Looking back, looking forward

NighthawkVol

In deciding whether or not this team met, fell short of, or exceeded expectations this season, it's really hard to say. It depends on when we look at the expectations, I guess. Following the scrimmages with Gonzaga and Michigan State, many, myself included, had high hopes for an SEC title and Final 4 run. Key was going to be a great addition and give us that basket-maker we needed to end dry spells. JJJ was finally healthy and (perhaps) ready to be consistent. ORN was back healthy. Phillips was a mature, focused, hard-working freshman who would provide a scoring punch if not early in the season, by March. We didn't know Key's game against Gonzaga was a fluke. Or that JJJ would struggle with injuries and consistency (again) all season. Or that Phillips would struggle to improve (even regressing, honestly). Or that Zeigler would blow his ACL.

Given all that happened, I'd say Sweet 16 is meeting expectations. We had some big wins. I always love beating Alabama, even when they're not as good as they were this year. The wins over Kansas, Texas, and Duke are all the kinds of wins this program used to never see. But finishing tied for 5th, losing twice to Kentucky, twice to Missouri, and once to Vandy was disappointing. And of course, we felt like we should have beaten that FAU team....which, as it turns out, was tragically under-seeded.

Looking ahead, as of right now, I have a lineup of:

PG- Zakai Ziegler, BJ Edwards
G- Jamai Mashack, Freddie Dilione, Cameron Carr
W- Julian Phillips, DJ Jefferson
PF- Tobe Awaka, Cade Phillips
C- Jonas Aidoo, JP Estrella

Add to that 1 portal big and 1 portal PG (or at least a CG). I guess it's also possible that we could land a last-minute decommit from another program that experiences coaching turnover, as we did with JP last year, but I don't know who that would be. Based on all that, it's impossible at this point to set expectations for next year. So many unknowns, including knowing what our current personnel will look like. My hopes/questions are:

1) Aidoo develops into the post he's capable of being and becomes a double-digit scorer, to go with his already stellar defense and rebounding.
2) Awaka develops an offensive game AND improves his FT shooting. I actually think he will develop as a scorer. He shows signs of being a good one.
3) Mashack continues to develop his offensive game. If he improves as much from Year 2 to Year 3 as he did from Year 1 to Year 2, he'll be a star. He's got the midrange jumper down. Extend that to the 3 point line, keep improving as a ball-handler/slasher, and he's All-SEC good.
4) ZZ makes a full recovery. It would also be nice to see him become a more consistent shooter. He has a great shot.
5) How do guys like Jefferson and Edwards develop? Can Jefferson shoot?
6) Freshmen: How ready is Dillione to play big minutes? Enrolling early, redshirting, and getting stronger should be huge for him. Carr is a shooter....will be be ready to be a knock down shooter as a freshman, though? Will the other aspects of his game allow him to get minutes? Can Estrella be our 3rd big man off the bench and handle that spot well?
7) Lastly, if Phillips comes back (I think he will), how much better will he be? He has gobs of potential. If he can become that star we need, that would be HUGE. Haven't had that since Grant and frankly, JP has a higher upside. This could be his team, the way Bama was Miller's team this year.

The answers to all of these questions will determine the course of next season. I have a feeling this could be a much better team than many expect.

As for opponents: we know we play Illinois in Knoxville. The field in Maui is going to be loaded, with Kansas, Purdue, Syracuse, Gonzaga, Marquette, and UCLA. So we'l play at least 2 powerhouses there, probably 3. I'm sure we'll see some more additions to the non-conference schedule. Win or lose those games, they should make our guys better.

As for the SEC:

1) Alabama will lose Miller, Clowney, Quinerly, and Gurley. Their top players next year will be Jaden Bradley, Mark Sears, and Charles Bediako. They have a nice recruiting class coming in, but no one you look at and say, that's an instant star...or even instant starter. So I think Bama takes a step back. Still a NCAAT team, but more like a 2023 Missouri level team than what we saw this year.

2) Kentucky is bringing in the best recruiting class of all-time (arguably). They lose Reeves, Frederick, Tshiebwe, Wheeler, Toppin, and Wallace. They do return Livingston. Super young, but super talented.

3) Missouri will still be good, IMO. Maybe better. They found a coach.

4) Vanderbilt: I'm impressed with Stackhouse. Just depends on what kind of talent he has next year. They return everyone but Robbins and Wright....but they were doing fine without Robbins at the end of the season. I think they'll improve and be a tough team. I expect the NCAAT for them, maybe more.

