Long term dominance.....

I’m 50 by the way.

Minnesota has more national titles than Florida.

That said, you be hard pressed to find a UF fan willing to trade UF’s football history post-1989 for anything Tennessee...or Minnesota for that matter...accomplished prior to the 90s.

So congratulations on winning six national titles.

Ok boomers. (Btw I’m 53)

It's not 20 years but no one has touched Saban so far in the modern era. Dabo is making a run which I hope not because I can't stand him but anyways, Saban has won 5 NCs while playing in 7 total. Honestly, he probably could've had two more. Only 15 losses...which in two seasons we have almost eclipsed that.

Reactions: 08Vol
Yes, without question, I would take UF’s modern day history over UT’s long term success, considering most of UT’s history took place before electricity, integration and central air conditioning.

I was lucky to be alive...and in the building...for all three football NCs and both basketball titles. I wouldn’t trade that for any school’s accomplishments several generations ago.

So again, rock on with those six national titles...I’m good with our three.

So do you also disregard George Washington, Lincoln (ok Lee too to rep the south), Eisenhower, Martin Luther King, FDR or whomever you admire from history that lived more than 50 years ago allegedly before electricity? Kind of dangerous to completely cut off our memory of the past isn’t it? Why shouldn’t we include Neylands accomplishments as part of the COMPLETE history of our program. Kind of like me saying the first half of my life wasn’t relative - only the back half matters.

This is a common response from you. What does this mean again? TN losing streak to FL? Think that was 11. Something about an 0-12 season? Refresh my memory?

It’s my stock response to any steamy hot take regarding UF’s football team, or anyone pressing me for a pre-season prediction on UF’s record.

Examples of said steamy hot takes:
“It’s only a matter of time before Pruitt goes on a 7-game winning streak against Mullen before replacing Saban.”

“UF’s program is a hot mess because of all those transfers. Maybe the NCAA should investigate.”

“UF was terrible before 1991, and they’ll go back to being that consistently terrible again soon.”

Usually anything Nationdom posts falls into this category.

When you read objective commentary like that, the only logical conclusion is UF will go 0-12.

Science.

Last edited:
It's not 20 years but no one has touched Saban so far in the modern era. Dabo is making a run which I hope not because I can't stand him but anyways, Saban has won 5 NCs while playing in 7 total. Honestly, he probably could've had two more. Only 15 losses...which in two seasons we have almost eclipsed that.

Painfully agree. In addition to Saban, Bama also has the history and legacy. Clemson doesn’t have that so I just don’t see Dano having this success for as long as Saban, which again makes me want to throw up in my mouth.

It’s my stock response to any steamy hot take regarding UF’s football team, or anyone pressing me for a pre-season prediction on UF’s record.

“It’s only a matter of time before Pruitt goes on a 7-game winning streak against Mullen before replacing Saban.”

“UF’s program is a hot mess because of all those transfers. Maybe the NCAA should investigate.”

“UF was terrible before 1991, and they’ll go back to being that consistently terrible again soon.”

When you read objective commentary like that, the only logical conclusion is UF will go 0-12.

Science.

Lol. Get it now. Actually pretty funny.

Something looks fishy with the 90’s. I think the 109 wins are inflated. Did you count 11 years? I don’t think Phil (and Johnny) had a better win % than Neyland in the 30’s and 40’s.
True. UT was 98-22-3 in the 90's.

They had some good teams in the 80’s the 84 team was really good so was the 85 and 87 team

Didn’t we still find ways to lose to them when they weren’t any good pre 1990? Dickeys last bowl with us in 1969? 1985? We would have been in line for a Natty in 85 without that upset.

Didn’t we still find ways to lose to them when they weren’t any good pre 1990? Dickeys last bowl with us in 1969? 1985? We would have been in line for a Natty in 85 without that upset.

UT was 2-4 against UF in the 70s and 80s.

So do you also disregard George Washington, Lincoln (ok Lee too to rep the south), Eisenhower, Martin Luther King, FDR or whomever you admire from history that lived more than 50 years ago allegedly before electricity? Kind of dangerous to completely cut off our memory of the past isn’t it? Why shouldn’t we include Neylands accomplishments as part of the COMPLETE history of our program. Kind of like me saying the first half of my life wasn’t relative - only the back half matters.

I never disregarded UT’s history. I acknowledged it and stated it is comparatively superior to UF’s long term history on several occasions in this thread.

And I never said you shouldn’t include UT’s complete history when reminiscing about past accomplishments. By all means do so.

I place value in my experiences as UF alum and fan, and I wouldn’t trade those experiences for any fan base whose school has a bigger trophy case than ours. That’s pretty much it.

Last edited:
Yea the 85 loss in Gainesville hurt we would’ve been undefeated and perhaps playing for the national championship against Miami. Florida was also pretty good that year only losing once in league play.

Yea the 85 loss in Gainesville hurt we would’ve been undefeated and perhaps playing for the national championship against Miami. Florida was also pretty good that year only losing once in league play.
I think their only loss was to UGA when UF was ranked #1.

Since 1959.........

only 23 teams have won a National Championship.....and that includes Pitt, Minnesota, Syracuse, Colorado, Ga Tech, and BYU..........teams that will never do it again.

Pretty much 10 teams have won the majority of them.

Never say never. Some things may be less likely then others, but saying something can never happen is a good way to get bit in the backside.

With conference realignments, some conferences folding and even new ones, plus other schools that have stepped up from lower levels, nothing is guaranteed. Look at the SEC, a decade ago, UT never had to factor in Missouri of all teams. Now they do, UT has a 3-5 record against them, and they managed to win two back to back eastern division titles. Like it or not, the road to Atlanta goes through Columbia, and quite often UT has crashed there.

Times change, and the game changes too.

Usually anything Nationdom posts falls into this category.

Science.

Times change.

Never say never. Some things may be less likely then others, but saying something can never happen is a good way to get bit in the backside.

With conference realignments, some conferences folding and even new ones, plus other schools that have stepped up from lower levels, nothing is guaranteed. Look at the SEC, a decade ago, UT never had to factor in Missouri of all teams. Now they do, UT has a 3-5 record against them, and they managed to win two back to back eastern division titles. Like it or not, the road to Atlanta goes through Columbia, and quite often UT has crashed there.

Huh?

99.9999% they will not!

Staying elite is one thing. Staying relevant another. But being dominate only comes in cycles.

That’s what makes the sport fun and keeps people interested. If your team is in that upper echelon you always have a shot at greatness.

Bear Bryant said you have to be lucky in your schedule and lucky with injuries. Being a dominate team is hard.

Reactions: Elhanan

VN Store

Back