Let's talk Gundy, Strong, Fisher

bigsteve13

THE BOSS
My thoughts are, Gundy is better than Strong "on paper"
he had two very successful seasons in 2010 and 2011 but a very lackluster season this year. It's the Big 12 so there is more competition than Strong has been up against in the Big East. He has zero SEC experience which is what really turns me off. With Strong and Jimbo Fisher they at least know what this environment is like and how competitive recruiting is. This really plays to Strong's favor since he was named one of the top 25 recruiters in 07 helping Florida land the top class. If we went Big 12, I would want to go all in for Stoops but apparently that got shot down quick. I'm sorry guys, not to be negative, but I don't see a situation where we hit a home run in our coaching hire.

Jimbo Fisher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mike Gundy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Charlie Strong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
RERnH.gif

Reactions: 1 person
Yes, I have been wanting to have this talk. Gundy vs Strong vs Fisher

It is going to be one of those three.

What are their records?

Yes, I have been wanting to have this talk. Gundy vs Strong vs Fisher

It is going to be one of those three.

What are their records?

check out the links. none really impress me. Jimbo's is obviously the best since he's only been at FSU for 3 seasons.

I just don't want Gundy, i would rather have Strong or Fisher they know the Sec better.

1st off.....its' going to be Gruden, IMO. Sorry I can't help myself.

However, in the case I'm wrong (I may very well be), here are my thoughts:

Common sense says that IF it's one of those, it's going to be Strong. Fisher won't leave FSU, and Gundy won't leave OSU. Both are having really good success there, have nothing to prove anymore, and are not on the hot seat at all.

Strong is the choice out of those three. He still has something to prove, in moving to a huge conference. He has two national championship rings as a coordinator, and would be good on the recruiting trail as a Head Coach. My only concern is not sure about the staff he would bring on.

I don't want Strong. I want Gruden. But, if Gruden, Stoops, Patterson, Mora or Petersen ain't happening, and we HAVE to go to that level, I would get behind Charlie Strong.

Would he be the first African-American coach we've ever had? Just wondering.

FootballScoop Staff @footballscoop

#ThatTimeOfYear Charlie Strong> RT @ericcrawford: Strong, again, and for the record, denies having talked to Tennessee or Auburn.

I think this is smoke but I really hate the whole drama/song and dance routine with coaching hires...

With a gun to my head and only those 3 choices I would pick .......... Fisher.

And then I would beg you to pull the trigger.

We can get Strong the cheapest and round out an all star staff. That's the way I'd lean. My main reasons for wanting Strong are that defense wins championships and he can have a direct impact on our weakest area immediately. Lastly we could, if desired, keep most of our offensive staff who have done well together and continue some stability through a transition. As much as coaching is to blame I think all the turnover scheme changes on D is what has killed us more than anything these last few years.

Last edited:
I rank them Strong, Fisher, Gundy.

To me, with Okie State's facilities and conference, Gundy should have recruited much better than he did.

Jimbo does a good job recruiting at FSU. Hard for an ACC school to compete with SEC Florida, but he manages to bring in a good haul. My problem is, he doesn't seem to do too much with them when he gets them.

I would list them as, Gundy, Fisher, then Strong. Gundy would be as close to a home run as we could get IMO. Add a DC and a couple defensive assistants and I think we win 10 games next year. I see recruiting as a wash with all 3 guys as they have all won/share a conference title recently. I do think doing it in the BIG12 is a bigger deal for Gundy. I would expect Gundy to demand a much higher salary as well. I think he would require 4.5, Fisher would be around 3.75, and Strong would be around 3. Any one of them makes us a much better football team for 2013.

I rank them Strong, Fisher, Gundy.

To me, with Okie State's facilities and conference, Gundy should have recruited much better than he did.

Jimbo does a good job recruiting at FSU. Hard for an ACC school to compete with SEC Florida, but he manages to bring in a good haul. My problem is, he doesn't seem to do too much with them when he gets them.

100% agree. :good!:

I really don't see Fisher leaving FSU. Personally, I think Gundy's accomplishments as a head coach are much more impressive than Strong's. My guess is that if it comes down to one of these three (and I hope it does not) Strong will be the AD's first choice because your can probably get Strong for the least amount of money and you can probably get him to keep most of the existing staff on the offensive side of the ball which means you save even more $ due to less buyouts.

1. Gundy
2. Mora Jr.
3. Strong
4. Fisher

The thing that bothers me with Fisher is that he has recruited elite talent to FSU and has, for the most part, squandered it by losing many games he should have won. Also, he has recruited that talent in a state loaded with great players, so FSU isn't that difficult a place to pull-in top recruits. I worry how he would fare with a job that focuses on recruiting nationally, and without the in-built benefits of a place like FSU.

I would much rather have Gundy, who has recruited extremely well to freakin' Stillwater, winning the Big 12 and nearly made the NC last year. This year was a setback, but it was expected.

Mora has simply turned around UCLA in one season. Their improvement was vast and fast.

Strong is a question-mark because he has done well in many regards, but also seemingly poor in other regards. He took a 4-8 team from 3 years ago and made it into a Big East champion BCS team. However, he also did it in a terribly weak conference. His recruiting at UofL has not been outstanding with respect to rankings, numbers, and stars. However, he was pulling some talented players to the boring barren wasteland that is Louisville, a basketball first school, with sucky facilities, in a sucky conference. So, for every positive there is a detraction; yet, with every detraction there is also a positive. Strong is a guy you just have to hire to see what he can do with SEC facilities and talent. Judging him from his results at Louisville simply won't render an accurate reading of his potential, whether good or bad.

Yeah, because Saban, Miles & Meyer were all failures since they weren't from the south & new the SEC well.

yeah the ACC and Big 12(?) arent the SEC but its still big boy football. Gundy and Fisher arent fools. they know full well what they would be walking into and both have had recent success to sell.

I think Hart ranks them Fisher, Gundy, then Strong.

Fisher is the most proven one of the three. He runs a big time program, recruits in the same general region as us, and has wins against better competition.

Gundy is only slightly better than Strong because he has a longer track record and has beaten better competition.

Any of the three would be a good hire IMO and great hires if we give them the money to build an allstar staff around them.

VN Store

Back