5) Florida: No idea. They sometimes showed signs of being a program on the rise and sometimes, they looked like a program that is going to flounder for awhile. If a coach is going to succeed, he usually makes a jump in Year 2. We'll see.

6) Auburn: Green and Johnson return. Their roster will be pretty similar to this year. Their fate will simply depend on whether or not they can become more consistent. They'll still be a very tough out.

7) Arkansas: They lose 4 studs from a disappointing team and bring in two 5*s. Meh. They'll have some talent, but I'm not expecting them to make a ton of noise.

Bottom line, this should be a wide-open SEC next year. I'm guessing most will predict Kentucky to win it in the preseason, based on name and that recruiting class, but recent history has shown that Cal can flop with teams built around the freshmen. I don't see another team that has a decided talent advantage on Tennessee and guys like ZZ, Mashack, Phillips, and Aidoo give us a lot of returning experience.

So this post is a lot of words saying, Tennessee could have a very average season next year or we could have a great season. Much depends on who we can get from the portal and how those 7 questions above are answered.

Good post. I think we’ll see Dillione playing the 1 more than people think, Estrella will be an interesting fit. He’ll play a Popovich style role— sometimes Euro 5, sometimes 4, sometimes true 5. Carr is rail thin. Have to worry about him handling big guards, but he shoots arrows from all areas. The Kentucky class looks like the Fab repeat. They’ll be very good. Arkansas and Bama will probably attract interesting transfers. Stute, Dia and Shelby transferring out of Vandy. We’re missing some key pieces, but are seeing interesting options in portal, and more to come. While we’ll be very young, I’m looking forward to a fresh set of chemistry.

I'd give my left Vol to see UT make the Final Four sometime in the near future, or at least in my lifetime.
I'd even consider selling my soul to Saban to make it happen.
But I'm certain that's never going to happen under Barne$; One or two wins and Out is clearly his limit.

I'd give my left Vol to see UT make the Final Four sometime in the near future, or at least in my lifetime.
But I'm certain that's never going to happen under Barne$; One or two wins and Out is clearly his limit.

How many years do you have left?

Agreed on most counts. Very nice post. I hope we become more athletic along with being true basketball players. In need of guards who can handle the ball with both hands and can finish, get to the rim, and drive and dish to the open shooters. We had no one outside of Zakai that was capable of doing that this past season. Also the bigs have got to make the bunnies that cost us all season long. We need a go to guy down low who can stop a run or put teams away. Oh and an offense that can average 75-80 points a game. I’ll be sending my Christmas Wish List to Santa ASAP.

GO VOLS!!!

Once all the rats (Negavols) and Monday morning no it all's have stopped jumping ship, we have a pretty good foundational line up moving forward. This whole narrative about firing coach Barnes is absolutely ludicrous. This is not Football and we don't some checkered past as a basketball dynasty. Coach Barnes has taken a Football focused school and made basketball very relevant. Same with TV and the baseball team. Either get behind TENNESSEE and all it's programs or GTFO.
Go Vols

Sell your soul to Saban? Go wash your mouth out with cheap scotch.

Go VOLS

In deciding whether or not this team met, fell short of, or exceeded expectations this season, it's really hard to say. It depends on when we look at the expectations, I guess. Following the scrimmages with Gonzaga and Michigan State, many, myself included, had high hopes for an SEC title and Final 4 run. Key was going to be a great addition and give us that basket-maker we needed to end dry spells. JJJ was finally healthy and (perhaps) ready to be consistent. ORN was back healthy. Phillips was a mature, focused, hard-working freshman who would provide a scoring punch if not early in the season, by March. We didn't know Key's game against Gonzaga was a fluke. Or that JJJ would struggle with injuries and consistency (again) all season. Or that Phillips would struggle to improve (even regressing, honestly). Or that Zeigler would blow his ACL.

Given all that happened, I'd say Sweet 16 is meeting expectations. We had some big wins. I always love beating Alabama, even when they're not as good as they were this year. The wins over Kansas, Texas, and Duke are all the kinds of wins this program used to never see. But finishing tied for 5th, losing twice to Kentucky, twice to Missouri, and once to Vandy was disappointing. And of course, we felt like we should have beaten that FAU team....which, as it turns out, was tragically under-seeded.

