Lets think systematically about the T.O. problem

madtownvol

The LVs' all too frequent turnovers have a few recurrent causes, some of which are more easily and quickly fixed than others.

1. The disadvantage of size. We saw this big time against Uconn/Dangerfield and the KY guards, While the TV pundits keep harping on how the LVs 6-2 average is a huge advantage, there are situations where size is a liability.

Bigger guards, just based on bio-mechanics, don't have as a tight of a dribble and tend to be a touch slower in really tight spaces than smaller guards. Related example, in the NFL, cornerbacks tend to be shorter than WRs because, as defenders, they need to cut and react super quick to cover WR who have the advantage of knowing what route is being run.]

So, the taller LV guards are vulnerable to pressure from small guards. For old timers, remember how 5'2 Shonna Bobbitt reeked absolute defensive havoc on teams because she was so close to the floor and quick, nobody could get the ball up against her without feeling like that had a run a death gauntlet (or turning it over).

The Lvs are now on the wrong side of that mismatch. Jazz does pretty well against pressure but lanky, Jordan Horston is vulnerable and Rae often times as become a de facto ball handler and she gets stripped a lot.

With experience, Jordan will learn how to shield better with her body, not expose the ball but that it is a process.

2. Related to the above, the LVs often seem oblivious to just how quickly, quick guards can close down passing lanes. Maybe because the team does not have a Dangerfield type player, they just don't face that kind of defense in practice enough and hence that threat is not ingrained in their playing habits.

But, there is no reason that the LVs cannot significantly cut down on lazy passes or square passes (to use a soccer term for passes that are played straight across and easily intercepted)

3. Weak, weak post play. Often times, our post just do not get into position to receive a pass, which leads to a forced pass in the paint or the ball getting stuck around the perimeter (where bad outcomes often ensue).

Of course, the player who is not playing becomes the fan solution -- if only Saunders!!!!!...but I am not sure. Winning post position means making quick, aggressive movements to beat defenders to the spot and having the core and lower body strength to claim and hold the space.

KK probably has the lower body strength but she seems to be all slow twitch muscle fibers.

Key needs to improve her reflexes and build her lower body strength. She is great at blocking shots when players drive into the paint but when she has to post up, she becomes a rag doll against bigger opponents.

Saunders has some basic post skills but I think she is a bit like Key in needing a lot of physical development.

Realistically, coaching can help these players on their positioning and timing but, our two freshman really need a quality off season of strength and conditioning work and then, I think we will have something.

4. Stagnant offensive sets. On the whole, the team has gotten better on this dimension but, as the game wears on, they tend to fall into a "watch Jordan or Rennia try to make a play” mode. Some stagnation of that may reflect physical fatigue, because this group does work hard on the defensie end, but I think some of it is mental discipline and in-grained habits that take time to form.

But, this is an area which can be improved this season.

5. Lack of composure: Lately Kellie has been yelling "composure" and then burying her face in her hands. And I get it. Too many LV are just losing their composure under pressure and passing the ball 5 feet over their team mate's head or making really poor on court decisions. Such a situation is often the bane of a young team but, again this is an area where should expect more improvement as the season moves on.

Summation:

As I see it, problems 1 and 3 are likely to remain liabilities for this season and Kellie and staff will need to find some compensatory work-arounds.

2, 4, and 5 are more fixable and those improvements need to start happening soon. And we have seen some improvement but right now this team is in a bit of 2 steps forward one step back process but I think the overall learning curve is trending in the right direction.

MTV

The LVs' all too frequent turnovers have a few recurrent causes, some of which are more easily and quickly fixed than others.

1. The disadvantage of size. We saw this big time against Uconn/Dangerfield and the KY guards, While the TV pundits keep harping on how the LVs 6-2 average is a huge advantage, there are situations where size is a liability.

Bigger guards, just based on bio-mechanics, don't have as a tight of a dribble and tend to be a touch slower in really tight spaces than smaller guards. Related example, in the NFL, cornerbacks tend to be shorter than WRs because, as defenders, they need to cut and react super quick to cover WR who have the advantage of knowing what route is being run.]

So, the taller LV guards are vulnerable to pressure from small guards. For old timers, remember how 5'2 Shonna Bobbitt reeked absolute defensive havoc on teams because she was so close to the floor and quick, nobody could get the ball up against her without feeling like that had a run a death gauntlet (or turning it over).

The Lvs are now on the wrong side of that mismatch. Jazz does pretty well against pressure but lanky, Jordan Horston is vulnerable and Rae often times as become a de facto ball handler and she gets stripped a lot.

With experience, Jordan will learn how to shield better with her body, not expose the ball but that it is a process.

