Let's look at scholarship numbers

Without egregious rule breaking, becoming academically ineligible, etc., you can't really pull a scholarship per se. My understanding is the staff does exit interviews at the end of each year. These type of players are given the business - hey you're not ever going to play here again. We are happy to help you transfer and keep playing or you can finish with a degree at UT and take a medical scholarship...
Do the exit interviews occur before NSD ?

We 23 new players so far, based off the latest update we are 5 players over so far. That's assume the 4 PWOs who received scholarships last year are still on scholarship.

Last edited:
I believe that if anyone transfers it’ll be Maurer. Tools and skill set wise Shrout is a better prospect than Maurer. BM is a dual threat qb whereas JTS is a pro-style. JTS is a better fit with CJC and what he likes to do. It’ll be interesting to see how JTS does with some more time under CJC’s tutelage.
I just want some one to come in and take the dang job. IMO, we've been having auditions since Dobbs left. Surely, one of the SIX on campus this spring will take over?

Reactions: 901 Orange
If we are 5 players over we are fine. I appreciate all these guys but there are easily 5 on that list that don’t return. 1-2 QBs transfer for sure. I don’t think Fils-Aime can crack either the RB or DB rotation. May see another OL transfer with the line we now have. We don’t know if Buchanon can get back. And there’s always a couple unforeseen.

Last edited:
Reactions: spyfish007
I copied this a couple weeks ago from somewhere on the board, so whomever I stole this from, my apologies for not giving credit. I've updated it with recent developments over the last couple of weeks.

Please let me know if you guys see anything that missing or incorrect.

Update 1/9/20: added Cade Mays, Velus Jones and Trey Smith (had assumed he wouldn't return). By my count that puts us at 69 scholarship players. We signed 21 during the early signing period, which makes 90.

***[edit: the breakdown was originally posted by @smokeyz1. I didn't double check everything, so if it's wrong blame him. I kid. Thanks for your work, @smokeyz1.] -- Scholarships

Again, this isn't in stone so I appreciate any corrections.

Seniors [leaving] (8)
M. Callaway
J. Jennings
T. Byrd
D. Wood-Anderson
D. Taylor
D. Bituli
N. Warrior
R. Lovingood

Seniors [returning] (5)
B. Kennedy (may apply for 6th year)
C. Fils-Aime (redshirting)
B. Johnson (redshirting)
E. Gooden (redshirting)
B. Buchanan (redshirting)

Juniors (19)
J. Guarantano
T. Chandler
T. Jordan
J. Palmer
A. Pope
R. Locklear
J. Johnson
M. Butler
A. Solomon
J. Blakely
L. Bumphus
D. Johnson
J. Allen
T. Jackson
K. George
S. Shamburger
B. Cimaglia
T. Smith
V. Jones

Juniors [not likely to return] (4)
A. Craig (PWO given scholarship past Summer) [the redshirt junior went through the Senior Day ceremony]
R. Johnson (transfer portal)
M. Tatum (transfer portal)
T. Smith (possibly leaving early)

Sophomores (15)
D. Gibbs
P. Fant
K. Calbert
J. Carvin
J. Mincey
S. Williams
D. Middleton
K. Bennett
S. Page
T. Flowers
C. Labruzza
A. Taylor
B. Thompson
P. Brooks
C. Mays

K. Hill * (not on scholarship now)
J. Doyle * (not on scholarship now)

Freshman (30)
JT Shrout
B. Maurer
E. Gray
C. Tillman
R. Keyton
J. Warren
J. Lowe
S. Brown
O. Lane
J. Lampley
W. Morris
C. Akporoghene
D. Wright
G. Emerson
K. Harris
E. Simmons
Ku. Garland
R. Harrison
Q. Crouch
JJ Peterson
H. To’oto’o
A Beasley
B. Davis
J. McCollough
T. Fields
W. Burrell
J. Abercrombie (PWO given scholarship)
I. Montgomery (PWO given scholarship)
K. Solomon (PWO given scholarship)
Kwauaze Garland (PWO given scholarship)

Freshmen [not likely to return] (1)
J. Means (transfer portal)

69 Scholarship player? Nice

You can delete the note about t Smith possibly leaving early and change Doyle to being in the portal

I am not trying to start an argument but the other site says after the recruits we have coming in right now, we have 80 on scholarship

I am not trying to start an argument but the other site says after the recruits we have coming in right now, we have 80 on scholarship
But the only thing to do to get to 85 this year would be to offer a walk-on a scholy right?

VN Store

Back