Listen to Kellie!

From what I can gather from this convo, what has been stated...without fully being proved beyond dispute, mind you...is that, during the Meeks era, Al Brown was primarily responsible for the success of the Lady Vols' laundry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smallvol#1 and gule
Yea but they came TO PLAY FOR PAT SUMMITT so Al Brown would have been ineffective if she hadn’t gotten those players here. They all said they came to play for her each and everyone of them.

Plus wouldn’t Pat Summitts ability to recognize she needed help be the primary reason for success because she brought that person on and allowed him to work his magic if that was the case.
I would agree with your second sentiment if he did not depart so oddly at the end of that era. If I understood his departure more fully, I could possibly close the loop on my entire opinion about the situation. I believe Al Brown transformed offensive basketball for Pat Summitt, and I'm curious why he departed soon after. I appreciate Coach Summitt, but she was not gifted in offensive basketball philosophy as the game progressed. She was gifted in defense, rebounding, motivation, and accountability.

From what I can gather from this convo, what has been stated...without fully being proved beyond dispute, mind you...is that, during the Meeks era, All Brown was primarily responsible for the success of the Lady Vols' laundry.
No, I would assume that was Holly.

You realize it could be argued, and quite successfully I think, that you've never actually coached women. 13-14 year old girls are not women (ie. an adult female)
by definition.
Yet, you resisted, initially, in admitting that Al is a more accomplished coach in women's bb than you are with "I will know this when I meet the man". Later, the best you could do was "Al may know more about basketball in collegiate ball". Even here the best you could offer was to give a grudgingly "may know more". Which, by the way, wasn't even part of the original question.
The question was "who is more accomplished in women's bb".
Since Al has an extremely long list of impressive accomplishments in wcbb, and it could be argued that you have never coached women's basketball, I would have thought the answer to that question would have been a no-brainer.
I sincerely hope you don't think I'm picking on you. I find your posts fascinating. In much the same way that I found the infamous "Ivy League" posts fascinating.
Fascinating not necessarily in their content, but rather in the style that they're delivered. Though I do find the content also interesting on occasion.

I have also coached 18U, 16u and worked with collegiate athletes.
He is an apple, I am an range, both fruits, yet vastly different.
Comparison's are for you guys
As for me, I bow to no one nor stand on anyone
That will not change

Al Brown was primarily responsible for all of the success of Lady Vols basketball during the "Meeks" Era. I don't think he has to prove anything to you in a month or two to salvage his reputation.
Who said he did is that you Al just waiting for any kind of results none at all maybe worse than before. He has to make a difference sometime or what was the purpose.

If all he does is keep Kellie from pulling her hair out over those damn turnovers, he’s worth every $cent

Reactions: krichunaka
Jack gave me the hardest group in basketball,,13-14 girls.
Anyone who has coached this age group knows of the difficulty of that age bc of the changes females usually go through at this stage.
I handled this age group for most of my time with him and that org.

So as I see it, AL may know more about BB in collegiate ball but I have a distinct advantage over him in knowing the female gender
Laughing-and-Laugh-GIF.gif

Ren was on the bench when Q1 ended with us leading 21-19

A 17-4 run with no timeout killed us...It took the life out of those kids.
If Coach don't play, the players don't play

And I am NOT a Kellie hater, I am 100% behind her...I just have the nerve to tell her what AL doesn't
You could also add that the subs killed us. The totally ineffective minutes we get off the bench are as much a factor in losing these games as anything else.

Coach had a difficult time teaching those teenage girls....They do have mood swings..
giphy.gif

It's rare to see such disagreements between posters on this site....We sure need a win.
original.gif

The Lady Vols successful future can be improved by an additional personal trainer, pregame scout, and last but not least recruiter. The gifted Coach Jumper is not a threat to those already working diligently. From his statements
concerning expense he would not upset the budget.

Reactions: Amb3096
I have also coached 18U, 16u and worked with collegiate athletes.
He is an apple, I am an range, both fruits, yet vastly different.
Comparison's are for you guys
As for me, I bow to no one nor stand on anyone
That will not change
See, this is the kind of post that I find so interesting. Even when faced with overwhelming evidence, you won't acquiesce and just type that Al Brown has greater women's basketball accomplishments than you do. It's no disgrace, as lvocd said, very few people on the planet have accomplished more than he has in women's bb. And yet, there's something in you that prevents you from saying it.
This is the part that I find fascinating.

See, this is the kind of post that I find so interesting. Even when faced with overwhelming evidence, you won't acquiesce and just type that Al Brown has greater women's basketball accomplishments than you do. It's no disgrace, as lvocd said, very few people on the planet have accomplished more than he has in women's bb. And yet, there's something in you that prevents you from saying it.
This is the part that I find fascinating.

