Long-Time Lurker, First-Time Poster, Perspective on Pruitt

Been a lurker on this board for years but have never entered the fray until today. I'm a clinical psychologist and deal with emotional reactivity and volatility on a daily basis. The back n forth exchanges between "Nega Vols and Sunshine Pumpers" can be entertaining to witness but also a reason I've stayed on the "sidelines." Was raised a VOL, attended undergrad in the 90's, and made the trip to Arizona for the 98 Championship game. Held season tickets since 2006 and donated a decent amount of money, relative to my salary. I am VFL and nothing will ever change that. Today's coaching performance is the straw sitting squarely on this camel's back, however, and here I am with the first post.

I am not numb. I will never be numb to TN losing. Did not necessarily expect to win today, but it's the product on the field that is categorically unacceptable. JEREMY PRUITT is not SEC head coach material right now and how long it takes him to get there is anyone's guess. This team has regressed in his 2nd season and the talent excuse "dog just don't hunt" for me at this point. This team, regardless of talent, has coaching problems. Game decisions, personnel choices, confusion, miscommunication, lack of direction on the sidelines (openly talked about by the announcers), and not executing fundamentals are indicative of that reality. Many will continue to call for "more time, let Pruitt build his roster, and it was always a 5-year rebuild." That's a legitimate point of view, but sometimes your intuition simply knows what it knows. Just like JG lacks the instinctive ability to be a great QB, Jeremy Pruitt lacks the constitutional sensibilities to be an elite coach. Perhaps that could change over time, but this program is at an increasingly serious crossroads. You should not lose to your most hated (currently over-rated) rival in such a manner, after suffering the most embarrassing loss in program history to start your 2nd season, and retain the helm at the University of Tennessee. Those of you who may clamor over the buyout, Butch please. This program remains very solvent for now. Boosters have deep pockets and remain invested. VFL fans remain passionate and engaged, but we may all eventually die out. The way I see it, we're at the point of medieval politics and heads need to roll to maintain some semblance of program integrity. I realize the circus of the last coaching search still lingers, but I am ok with making a bold & definitive statement now. Pay the money, get a proven coach, and let's move on without suffering through 5 more years of prolonged insecurity and collective self-doubt.

One last point. Laugh if you will. Pruitt's relationship with his father, in so much as it contributed to his markedly constricted personality, seems to be an impediment to him developing as a coach. One of the more significant aspects of coaching is inspiring young men, attuning emotionally, and building relationships that motivate players to give their all for YOU. Pruitt's repressed interpersonal style makes him UNINSPIRING to players and fans alike. He seems to lack the capacity to motivate athletes to dig deeper within themselves. Anyone want further expounding on that, feel free to ask. At the beginning of the season, when I still had some faith in him, my biggest piece of advice to Fulmer would have been to mandate that Pruitt run, not walk, into psychotherapy. If he isn't fired this season, this is our best long-term hope.

I've discounted the empty Neyland proponents and "stop donating advocates" until now. I'm not going to post my season tickets for sale and let them sit empty for Georgia (DAWG fans would likely buy them). That is not intended to disrespect the Power T, my proud university, or the student athletes on the field. Something has to change or this program may devolve into oblivion for the rest of my life. Where I am today, PRUITT ain't got it, and a change sooner rather than later is preferable. Urban Meyer, like him or not, said it accurately. There is no justifiable reason for TN to be this bad for this long. Thanks for listening.

I don’t disagree but his personality would a lot less unlikeable if the team showed improvement. His problems are compounded because he lacks the skills to be a head coach and communication is a major part of being a head coach

I know it’s not possible, but I’d love for this staff to have a leader. They can no doubt recruit and most of them know the game and we know Pruitt can teach and build defense.

OP is right, he’s just not a head coach, not sure he ever can be. I’m not sure how much Fulmer is injecting himself, but he needs to be giving some pointers or making changes or could be him getting changed as well. No reason we should suck like this...inexcusable!

Been a lurker on this board for years but have never entered the fray until today. I'm a clinical psychologist and deal with emotional reactivity and volatility on a daily basis. The back n forth exchanges between "Nega Vols and Sunshine Pumpers" can be entertaining to witness but also a reason I've stayed on the "sidelines." Was raised a VOL, attended undergrad in the 90's, and made the trip to Arizona for the 98 Championship game. Held season tickets since 2006 and donated a decent amount of money, relative to my salary. I am VFL and nothing will ever change that. Today's coaching performance is the straw sitting squarely on this camel's back, however, and here I am with the first post.

I am not numb. I will never be numb to TN losing. Did not necessarily expect to win today, but it's the product on the field that is categorically unacceptable. JEREMY PRUITT is not SEC head coach material right now and how long it takes him to get there is anyone's guess. This team has regressed in his 2nd season and the talent excuse "dog just don't hunt" for me at this point. This team, regardless of talent, has coaching problems. Game decisions, personnel choices, confusion, miscommunication, lack of direction on the sidelines (openly talked about by the announcers), and not executing fundamentals are indicative of that reality. Many will continue to call for "more time, let Pruitt build his roster, and it was always a 5-year rebuild." That's a legitimate point of view, but sometimes your intuition simply knows what it knows. Just like JG lacks the instinctive ability to be a great QB, Jeremy Pruitt lacks the constitutional sensibilities to be an elite coach. Perhaps that could change over time, but this program is at an increasingly serious crossroads. You should not lose to your most hated (currently over-rated) rival in such a manner, after suffering the most embarrassing loss in program history to start your 2nd season, and retain the helm at the University of Tennessee. Those of you who may clamor over the buyout, Butch please. This program remains very solvent for now. Boosters have deep pockets and remain invested. VFL fans remain passionate and engaged, but we may all eventually die out. The way I see it, we're at the point of medieval politics and heads need to roll to maintain some semblance of program integrity. I realize the circus of the last coaching search still lingers, but I am ok with making a bold & definitive statement now. Pay the money, get a proven coach, and let's move on without suffering through 5 more years of prolonged insecurity and collective self-doubt.

One last point. Laugh if you will. Pruitt's relationship with his father, in so much as it contributed to his markedly constricted personality, seems to be an impediment to him developing as a coach. One of the more significant aspects of coaching is inspiring young men, attuning emotionally, and building relationships that motivate players to give their all for YOU. Pruitt's repressed interpersonal style makes him UNINSPIRING to players and fans alike. He seems to lack the capacity to motivate athletes to dig deeper within themselves. Anyone want further expounding on that, feel free to ask. At the beginning of the season, when I still had some faith in him, my biggest piece of advice to Fulmer would have been to mandate that Pruitt run, not walk, into psychotherapy. If he isn't fired this season, this is our best long-term hope.

I've discounted the empty Neyland proponents and "stop donating advocates" until now. I'm not going to post my season tickets for sale and let them sit empty for Georgia (DAWG fans would likely buy them). That is not intended to disrespect the Power T, my proud university, or the student athletes on the field. Something has to change or this program may devolve into oblivion for the rest of my life. Where I am today, PRUITT ain't got it, and a change sooner rather than later is preferable. Urban Meyer, like him or not, said it accurately. There is no justifiable reason for TN to be this bad for this long. Thanks for listening.
Please post more often.

VN Store

Back