2. Related to the above, the LVs often seem oblivious to just how quickly, quick guards can close down passing lanes. Maybe because the team does not have a Dangerfield type player, they just don't face that kind of defense in practice enough and hence that threat is not ingrained in their playing habits.

But, there is no reason that the LVs cannot significantly cut down on lazy passes or square passes (to use a soccer term for passes that are played straight across and easily intercepted)

3. Weak, weak post play. Often times, our post just do not get into position to receive a pass, which leads to a forced pass in the paint or the ball getting stuck around the perimeter (where bad outcomes often ensue).

Of course, the player who is not playing becomes the fan solution -- if only Saunders!!!!!...but I am not sure. Winning post position means making quick, aggressive movements to beat defenders to the spot and having the core and lower body strength to claim and hold the space.

KK probably has the lower body strength but she seems to be all slow twitch muscle fibers.

Key needs to improve her reflexes and build her lower body strength. She is great at blocking shots when players drive into the paint but when she has to post up, she becomes a rag doll against bigger opponents.

Saunders has some basic post skills but I think she is a bit like Key in needing a lot of physical development.

Realistically, coaching can help these players on their positioning and timing but, our two freshman really need a quality off season of strength and conditioning work and then, I think we will have something.

4. Stagnant offensive sets. On the whole, the team has gotten better on this dimension but, as the game wears on, they tend to fall into a "watch Jordan or Rennia try to make a play” mode. Some stagnation of that may reflect physical fatigue, because this group does work hard on the defensie end, but I think some of it is mental discipline and in-grained habits that take time to form.

5. Lack of composure: Lately Kellie has been yelling "composure" and then burying her face in her hands. And I get it. Too many LV are just losing their composure under pressure and passing the ball 5 feet over their team mate's head or making really poor on court decisions. Such a situation is often the bane of a young team but, again this is an area where should expect more improvement as the season moves on.

Summation:

As I see it, problems 1 and 3 are likely to remain liabilities for this season and Kellie and staff will need to find some compensatory work-arounds.

2, 4, and 5 are more fixable and those improvements need to start happening soon. And we have seen some improvement but right now this team is in a bit of 2 steps forward one step back process but I think the overall learning curve is trending in the right direction.

MTV
As usual madtownvol great post and analysis
of the team problems.

I've notice that the turnover problem seems to affect the team more on the road than at home or maybe that is because we have played most of the better teams we've played on the road. We wilt more on the road than at home. We've had over 20 turnovers at home and still won. On the road 20 turnovers seems to be certain defeat. The schedule has not been kind as far as when it comes to better teams whom we've played at home and on the road. I hope we can keep defeating the teams were supposed to haven't lost but one all season. All the other losses we were the underdog. Hopefully we'll redeem that Texas loss where we were the favorite by defeating Texas A&M or Miss State at home we need to win those and they are both games we can win.

Reactions: RollerVol
My biggest issue watching the women's team and also the men's. Full court pressure seems to be a mystery to solve for both coaches. You have five on the court. Use them all to break the press with the pass and not the dribble.

Reactions: nash101
reposted:

Turnovers as I saw them
PS ...I may have gotten one or two wrong, as I have a tv and a digital recorder,,,so please keep this in mind....I don;t have Al Brown's equipment to do this