I've never compared our accomplishments
I only say, he does what he does and I do what I do and I am intimidated by no one.
NO ONE

That's not disrespecting him
I simply am not in awe of anyone
NO ONE

Have your fun, peops...It doesn't affect me.
In fact, some it is middle-school-cute,,,quite creative even

I've never compared our accomplishments
I only say, he does what he does and I do what I do and I am intimidated by no one.
NO ONE

That's not disrespecting him
I simply am not in awe of anyone
NO ONE

Have your fun, peops...It doesn't affect me.
In fact, some it is middle-school-cute,,,quite creative even
I'll give you this, you are consistent.

Coach I'm only having fun with you....During difficult times we have to laugh....Sometimes that's all we have left...I buried my wife a few months ago...This is only a game.

Life is the most precious commodity, measured not by cents and dollars, but by days, months, and years.
hqdefault.jpg

Coach I'm only having fun with you....During difficult times we have to laugh....Sometimes that's all we have left...I buried my wife a few months ago...This is only a game.

Life is the most precious commodity, measured not by cents and dollars, but by days, months, and years.
hqdefault.jpg
GT, of all of the people on this sight, besides smallvol, you are the one I would like to have as a personal friend. I truly feel blessed by you

Folks, I wish everyone would go back and read this board after the LVs ran through Ole Miss, Georgia, and Florida. So much praise singing of how the LVs had turned the offensive corner and many (I think mistakenly) crediting Al Brown for the new found offensive proficiency.

If you go back a bit further, when Kellie took over (and before the Collin's transfer and Zaay injury), even then there was an understanding that this would be a transitional season and that the LVs would hit some bumps in the road.

These recent losses are what bumps feel like.

It painful to see so many posts making Horston a target; it is shades of Evina. A top ranked freshman who is being asked to carry a heavy load and having mixed results. What does anyone really expect?

As I posted before, the LVs TO problems could be greatly abated with strong post play (currently lacking) and a consistent outside shooting threat (lacking).

Watch Oregon and the way they spread the floor because teams have to respect their outside shooting and they have post presence to boot. That combo makes offense so much easier! You have passing and driving lanes into the post or kick-outs to open shooters if things get crowded.

Right now, the LVs are either trying to force the ball into post who are not that good at post position (Key has her moments but she is not consistent or on the floor enough due to foul trouble). And the LVs don't have the shooters to spread the floor. Our main scorers (Davis, Horston, Burrell) are all best and prefer to drive the lane and get into the paint.

Those three are going to have start making teams respect the LVs perimeter game or this log jam will continue. Lou Brown could help as well. I hope they are getting lots of shots on this break.

The LVs have lost some of their edge of defense and rebounding and so they are not getting out in transition where they are the best.

That last regression is more immediately fixable than some of these other problems.

I am optimistic that this tough stretch of games will afford the LVs some growing pain challenges they did not get in their pre-conference schedule.

My prediction is that the LVs are going to start playing a lot better when they get back to it next week.

Last edited:
Folks, I wish everyone would go back and read this board after the LVs ran through Ole Miss, Georgia, and Florida. So much praise singing of how the LVs had turned the offensive corner and many (I think mistakenly) crediting Al Brown for the new found offensive proficiency.

If you go back a bit further, when Kellie took over (and before the Collin's transfer and Zaay injury), even then there was an understanding that this would be a transitional season and that the LVs would hit some bumps in the road.

These recent losses are what bumps feel like.

It painful to see so many posts making Horston a target; it is shades of Evina. A top ranked freshman who is being asked to carry a heavy load and having mixed results. What does anyone really expect?

As I posted before, the LVs TO problems could be greatly abated with strong post play (currently lacking) and a consistent outside shooting threat (lacking).

Watch Oregon and the way they spread the floor because teams have to respect their outside shooting and they have post presence to boot. That combo makes offense so much easier! You have passing and driving lanes into the post or kick-outs to open shooters if things get crowded.

Right now, the LVs are either trying to force the ball into post who are not that good at post position (Key has her moments but she is not consistent or on the floor enough due to foul trouble). And the LVs don't have the shooters to spread the floor. Our main scorers (Davis, Horston, Burrell) are all best and prefer to drive the lane and get into the paint.

Those three are going to have start making teams respect the LVs perimeter game or this log jam will continue. Lou Brown could help as well. I hope they are getting lots of shots on this break.

The LVs have lost some of their edge of defense and rebounding and so they are not getting out in transition where they are the best.

That last regression is more immediately fixable than some of these other problems.

I am optimistic that this tough stretch of games will afford the LVs some growing pain challenges they did not get in their pre-conference schedule.

My prediction is that the LVs are going to start playing a lot better when they get back to it next week.
Dang, madtown, you make too much sense. I read all these negative, handwringing post and just as I'm about to get all wound up and ready to jump off the cliff with them you come along with a highly insightful and level headed comment. You or they need to stop. I feel like a yoyo.

VN Store

Back