Add to that 1 portal big and 1 portal PG (or at least a CG). I guess it's also possible that we could land a last-minute decommit from another program that experiences coaching turnover, as we did with JP last year, but I don't know who that would be. Based on all that, it's impossible at this point to set expectations for next year. So many unknowns, including knowing what our current personnel will look like. My hopes/questions are:

1) Aidoo develops into the post he's capable of being and becomes a double-digit scorer, to go with his already stellar defense and rebounding.
2) Awaka develops an offensive game AND improves his FT shooting. I actually think he will develop as a scorer. He shows signs of being a good one.
3) Mashack continues to develop his offensive game. If he improves as much from Year 2 to Year 3 as he did from Year 1 to Year 2, he'll be a star. He's got the midrange jumper down. Extend that to the 3 point line, keep improving as a ball-handler/slasher, and he's All-SEC good.
4) ZZ makes a full recovery. It would also be nice to see him become a more consistent shooter. He has a great shot.
6) Freshmen: How ready is Dillione to play big minutes? Enrolling early, redshirting, and getting stronger should be huge for him. Carr is a shooter....will be be ready to be a knock down shooter as a freshman, though? Will the other aspects of his game allow him to get minutes? Can Estrella be our 3rd big man off the bench and handle that spot well?
7) Lastly, if Phillips comes back (I think he will), how much better will he be? He has gobs of potential. If he can become that star we need, that would be HUGE. Haven't had that since Grant and frankly, JP has a higher upside. This could be his team, the way Bama was Miller's team this year.

The answers to all of these questions will determine the course of next season. I have a feeling this could be a much better team than many expect.

As for opponents: we know we play Illinois in Knoxville. The field in Maui is going to be loaded, with Kansas, Purdue, Syracuse, Gonzaga, Marquette, and UCLA. So we'l play at least 2 powerhouses there, probably 3. I'm sure we'll see some more additions to the non-conference schedule. Win or lose those games, they should make our guys better.

As for the SEC:

1) Alabama will lose Miller, Clowney, Quinerly, and Gurley. Their top players next year will be Jaden Bradley, Mark Sears, and Charles Bediako. They have a nice recruiting class coming in, but no one you look at and say, that's an instant star...or even instant starter. So I think Bama takes a step back. Still a NCAAT team, but more like a 2023 Missouri level team than what we saw this year.

2) Kentucky is bringing in the best recruiting class of all-time (arguably). They lose Reeves, Frederick, Tshiebwe, Wheeler, Toppin, and Wallace. They do return Livingston. Super young, but super talented.

4) Vanderbilt: I'm impressed with Stackhouse. Just depends on what kind of talent he has next year. They return everyone but Robbins and Wright....but they were doing fine without Robbins at the end of the season. I think they'll improve and be a tough team. I expect the NCAAT for them, maybe more.

5) Florida: No idea. They sometimes showed signs of being a program on the rise and sometimes, they looked like a program that is going to flounder for awhile. If a coach is going to succeed, he usually makes a jump in Year 2. We'll see.

6) Auburn: Green and Johnson return. Their roster will be pretty similar to this year. Their fate will simply depend on whether or not they can become more consistent. They'll still be a very tough out.

7) Arkansas: They lose 4 studs from a disappointing team and bring in two 5*s. Meh. They'll have some talent, but I'm not expecting them to make a ton of noise.

Bottom line, this should be a wide-open SEC next year. I'm guessing most will predict Kentucky to win it in the preseason, based on name and that recruiting class, but recent history has shown that Cal can flop with teams built around the freshmen. I don't see another team that has a decided talent advantage on Tennessee and guys like ZZ, Mashack, Phillips, and Aidoo give us a lot of returning experience.

So this post is a lot of words saying, Tennessee could have a very average season next year or we could have a great season. Much depends on who we can get from the portal and how those 7 questions above are answered.
Good stuff. I do still worry about who’s going to be the alpha and who’s going to be able to hit the outside shot. Now here’s the thing though, it wasn’t that this year’s team couldn’t shoot. They could, they just took too many bad shots. When they worked the ball and moved around to get a good shot they shot the ball just fine. They just didn’t do that often enough. Mashack has alpha potential. I hope he continues to develop as he improved drastically this year.

On another note, I’d expect Arkansas to be good again as Musselman in a good coach. Also, just because I know Beard is a good coach I won’t be shocked if Ole Miss makes some big portal additions and is suddenly a tourney team next year too.

We need SPEED to defend the 3 on the quick passes. We need a dominate big man in the paint that can take it straight up and make a shot at the basket. And a team that go for 40 mins to make it past the Sweet 16. We have none of this coming back. FAU shows where our weaknesses were and still are.

Reactions: Ratvol
This team was not as talented or good as advertised and it proved that way as the season progressed and how it ended.