Q1
8:54TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #0 Davis, Rennia at the outside right,...,a forced error on the entry pass from out of bounds forced
8:06TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #25 Horston, Jordan at the inside left,...,a defended pass from Jordan to Lou Brown forced
5:12TENT-Travel Turnover by TEN #12 Burrell, Rae at the inside righ,...,tRay Burrell dribbles into the paint with no options unforced
4:06TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #11 Kushkituah, Kasiyahna in the paint,...,bad pass from KK to Burrell Over Burrell's head unforced
2:34TENT-3sec Turnover by TEN #11 Kushkituah, Kasiyahna in the paint,...,3 second call on kk unforced
0:33TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #25 Horston, Jordan at the inside right,...,Jordan Bad Pass to Jazmine unforced
0:00TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #25 Horston, Jordan at the outside left,...,Jordan with time running out has the Hoist up a shot being double teamed forced
Q2
7:55TENT-Offensive Turnover by TEN #13 Massengill, Jazmine under the basket,...,Jazmine dribbles and pushes off defender unforced
7:26TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #21 Brown, Lou at the inside left,...,Lou Brown bed entry pass to key in the paint unforced
5:31TENT-Lostball Turnover by TEN #21 Brown, Lou in the backcourt,...,Lou Brown tried to throw the ball off the leg of the defender and the defender got the ball unforced
3:48TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #21 Brown, Lou at the inside right,...,Lou bad pass to KK unforced
3:23CHELDBALLKK and ONO get tied up, jump ball forced
3:10TENT-Shotclock Turnover by TEN at the inside righ,...,tshot clock running down Burrell receives the past at the arc elbow extended and does not take the shot unforced
1:28TENT-Lostball Turnover by TEN #12 Burrell, Rae at the inside right,...,Rae dribbles into a double team and tries to flip the ball over to KK unforced
1:08TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #12 Burrell, Rae in the backcourt,...,Burrelloutlet, overthrows Davis unforced
0:00TENT-Lostball Turnover by TEN #0 Davis, Rennia in the backcourt,...,3.9 seconds left and the length of the car to go Lou inbounds the past 2 Davis who is immediately double-teamed forced
Q3
9:09TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #25 Horston, Jordan in the backcourt,...,JH bad handoff to Davis unforced
6:43TENT-Lostball Turnover by TEN #20 Key, Tamari at the inside left,...,Jazmine open for 3 but passes to key who was expecting the shot unforced
5:38TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #11 Kushkituah, Kasiyahna in the paint,...,KK receive the entry pass in the paint is double-teamed and tries to pass it out forced
5:26TENT-Lostball Turnover by TEN #0 Davis, Rennia in the backcourt,...,Burrell outlet to Davis passes defended forced
4:58TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #25 Horston, Jordan at the inside right,...,Jordan gets in trouble tries to pass passes deflected tries to pass again forced
4:27TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #5 Harris, Kamera in the backcourt,...,KK from the top of the arc passes to an open Harris at the Baseline Arc unforced
4:15TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #11 Kushkituah, Kasiyahna at the outside center,...,Jordan get tied up on a rebound forced
3:26TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #25 Horston, Jordan in the paint,...,Jordan attacking paint , defended well forced
2:00TENT-Offensive Turnover by TEN #5 Harris, Kamera under the basket,...,offensive foul called against Jordan 4 going through a pic forced
Q4
9:16TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #10 Rennie, Jessie at the outside center,...,Jesse bad pass off the leg of her defender unforced
5:19TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #0 Davis, Rennia at the outside center,...,Davis throws the ball over Burrell in an undefended unforced
3:35CHELDBALL0 unforced
:24TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #13 Massengill, Jazmine in the paint,...,Jazmine dribbles towards the Baseline has to pass the ball bc she's jumping out of bounds unforced

reposted:

Turnovers as I saw them
PS ...I may have gotten one or two wrong, as I have a tv and a digital recorder,,,so please keep this in mind....I don;t have Al Brown's equipment to do this

