Looking at minutes, lineups, roster management, etc for 2023

I smile at posters on a sports fan forum who are surprised and amused that speculation, overcoaching the coach, and bloviating happen here. I'm curious what content you expect, especially during the offseason. I'd be surprised and disappointed if we didn't speculate about lineups, players roles and expectations etc. It always feels to me like folks coming to the tea party and getting upset that tea was served.

Agree, and I can bloviate with the best of them!

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I smile at posters on a sports fan forum who are surprised and amused that speculation, overcoaching the coach, and bloviating happen here. I'm curious what content you expect, especially during the offseason. I'd be surprised and disappointed if we didn't speculate about lineups, players roles and expectations etc. It always feels to me like folks coming to the tea party and getting upset that tea was served.

But...we were told there would be cake.

While I don't disagree with your playing time projections, on a theoretical level, I don't see CKJH playing 3 of her starters 33+ minutes. It's simply not in her coaching history and would require a complete revision of her normal substitution patterns.
Haven’t relooked at all the box scores, but Kellie will play her best players in crucial games more than 33+ minutes. In the LSU game in the SEC Tournament, Rickea played 38 minutes, Horston 35, Tess 37, and Walker 35. Hopefully, she continues that.

Women's Basketball vs LSU on 3/4/2023 - Box Score - University of Tennessee Athletics

I was thinking of "crucial games" for this lineup - Top 25 OOC, top half SEC, SECT, and NCAAT. There will be many other games to spread the minutes around.

I would also submit to you that CKH has learned. Look at the minutes from the win over LSU:

View attachment 555640
Oops, didn’t see that before I posted, so will add: we played 3 players more than 30+ minutes each against Indiana, Gonzaga, VT (twice), Georgia, SC, MS ST, and 4 players 35+ minutes each in the LSU game. There were 4 games where 3 or more players played 33+ minutes each.

Kellie will play her best players more minutes in the crucial games.

Last edited:
To me, two sort of unknowns are Tamari, how many minutes will she play in each game, and Ace, just how quick and how good of a shooter is she? I’m thinking Ace is quicker than Sara or Tess, I think she is a more versatile shooter as well, so maybe she becomes Rickea’s backup, and maybe a rebounder. We know Tess will get minutes, Kellie knows her, and she improved her defense and rebounding last year.

I remember the way Tamari, Striplin, and Sara block out under the basket to give our player a driving lane, I think that’s an important role they have filled, and will continue to do so, so maybe Sara will get some backup minutes at the 4.

This will be fun to see how it all plays out, I think Spear and Wells bring a lot to the team.

VN Store

Back