The team had some raw talent mixed with seniority who have played a lot of ball. They rose to the occasion and won several big games, they sank on several occasions and lost games they shouldn't have.

Which, after the wash and rinse had them about where they should be...... a decent team that might beat you on any given day if things go well for them.

Reactions: DonDiego and vol94

As for the SEC:

Always appreciate your detailed and rational thoughts!

This team was not as talented or good as advertised and it proved that way as the season progressed and how it ended.

The team had some raw talent mixed with seniority who have played a lot of ball. They rose to the occasion and won several big games, they sank on several occasions and lost games they shouldn't have.

Which, after the wash and rinse had them about where they should be...... a decent team that might beat you on any given day if things go well for them.

You don't win 25 and have the wins we did if you're not good at something. The team had a lot of talent and a ton of experience. Unfortunately those veterans got better on defense as they developed but stayed stagnant on offense. Julian Phillips regression was startling too.

Reactions: spyfish007

As for the SEC:

Outstanding summary, as always. I'm concerned about Phillips ever being a top level guy, mainly because he has such a shaky handle, and that can be very difficult to fix. I have much higher hopes for Awaka - I really thinks he's going to be a star. I really hope Barnes can let him play through some of his defensive lapses, but that could be wishing for too much.

Reactions: Warriorvol
Once all the rats (Negavols) and Monday morning no it all's have stopped jumping ship, we have a pretty good foundational line up moving forward. This whole narrative about firing coach Barnes is absolutely ludicrous. This is not Football and we don't some checkered past as a basketball dynasty. Coach Barnes has taken a Football focused school and made basketball very relevant. Same with TV and the baseball team. Either get behind TENNESSEE and all it's programs or GTFO.
Go Vols

There is a low percentage of TN fans asking for Barnes to be fired. There is a high percentage of TN fans (also national analysts & writers) who think Barnes does less with more in March, meaning the ceiling is a sweet 16. I don’t consider that fan a Negavol. Many UNC fans doubted Dean Smith until Michael Jordan and co. won the title in 1982. It took an other 11 yrs for Dean to get his second.

As for the SEC:

Good overview. I’d say the biggest question mark is if Coach Barnes is willing to significantly adjust his coaching strategy and goals. If not, we can expect more of the same.

Second biggest question mark is if we can add 20-30 points from the portal—I mean consistent scorers/shooters who have that killer instinct when everything is on the line. Even the blades of grass can see this glaring need.

If “yes” to both questions, I would have much more confidence come next March.

If “no” to both questions, well…we just experienced our high-water mark. And we likely won’t even reach that next year.

If yes to the first and no to the second question, I like our chances in March.

If no to the first and yes to the second question, I still like our chances in March.

As I see it, for us to have a chance next March, Coach needs to build a scoring powerhouse that plays his brand of defense. We need to have the goal of scoring at least 80 points each game no matter who we’re playing. We need at least 6 players averaging in double figures every game.

I know…that is totally not Coach Barnes’s style and I don’t expect him to suddenly embrace such a philosophy.

But even adding 20-30 points of scoring to his system…can you imagine if we’d averaged just 15 more PPG this season? We’d still be playing, as I see it.

But what do I know? I don’t get paid $5 million to figure out such things…I claim only the right to question the guy who does.

As for the SEC:

Nice post.

This team was missing shooters and a big man. Uros antics were to me just a distraction. Aidoo had sort of the sophomore slump. Awaka was just being a typical freshman but dang he is going to be a beast i feel. And ON unlike his name was rarely on. If this team had a big man that demanded attention i think our guards would have been more productive. Never can understand why we get these 6’11 7 footers that are just space takers. All around the country you see guys that are big mobile and can dominate the paint. We just had a thug.

Nice comprehensive post and especially appreciate you outlining some of the other SEC teams. As long as we have Barnes I think we will be competitive in the league but this year moreso than previous years, we really need 2 ringers from the portal who can start and/or play significant "start-like" minutes. And both need to be able to score, or we may have some serious offensive issues next year. Zeigler is critical and hope he can make a full and timely recovery. Without him, I have concerns if we can make the tournament next year, given the unknowns of any portal players we may get. Player development even more important these next 7 months. It's Barnes calling card so we will see.

I'm just glad we get to turn the page. We certainly have alot more unknowns heading into next year than we have the last couple of years.

Reactions: NighthawkVol

As for the SEC:

Spot on. Again.

Reactions: NighthawkVol

VN Store

Back