Q1
8:54TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #0 Davis, Rennia at the outside right,...,a forced error on the entry pass from out of bounds forced
8:06TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #25 Horston, Jordan at the inside left,...,a defended pass from Jordan to Lou Brown forced
5:12TENT-Travel Turnover by TEN #12 Burrell, Rae at the inside righ,...,tRay Burrell dribbles into the paint with no options unforced
4:06TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #11 Kushkituah, Kasiyahna in the paint,...,bad pass from KK to Burrell Over Burrell's head unforced
2:34TENT-3sec Turnover by TEN #11 Kushkituah, Kasiyahna in the paint,...,3 second call on kk unforced
0:33TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #25 Horston, Jordan at the inside right,...,Jordan Bad Pass to Jazmine unforced
0:00TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #25 Horston, Jordan at the outside left,...,Jordan with time running out has the Hoist up a shot being double teamed forced
Q2
7:55TENT-Offensive Turnover by TEN #13 Massengill, Jazmine under the basket,...,Jazmine dribbles and pushes off defender unforced
7:26TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #21 Brown, Lou at the inside left,...,Lou Brown bed entry pass to key in the paint unforced
5:31TENT-Lostball Turnover by TEN #21 Brown, Lou in the backcourt,...,Lou Brown tried to throw the ball off the leg of the defender and the defender got the ball unforced
3:48TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #21 Brown, Lou at the inside right,...,Lou bad pass to KK unforced
3:10TENT-Shotclock Turnover by TEN at the inside righ,...,tshot clock running down Burrell receives the past at the arc elbow extended and does not take the shot unforced
1:28TENT-Lostball Turnover by TEN #12 Burrell, Rae at the inside right,...,Rae dribbles into a double team and tries to flip the ball over to KK unforced
1:08TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #12 Burrell, Rae in the backcourt,...,Burrelloutlet, overthrows Davis unforced
0:00TENT-Lostball Turnover by TEN #0 Davis, Rennia in the backcourt,...,3.9 seconds left and the length of the car to go Lou inbounds the past 2 Davis who is immediately double-teamed forced
Q3
9:09TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #25 Horston, Jordan in the backcourt,...,JH bad handoff to Davis unforced
6:43TENT-Lostball Turnover by TEN #20 Key, Tamari at the inside left,...,Jazmine open for 3 but passes to key who was expecting the shot unforced
5:38TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #11 Kushkituah, Kasiyahna in the paint,...,KK receive the entry pass in the paint is double-teamed and tries to pass it out forced
5:26TENT-Lostball Turnover by TEN #0 Davis, Rennia in the backcourt,...,Burrell outlet to Davis passes defended forced
4:58TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #25 Horston, Jordan at the inside right,...,Jordan gets in trouble tries to pass passes deflected tries to pass again forced
4:27TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #5 Harris, Kamera in the backcourt,...,KK from the top of the arc passes to an open Harris at the Baseline Arc unforced
4:15TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #11 Kushkituah, Kasiyahna at the outside center,...,Jordan get tied up on a rebound forced
3:26TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #25 Horston, Jordan in the paint,...,Jordan attacking paint , defended well forced
2:00TENT-Offensive Turnover by TEN #5 Harris, Kamera under the basket,...,offensive foul called against Jordan 4 going through a pic forced
Q4
9:16TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #10 Rennie, Jessie at the outside center,...,Jesse bad pass off the leg of her defender unforced
5:19TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #0 Davis, Rennia at the outside center,...,Davis throws the ball over Burrell in an undefended unforced
:24TENT-Badpass Turnover by TEN #13 Massengill, Jazmine in the paint,...,Jazmine dribbles towards the Baseline has to pass the ball bc she's jumping out of bounds unforced
And so 17 unforced turnovers where we got no shot at the basket. What if we had got those shots how many do we make. If we only make six just over 30 percent gets us to 57 points. So as has been stated the turnovers minus 16 as they had 11 and we had 27 caused us to attempt 17 less shots that is the total problem with the team right now. You really got to shoot a high percentage to give up 17 more shot attempts than you take. In this case they only had to shoot 32 percent to win. Whatever they are working on in practice this needs to be the ultimate of time spent you can't win games with our shot differential.

I've notice that the turnover problem seems to affect the team more on the road than at home or maybe that is because we have played most of the better teams we've played on the road. We wilt more on the road than at home. We've had over 20 turnovers at home and still won. On the road 20 turnovers seems to be certain defeat. The schedule has not been kind as far as when it comes to better teams whom we've played at home and on the road. I hope we can keep defeating the teams were supposed to haven't lost but one all season. All the other losses we were the underdog. Hopefully we'll redeem that Texas loss where we were the favorite by defeating Texas A&M or Miss State at home we need to win those and they are both games we can win.

I don't think it makes much difference where you commit 20+ turnovers you will lose. As to doing better at home with this many TOs, you will usually shoot better and offset some of the TOs. Also the fans will tend to over look your TOs at home. On the road the will hoot and laugh you to a "beatin down" mind set and that never helps your cause.

Summation:

MTV
I like your comments. I saw three or four times that Uconn got the ball from about 18 feet and our guard stood five feet away and invited her to shoot and she did and we see what happened. I think coach Harper has to DEMAND more and if she doesn't get it then the players pay the consequences. South Carolina has a young team as does Uconn and look how they are playing. A lot of this has to be on the coach, as you can't be their friend in practice or on the court and be a excellent coach. Look at our schedule and you can see that we have not beaten a good team all year.

Better results will come with only two solutions either commit less turnovers or force your opponent into more turnovers. The shot differential we've had in several games are the reason the results were so poor.

reposted:

Turnovers as I saw them

Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Out of 27 TOs Uconn had 17 steals. Those are forced turnovers.

Out of 27 TOs Uconn had 17 steals. Those are forced turnovers.
I watch the game specifically for every single turn over that was listed and the time it was listed at. These are just turnovers by my opinion only. Just because the ball ended up being called a still doesn't mean we didn't do something to cause it

Reactions: lvocd
And so 17 unforced turnovers where we got no shot at the basket. What if we had got those shots how many do we make. If we only make six just over 30 percent gets us to 57 points. So as has been stated the turnovers minus 16 as they had 11 and we had 27 caused us to attempt 17 less shots that is the total problem with the team right now. You really got to shoot a high percentage to give up 17 more shot attempts than you take. In this case they only had to shoot 32 percent to win. Whatever they are working on in practice this needs to be the ultimate of time spent you can't win games with our shot differential.

