Lets talk about tackling

The corners have been missing tackles all day., getting blown off the receivers after the catch.

I mean the ball hung up in the air for days on some passes. That doesn’t happen against SEC defenses.

There were so many examples of bad tackling, where do I start? How many times did we chase after AR only to flop down at his feet? That absolute clown show where THREE tacklers missed the receiver after the catch.

What are they teaching these guys in practice? I mean, the guys are often sharing the same space, how is it that nobody seems to know how to wrap up?
Banks is NOT the answer.

1. We're not committed to stopping the run because we're playing split safeties all game

2. We're giving up outside leverage when they play stacked close which makes no sense.

3. When we do blitz it's a zone blitz 100% of the time so easy pickin's
What do you mean by #2? Just trying to learn more about the x and o's of the game. I guess when they're stacking their wr's we're not matching up properly?

I’m at Waffle House with my pads on. I just put back a double stack and drank a gallon of syrup. Everybody come on down. I’m ready to put on a clinic.

Vols had a great tackle to force the fumble and secure the win.

There were so many examples of bad tackling, where do I start? How many times did we chase after AR only to flop down at his feet? That absolute clown show where THREE tacklers missed the receiver after the catch.

What are they teaching these guys in practice? I mean, the guys are often sharing the same space, how is it that nobody seems to know how to wrap up?
BTW... We won

What do you mean by #2? Just trying to learn more about the x and o's of the game. I guess when they're stacking their wr's we're not matching up properly?
They lined up WRs close to the OL in a 2x2 formation. When people line up like that or in close bunch(3x1) they are usually trying to create space to the outside, not all the time. Popular concept is mesh with one WR running a corner route or Y corner with RB going to flat. If you don't hold outside leverage, it's an easy throw. You're also setting the edge in the run game, so if you don't hold the edge and turn the run back inside, there's no one else to make the play.

BTW... We won

And I am darn glad for that. Thats what winners do - find a way to win. But that doesnt mean tackling was not atrocious and HAS TO BE FIXED.

If we keep doing badly at fundamentals, even a team with a heart as big as this one and a magnificent QB may lose one that we should not (LSU or KY).

VN Store

Back