Off-season tape I think they would look at and say, how can we as coaches improve what we did against this team.

Reactions: 99bubble

the road to a NC will get a lot more difficult starting in 2022. They are going to vote next month on going to 12 team playoff next year.

Goal has to be winning division and getting to the SEC Championship game. That will get you into the playoffs. But that just means no off game or fluke bounce of the football if you expect to win the NC.. Lots will have to go right.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
So few programs ever win a National Championship. Even for great teams so much has to go right, especially in the current football landscape, to make that a realistic goal.

Our conference is so formidable, that winning the SEC should be the main goal every year. If you do that...the National Championship then becomes a possibility, and the new goal. But it's icing on the cake. Honestly, to me...and many will disagree, the SEC Championship holds more importance. If you win that you have everyone else attention, because so few teams from other conferences could navigate the SEC successfully. It's special.

All that is well and good. I still stand by what I said:

the road to a NC will get a lot more difficult starting in 2022. They are going to vote next month on going to 12 team playoff next year.

Goal has to be winning division and getting to the SEC Championship game. That will get you into the playoffs. But that just means no off game or fluke bounce of the football if you expect to win the NC.. Lots will have to go right.

Like I said to the other guy, all that is well and good. Still I stand by statement that:
No more looking back, look only forward. The rest of the SEC and even beyond that have laughed enough about us being living in the past Vols. Let's talk instead about the timeline for our becoming not only relevant again, but NC again. Oh, and what's that Nike ad? Yeah, I remember:
1637335514340.png

I'm with you per my previous post. Honestly...I could care less about the NC. It's icing on the cake if you get there.

Reactions: Rizzo924

Florida kind of gave up end of year

Reactions: 08Vol

VN Store

Back