Let's look at scholarship numbers

They'll get to 25 somehow, I believe. Magic dust or something like that. lol.

I wish the recruiting services could list the available spots. I realize that it is very fluid, but it would be nice.

I always get confused with the numbers especially when I hear Pruitt talk about being about 20 players light this year? I do know that Pruitt has done something Butch never did, which is keep the nucleus of classes together avoiding mass defections of highly touted guys every year, which keeps your team perpetually young. Historically, “old” teams, even if not top shelf talent seem to do pretty well...Miz overboast few years, KY last year, MST last few years.
That seems to confuse a lot of people. I heard him say it after the Alabama game and he was referring to guys he had available to play that day, I believe. We only had 60-something scholarship players who were available to play in that game, according to how I interpreted it. He was referring to the actual scholarship numbers minus injuries and guys who are redshirting.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
I copied this a couple weeks ago from somewhere on the board, so whomever I stole this from, my apologies for not giving credit. I've updated it with recent developments over the last couple of weeks.

Please let me know if you guys see anything that missing or incorrect.

By my count, if the guys in the portal all leave, Kennedy gets a 6th year, and Trey Smith doesn't return, we have 67 66 scholarship players that will be on the roster next season [5 seniors, 18 17 juniors, 14 sophomores, and 30 freshmen]. Obviously, we could see more reshirts of non-seniors, but that shouldn't have an impact on the total roster number.

***[edit: the breakdown was originally posted by @smokeyz1. I didn't double check everything, so if it's wrong blame him. I kid. Thanks for your work, @smokeyz1.] -- Scholarships

Again, this isn't in stone so I appreciate any corrections.

• Update #1: Andrew Craig is listed as a junior but went through the Senior Day celebration. That brings the total down to 66 scholarship players.

Seniors [leaving] (8)
M. Callaway
J. Jennings
T. Byrd
D. Wood-Anderson
D. Taylor
D. Bituli
N. Warrior
R. Lovingood

Seniors [returning] (5)
B. Kennedy (may apply for 6th year)
C. Fils-Aime (redshirting)
B. Johnson (redshirting)
E. Gooden (redshirting)
B. Buchanan (redshirting)

Juniors (17)
J. Guarantano
T. Chandler
T. Jordan
J. Palmer
A. Pope
R. Locklear
J. Johnson
M. Butler
A. Solomon
J. Blakely
L. Bumphus
D. Johnson
J. Allen
T. Jackson
K. George
S. Shamburger
B. Cimaglia

Juniors [not likely to return] (4)
A. Craig (PWO given scholarship past Summer) [the redshirt junior went through the Senior Day ceremony]
R. Johnson (transfer portal)
M. Tatum (transfer portal)
T. Smith (possibly leaving early)

Sophomores (14)
D. Gibbs
P. Fant
K. Calbert
J. Carvin
J. Mincey
S. Williams
D. Middleton
K. Bennett
S. Page
T. Flowers
C. Labruzza
A. Taylor
B. Thompson
P. Brooks

K. Hill * (not on scholarship now)
J. Doyle * (not on scholarship now)

Freshman (30)
JT Shrout
B. Maurer
E. Gray
C. Tillman
R. Keyton
J. Warren
J. Lowe
S. Brown
O. Lane
J. Lampley
W. Morris
C. Akporoghene
D. Wright
G. Emerson
K. Harris
E. Simmons
Ku. Garland
R. Harrison
Q. Crouch
JJ Peterson
H. To’oto’o
A Beasley
B. Davis
J. McCollough
T. Fields
W. Burrell
J. Abercrombie (PWO given scholarship)
I. Montgomery (PWO given scholarship)
K. Solomon (PWO given scholarship)
Kwauaze Garland (PWO given scholarship)

Freshmen [not likely to return] (1)
J. Means (transfer portal)

Gotta keep in mind, it's not just transfers. It can be medical retirements or graduation w/o transfer or eligibility due to grades. I expect 1-2 medical. 1-2 graduation. 2-4 additional transfers. 1-2 at risk with grades. I don't see a problem getting to 7 and a full class.

Reactions: Halph66
Gotta keep in mind, it's not just transfers. It can be medical retirements or graduation w/o transfer or eligibility due to grades. I expect 1-2 medical. 1-2 graduation. 2-4 additional transfers. 1-2 at risk with grades. I don't see a problem getting to 7 and a full class.

