Little Brother Program Of Each State

FLA is ridiculous..................

UM, UF, and FSU are triplets. UCF would be "little brother"

Texas, Michigan, and Virginia are stupid as well.

FSU is little brother.

They might be one the more successful little brothers in CFB, in a ridiculously talented “family”, but they’re still little brother by comparison to Florida or Miami.

IMO, a big part of the big brother/little dynamic is the disdain that the players/fans of the big brother school have for the little brother school. It isn't just animosity or dislike; the big brother considers the little brother unworthy, not in the same social class.

Reactions: MAD
FSU is little brother.

They might be one the more successful little brothers in CFB, in a ridiculously talented “family”, but they’re still little brother by comparison to Florida or Miami.
Miami NC's - 5 in 85 years...637 winning %
UF NC's - 3 in 109 years......627 winning %
FSU NC's - 3 in 68 years.........672 winning %

I'd say they are pretty dang even!

Reactions: Orange. and MAD

The State of Florida is a great example of where the disdain element comes in. FSU is not a little brother because they are much less successful on the field than UF. They are a little brother because they have only been "Florida State University" since 1947, and comparatively speaking their booster/support base has far fewer resources. There is an old money/new money dynamic to a lot of these rivalries, especially in the South.

That same disdain element exists between Ole Miss and Miss St, Alabama and Auburn, and Clemson and South Carolina, among others. The Clemson/South Carolina rivalry is unique because it is the comparatively new money program (Clemson) that is the big brother.

Reactions: peaygolf
The State of Florida is a great example of where the disdain element comes in. FSU is not a little brother because they are much less successful on the field than UF. They are a little brother because they have only been "Florida State University" since 1947, and comparatively speaking their booster/support base has far fewer resources. There is an old money/new money dynamic to a lot of these rivalries, especially in the South.

That same disdain element exists between Ole Miss and Miss St, Alabama and Auburn, and Clemson and South Carolina, among others. The Clemson/South Carolina rivalry is unique because it is the comparatively new money program (Clemson) that is the big brother.
I'd say FSU is the "younger brother," that has exceeded their older brothers expectations. Jealousy is raising its ugly head!:oops:

Reactions: 05_never_again
I'd say FSU is the "younger brother," that has exceeded their older brothers expectations. Jealousy is raising its ugly head!:oops:
Totally fair statement. They even started coming on the scene just before big bro did too (their run of dominance under Bowden began in 1987, UF's wasn't until 1990/91).

Reactions: peaygolf

Apply that same energy to FSU’s head-to-head record against UF and Miami.

And one of our NCs was against them, the biggest blowout of a #1 team in a bowl game.

Like I said, it’s a VERY successful family, and little brother can get the best of his two big brothers at times, but make no mistake FSU is still little brother.

I despise Texas but they are not the little brother. They’re the incompetent big brother but they are the big brother, no doubt.
A&M will always be the Whorns little brother. Texas is it's own worst enemy but aggy is even worse. SEC expansion has proven this. The SEC brass would have booted aggy to get the Whorns and didn't even consult with A&M before adding Texas. 😂😂😂

A&M will always be the Whorns little brother. Texas is it's own worst enemy but aggy is even worse. SEC expansion has proven this. The SEC brass would have booted aggy to get the Whorns and didn't even consult with A&M before adding Texas. 😂😂😂

Yeah ole Sankey shoveled it to A&M so deep that would make John Holmes blush.

Reactions: BUBear
Apply that same energy to FSU’s head-to-head record against UF and Miami.

And one of our NCs was against them, the biggest blowout of a #1 team in a bowl game.

Like I said, it’s a VERY successful family, and little brother can get the best of his two big brothers at times, but make no mistake FSU is still little brother.

Since 1976….when Bowden arrived.
24-22-1 vs UF
22-24 vs Miami

Just saying…….😁

I don't think some of these are right.

- I'm assuming Texas and Michigan being little brothers is sarcasm.
- Nebraska is basically the other program in the state and isn't a little brother to another in-state program (Creighton? Who else is even there?)
- I wouldn't think BYU is the little brother program in Utah. I believe the stereotype in that state is that the wealthy, well-to-do Mormon kids go to BYU, the "peasant" Mormon kids + non-Mormons go to Utah, and BYU kids look down on Utah kids. Kind of an Ole Miss/Miss St dynamic there.
- Who is the big brother in Illinois if Illinois is the little brother? N'western? That doesn't sound right.
- Are we talking basketball in Indiana? If so, even though they haven't been good in years Indiana is not a little brother, not even close.
- As @RDU VOL#14 said NC State is the little brother in North Carolina. They are looked down upon by both Duke and UNC.
- I don't think Maryland looks at a service academy as a little brother. Probably no little brother program in that state. Same for Minnesota.
- Who is Yale's big brother?
Totally agree on the Michigan and Texas sarcasm.

UCLA a little brother to USC? Stanford? Cal? Not sure the Bruins are a little brother!

UCLA a little brother to USC? Stanford? Cal? Not sure the Bruins are a little brother!
USC looks down on UCLA in both an athletics and academic sense. It's actually one of the more quintessential big/little brother relationships.

Some "little brother" stuff had more to do with academics than athletics.

There's no question Florida State is a little brother to Florida.

Florida has a $2.29 billion dollar endowment. Florida State has a $900 million dollar endowment.

There are way more levels to this outside of athletics.

Some "little brother" stuff had more to do with academics than athletics.

There's no question Florida State is a little brother to Florida.

Florida has a $2.29 billion dollar endowment. Florida State has a $900 million dollar endowment.

There are way more levels to this outside of athletics.

What’s determined those endowments?
Does FlSt just not have the Donors like most schools have? Surely some rich fats went there at some point.

What’s determined those endowments?
Does FlSt just not have the Donors like most schools have? Surely some rich fats went there at some point.

You have to understand enrollment at UF is about twice that at FSU and at one point it was until FSU started to allow larger enrolling classes. So besides UF being open much longer they have a much larger pool to get money from with alumni. Of course now FSU has a much larger enrollment compared to UT and UF does have twice as many undergrads. Thankfully UT has been opened much longer so as a long line of alumni and family.

Reactions: 05_never_again

Ive had the same argument with him before, it's just blind hatred. He can't admit UF and FSU are basically equal programs lol

Ive had the same argument with him before, it's just blind hatred. He can't admit UF and FSU are basically equal programs lol

If you’re comparing national titles and Heisman winners, our programs are equal.

If you disregard the series head-to-head record, or all-time wins (which is a big deal around here), our programs are equal.

If you eliminate our rivalry’s history pre-Bowden, our programs are equal.

Kinda like how if you eliminate Tennessee’s history and accomplishments compared to UF during that same time period (before 1976), our new money program is clearly superior to yours.

We can play that game if you like.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back