Little / Insignificant things that give

Fun coupon VOL

You don’t fight with your head Arthur.
You the most self gratification / confidence boost? As my little things will show you, they can be really dumb.

I will lead off.

1. Shifting gears. Something 80-90% of the US population doesn’t know how to do.

2. Shifting gears without the clutch. Something 95% of the US population doesn’t know how to do.

I work in banking(Nashville unfortunately) and getting out of the office driving on state roads and backroads is calming and sinks me into a peaceful place..

GO VOLS.

@Freak if this has been posted before, axe this in the most brutal way.

As a gear jockey for more than 5 decades, I can tell you that the range and power makes up for the hybrid CVT.

You the most self gratification / confidence boost? As my little things will show you, they can be really dumb.

I will lead off.

1. Shifting gears. Something 80-90% of the US population doesn’t know how to do.

2. Shifting gears without the clutch. Something 95% of the US population doesn’t know how to do.

I work in banking(Nashville unfortunately) and getting out of the office driving on state roads and backroads is calming and sinks me into a peaceful place..

GO VOLS.

@Freak if this has been posted before, axe this in the most brutal way.
I love a stick shift. I'll leave mine running occasionally when going into like a gas station, cause I know not many wpuld steal it😄.

Stick was great in starving student days when I had a bad starter. Park it on a hill, put it in gear, stomp on the clutch, let it get rolling, and pop the clutch.

Off you went!

Now I have a left knee replacement, and having three pedals isn’t so much fun any more.

Now that I think about it, why DID my left knee wear out so much faster than my right... 1570194314580.gif

The only time I hated driving a stick was coming home from work (downtown) going up the ridge cut. Favorite car to drive I've ever had, a Honda CRX.

Standing on the train.
Walking at lunch.
Doing little physical things that people dont bother with anymore.

If I need 32 checks to run a batch of checks, and I pick up 32 exactly, I get enormous satisfaction. All of the "exact" things like that. I'll cook an extra egg so I can leave an even number in the carton and arrange them so they're perfectly balanced.

Banging it into gear is bad, letting off the gas and then easing it into the next gear doesn't do any harm. Used to do it all the time in my truck.
If by truck you mean big rig, they use a different type of gear box than standard automobiles which makes it a little better.

You can do this if your engine RPM, the speed of the vehicle, and the gear you are shifting to/from is just right. The reason you can do this is because you have synchros in the transmission which allows the two gears to match rotational speeds as they come in contact (basically, there is more to it than this, but hopefully you get the drift). The synchros are sacrificial in that as they are designed to wear out before the gears get worn. When you perform clutchless shifting, you are creating a large amount of unneeded wear on your synchros. By wearing these out, you'll be required to rebuild your transmission sooner than by utilizing normal shifting methods. With the clutchless method you are using, you are causing these the synchros to attempt to mesh until the correct rpm is met, even if it is for a short period of time. This is where the wear will occur. Even if it is a short period of time, there is just about no way you can hit this exact every time. If you feel that you are, you are more than likely fooling yourself. Any resistance during the shift is unneeded wear on the synchros.

Making an obscure or arcane referential joke on these boards that gets summarily ignored and then like three months later a single like pops up with no further comment and yesssssssss, a kindred spirit.

The value-add there is knowing that every other person who read it and didn't pick it up, if they gave it more than a nanosecond's thought before moving on, probably just thought Weirdo and dismissed it. Somehow there's an odd satisfaction in that as well.

I'm not sure this post speaks well of me.

Making an obscure or arcane referential joke on these boards that gets summarily ignored and then like three months later a single like pops up with no further comment and yesssssssss, a kindred spirit.

The value-add there is knowing that every other person who read it and didn't pick it up, if they gave it more than a nanosecond's thought before moving on, probably just thought Weirdo and dismissed it. Somehow there's an odd satisfaction in that as well.

I'm not sure this post speaks well of me.
Made me lol.

Reactions: pismonque
Banging it into gear is bad, letting off the gas and then easing it into the next gear doesn't do any harm. Used to do it all the time in my truck.

GMC 2500(grandpa’s truck) -135,000 been doing it since day 1.

Cool find gotta share. My mother and father are remodeling. Found my grandfathers bag from the army in the rafters. He was after WW2 by about 10 years. He was in France near a large train depot(don’t know where). He always use to say parlez-vous francais was the only thing he remembered.

5445240F-8450-4742-8038-6F789D64C304.jpeg3376051F-584F-42B6-B722-A9FA5C77BB35.jpeg

Last edited:

VN Store

Back