See, math-magic from a math-magician. I hope you are correct. We need some additional talented prospects.

Reactions: coach799
I would assume that those 4 PWO's who earned a scholarship is for this year only? Not likely to renew them next year if they get filled by a grad/transfer.

Reactions: VolFan4life24
@Freak that was my post and you are correct in your earlier post. We still need to lose 7 more non-seniors (even after the 3 that entered the portal in the last 2 days) before next Fall to bring in a full 25.

Another one to consider.. Does CJP allow Jeremy Banks to come back on the team? He wouldn't have to give him back his scholarship right away if we don't have one available in the 85 allowed.

Reactions: Freak
Another one to consider.. Does CJP allow Jeremy Banks to come back on the team? He wouldn't have to give him back his scholarship right away if we don't have one available in the 85 allowed.
from smokeyz1

I may be wrong here, but as I read the rule, if we brought in a class of 25 and still had one spot open in the 85, that scholarship could be given to Jeremy Banks because, as I understand it, he would no longer be considered an initial counter and wouldn't count against the 25 rule. Anybody know if that is correct or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Gandalf
How can we have 30 freshman with a scholarship? It thought everyone was limited to 25 Initial scholarships, that's why pwo's usually didn't see a scholarship until their junior year.

What is the story about Joe Doyle?
This is the first info I have seen of him not having a scholarship anymore.

Freak,

If I am being honest, this is like chinese trigonometry to me...... wish I had something to contribute to the conversation, but I am at a loss. Come on Vol nation.... Somebody on here has the answers. This would not be the best forum in the world if we didn't.

I would assume that those 4 PWO's who earned a scholarship is for this year only? Not likely to renew them next year if they get filled by a grad/transfer.
I don't think it works like that. To not renew a scholarship would have to be for a cause, it's my understanding-medical retirement, death, grades, etc. In any case I believe all NCAA schools are limited to 25 Initial Scholarships.

How can we have 30 freshman with a scholarship? It thought everyone was limited to 25 Initial scholarships, that's why pwo's usually didn't see a scholarship until their junior year.
The list includes redshirt freshmen.

Last edited:
Reactions: AllforTenn
Okay, makes sense. The reason I didn't think of that, was in the senior roster, redshirts were listed.
Yeah, I just did it that way since those guys are seniors, but will be coming back. All the others have redshirts mixed in.

Reactions: I40flyer
He's never been on scholarship as far as I know. He had offers, but being local, chose to play for Tennessee as a preferred walk-on.
And he should have been-what motivation does a young man have to be a walk-on (the hardest way known to man, to get a spot on the team), beat the scholarship guy, and not be given a scholarship? He is just dedicated-and as hard-core a Vol as there is. How many others would be playing for UT-with no scholarship, footing their own bills, yet playing hard enough to have a starting position? My guess is: quite a few less.

I don't think it works like that. To not renew a scholarship would have to be for a cause, it's my understanding-medical retirement, death, grades, etc. In any case I believe all NCAA schools are limited to 25 Initial Scholarships.

If that's the case they've changed the rules significantly. Schollys used to be when I was closer to the situation basically year to year. Seen a lot of guys pushing through lots of different issues while a coaching staff was using that scholly as a carrot on a stick to keep the donkey moving. Most coaching staffs don't want to get tagged with too many kids losing them as it can be used against you in recruiting. But in actuality they're year to year unless the rules were changed. it's one of the dirty little secrets of college athletics.

If that's the case they've changed the rules significantly. Schollys used to be when I was closer to the situation basically year to year. Seen a lot of guys pushing through lots of different issues while a coaching staff was using that scholly as a carrot on a stick to keep the donkey moving. Most coaching staffs don't want to get tagged with too many kids losing them as it can be used against you in recruiting. But in actuality they're year to year unless the rules were changed. it's one of the dirty little secrets of college athletics.
You sir, are 100% correct. Although some schools (I don't know if we're one of them) offer multi-year scholarships. With that said, my heart tells me, if they are contributing to the team, and have been for years, and done so- well enough to be given a Scholarship-they should keep it until Graduation. As in my opinion, it would be the right thing to do.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly

VN Store

Back