Listen to Kellie!

Coach- I read most of what you post rather than some others here- your post with pics talking about CONFIDENCE hit the nail !! These girls dont have it and the more they lose the worse it gets. Seems they are playing not to lose instead of hitting the court and saying NOBODY can beat us. They are trying things beyond what they are capable of with play ground passes and moves. I coached Boys Youth Soccer 17 years and when we hit the pitch they were growling and gritting their teeth and we imposed our will over much better teams. Itimidate and destroy was the motto-

We would put our motto on our shooting shirt in basketball. The last team I hads motto was, you get what you give. I remember once I was in a game where the referees were calling terribly and I had already received one technical for getting on one of the refs. They were letting the girls beat us up on the opposing team and we were getting called for touch fails. Finally I had enough. I told my girls they were a 14U team, you get back out there and you protect yourself from this point on. If they want to play basket brawl then we'll play basket Brawl 2. I will not pull you for a hard fail. I do not want you to initiate anything but you damn well better respond to everything. It didn't take me about two minutes into that quarter for the referees to come and talk to me. I told them, if you're waiting on me to be intimidated by that stripe shirt you're going to be waiting a very long time. If you throw me out for telling my girls to not accept the physical beating they're taking I will report you to the head referee. From that point on the game was called Fair. I don't live 4 confrontation but when I am in the confrontation, I confront.

Reactions: Sportslady
Exactly- take no crap - we once played a team from Ohio - a U 18 premier team and we were at the time second level from North Carolina -- they were bragging about their guys getting scholarships to OSU- Indiana- Purdue- Florida- Wisconsin etc
They found our smallest player to pick on- tripped him- nipped his heels- elbows - spit at him and refs didnt call- my player turned around and told player it better stop - he wasnt going to put up with - the guy pushed him and said what if- my guy clocked him broke his nose and knocked him out --yehhhh- of course red carded and tossed but we played a man down and our guys rallied around and beat there ass 3-0 - I only approve that if just cause.
LV need an attitude

Reactions: Coach Jumper
Exactly- take no crap - we once played a team from Ohio - a U 18 premier team and we were at the time second level from North Carolina -- they were bragging about their guys getting scholarships to OSU- Indiana- Purdue- Florida- Wisconsin etc
They found our smallest player to pick on- tripped him- nipped his heels- elbows - spit at him and refs didnt call- my player turned around and told player it better stop - he wasnt going to put up with - the guy pushed him and said what if- my guy clocked him broke his nose and knocked him out --yehhhh- of course red carded and tossed but we played a man down and our guys rallied around and beat there ass 3-0 - I only approve that if just cause.
LV need an attitude

Understand, I don't condone violence and I don't look for it. I also don't run from it. I'll give you one more cute story true story. Hey ref in Atlanta seem to have a personal Vendetta with me and I found out later that his brother has lost a tournament championship against me. At one point the ref had me so frustrated I called him over during a timeout and I told him hey ref, can I get a technical for what I think. He said of course not. I said good, I think you suck. Needless to say I got technical. I got to get back to work and actually do something been interested in conversing with you look forward to our next chat take care

One more quick note for my Watchers out there. I have only been thrown out of one game in my 39 years and been technical probably a dozen times. So it's not like I lose control often but I am human

Understand, I don't condone violence and I don't look for it. I also don't run from it. I'll give you one more cute story true story. Hey ref in Atlanta seem to have a personal Vendetta with me and I found out later that his brother has lost a tournament championship against me. At one point the ref had me so frustrated I called him over during a timeout and I told him hey ref, can I get a technical for what I think. He said of course not. I said good, I think you suck. Needless to say I got technical. I got to get back to work and actually do something been interested in conversing with you look forward to our next chat take care
Take care-- agreed dont look for violence but not gonna shrink from it - give more than you get and sooner or later you wont get that much anymore

Reactions: mcannon1
You may have said exactly what you said you did. But at least give the author of that line credit.
That was a paraphrase of a Jim Valvano story. He's quoted as using "stink" instead of "suck" but that was probably cleaned up in the retelling of the story.
Jim Valvano Quotes

Reactions: Voltopia
You may have said exactly what you said you did. But at least give the author of that line credit.
That was a paraphrase of a Jim Valvano story. He's quoted as using "stink" instead of "suck" but that was probably cleaned up in the retelling of the story.
Jim Valvano Quotes

Heh. And they say you never see any slam dunks in this sport.

Who do you think he got it from. Seriously, When I said that to the little stinky ref I had no idea if it was said before and I really don't care if you believe me or not

Apologies for being snide. Seriously I did say that was no foreknowledge that existed. It's possible we could have had the same thought. The one thing I've learned over time is I'm not unique just like everybody else

No don’t end it yet. I am retire and reading this is much better than watching television. It is raining outside so have to do something inside.

Your television program is being canceled,,,sorry Raebo
Thanks for being who you are

Reactions: Raebo
No, Pat Summitt's offense was inept. Al Brown allowed those talented players to actually work in an offensive system that was not archaic and oppressive.
As I remember this situation, Pat decided when she recruited Chamique that she wanted to move to the triangle offense to best feature Chamique's talents. I remember that she and the team made a trip to Chicago to learn from the best. This is where she learned the triangle offense and implemented it in her subsequent teams.

I would not give credit to Brown for the creation of the triangle offense. He was best at breaking down film. He was a horrible recruiter, which is the main reason he was replaced by Nicki Caldwell.
When Pat gave him another opportunity to coach at the college level, he was coaching high school basketball. I love the revisionist history from some who believe that he was some kind of coaching guru and the key to Pat's success. I don't recall him being that great offensive coach as an assistant at Duke. Did Duke ever go to the final four when he was an assistant?

As I remember this situation, Pat decided when she recruited Chamique that she wanted to move to the triangle offense to best feature Chamique's talents. I remember that she and the team made a trip to Chicago to learn from the best. This is where she learned the triangle offense and implemented it in her subsequent teams.

I would not give credit to Brown for the creation of the triangle offense. He was best at breaking down film. He was a horrible recruiter, which is the main reason he was replaced by Nicki Caldwell.
When Pat gave him another opportunity to coach at the college level, he was coaching high school basketball. I love the revisionist history from some who believe that he was some kind of coaching guru and the key to Pat's success. I don't recall him being that great offensive coach as an assistant at Duke. Did Duke ever go to the final four when he was an assistant?

She wasn't intimidated about putting the best people around her. She had the same philosophy re players...I believe this is where CHW failed. She only put people around her she felt could intimidate (JMO):

Coach Pat Summitt's 10 Most Inspirational Quotes
www.entrepreneur.com ›

Jun 28, 2016 - “There is always someone better than you. Whatever it is that you do for a living, chances are, you will run into a situation in which you are not as talented as the person next to you. That's when being a competitor can make a difference in your fortunes.”

She wasn't intimidated about putting the best people around her. She had the same philosophy re players...I believe this is where CHW failed. She only put people around her she felt could intimidate (JMO):

Coach Pat Summitt's 10 Most Inspirational Quotes
www.entrepreneur.com ›

Jun 28, 2016 - “There is always someone better than you. Whatever it is that you do for a living, chances are, you will run into a situation in which you are not as talented as the person next to you. That's when being a competitor can make a difference in your fortunes.”
What a Woman!!

VN Store

Back