like I said my complaint is the lack of value we place on the ball. Until this is addressed we will not improve and Holly might as well have stayed. I am not into bashing the coach because I am sure the coach knows the value of the ball, but the players have to perform. Two unforced TO should get you benched, but maybe the depth so many people say we have is a mirage. We have great young women on our team but only 7or maybe 8 should be playing in the league TN plays in. This years team lacks a point guard tandem. We have one point that hates to shoot and thats it, Jordan is more suited to be a scoring option not a point but she tries.

like I said my complaint is the lack of value we place on the ball. Until this is addressed we will not improve and Holly might as well have stayed. I am not into bashing the coach because I am sure the coach knows the value of the ball, but the players have to perform. Two unforced TO should get you benched, but maybe the depth so many people say we have is a mirage. We have great young women on our team but only 7or maybe 8 should be playing in the league TN plays in. This years team lacks a point guard tandem. We have one point that hates to shoot and thats it, Jordan is more suited to be a scoring option not a point but she tries.
Holly shouldn't have stayed as long as she did and certainly shouldn't be here now. I have seen enough improvement on the defensive side of the ball to be more than willing to give this staff time to correct the problems were facing on the offensive side of the ball. I agree with some of your points especially about Jordan but we don't have anyone else other than Massengill that can play point. I definitely think there was a lot to correct and there is only so much time to work on any certain problem.

Summation:

MTV

Thank you for this great breakdown, MTV!!

Reactions: madtownvol

Summation:

MTV
Not to worry! The Turnover problem isn't a real problem. It is the youth of the team and coach and it show. Kellie is an excellent coach on the way to greatness, make no mistake in that.
The size of UT isn't an issue, is it? But the use of that size to me is an issue. Uconn out rebounded UT, why? Hustle. Energy.

Now there wasn't a player in the SEC or for Pat that hustled better than Kellie. Somehow, someway she needs to get her mental image of that to her team. She is Too darn nice to these kids. When they screw up she needs to make it immediate and powerful to them. Turnover shall not be tolerated.

UT is a big good shooting team that does not rebound to their height advantage. Simple statement that much have a fix in practices. The weakness of UT were shown up in the UC game. Everyone watching that game KNEW UT was going to win--then they didn't. Hustle, determination, mental toughness. The NCAA WCBB world saw a team that should be ranked in the 1 to 4 category in the first half. The second half showed why they are 23. Holly was a great assistant and terrible Head Coach. Kellie is a top level head coach that needs to put away the gloves and come at her team swinging.

Thank you for this great breakdown, MTV!!
The Turnovers by UT is due to court awareness and attention for 40 minutes to the game. Where and what are your teammates doing? The passer must be aware of the catcher--is she aware? Chemistry? Kelly get 30 pickup games a week and let them find out who wants the ball where and when. Bad passes happen but 17 is a measure of alertness and court awareness --i.e. know your teammates.

Reactions: mytenn and lvocd
A lot of the steals were because of bad passes. When you throw the ball to your opponent instead of your teammate it is counted as a steal. Not anything UConn did on a lot of those plays just poor play by the Lady Vols

After the game, women’s basketball fans Stevie Wonder, Andrea Bocelli and Jose Feliciano ALL were quoted as saying that they could see all those “steals” coming, what with all the casual passing the Lady Vols were doing. :eek:

Reactions: mytenn
Within the Game the POINT Guard is the on-floor-boss. What she says goes the extension of the Coach on the floor. For the GAME the COACH is the ultimate leader whose word instantly is obeyed. Basketball is a team sport but not a democracy--I hold the coach responsible and I'm sure Kelly does too. This is a near very very good team--make it one.

After the game, women’s basketball fans Stevie Wonder, Andrea Bocelli and Jose Feliciano ALL were quoted as saying that they could see all those “steals” coming, what with all the casual passing the Lady Vols were doing. :eek:
Within the Game the POINT Guard is the on-floor-boss. What she says goes the extension of the Coach on the floor. For the GAME the COACH is the ultimate leader whose word instantly is obeyed. Basketball is a team sport but not a democracy--I hold the coach responsible and I'm sure Kelly does too. This is a near very very good team--make it one.
When players don't have to think of too many options on the floor and with experience good players see Steals on the way to happening. Some players make it an art, some never see them coming. But every player should see the catcher before passing the ball.

That is part of the loss of composure in some cases and other times, teammates not helping the player with the ball out. When a press is on, you have to "show" for the ball to create a passing option. Sometimes, when the pressure is on, some of the LVs look like they are hiding on the floor and not wanting the hot potato.

On the whole, we have a pretty good group of defenders. We a are little short on skilled ball handlers and consistent outside shooters.

Reactions: stllvf

VN Store

Back