Let's look at scholarship numbers

If the staff decides to sign a full class of 25 then how will they trim the 7 from the current roster ? I’m also curious if anyone has a prediction on who the 7 may be ? Some of my inquiries may have been answered already.
UK fan here. Folks quit worrying getting down to 85. Losing seven between now and next Sept is not a problem. Players leave for a variety of reasons. Can't help you with who, don't follow your program closely.

Between QB Strout and Hill, I think one enters the transfer portal. Assuming that happens, that is a net zero on schollys.

Maybe Princeton Fant, Cheyenne LaBruzza and Ollie Lane are the only other ones that to me might be considering a transfer.
Hill is just getting here so I doubt he would leave.

We basically had the same situation this Spring. Don't recall the exact #, but when you added the Dec. 2018 and Feb. 2019 signees to the list of APPARENT returning scholarship players from the 2018 roster, it totaled about 90 scholarship players. But, over the course of this Spring and Summer, several 2018 roster scholarship guys left the team via transfer portal or medical retirement. One signee, Melvin McBride, I think medically retired, too.

I think we'll sign about 25 in the upcoming class. This means we'll then see several more scholarship guys on the 2019 roster that we haven't heard about yet either transfer out, medically retire, declare for draft, or leave school for other reasons prior to Fall 2020. It happens every year. But, we'll still sign the 25 or so.

Also, I doubt the 4 guys that were recently awarded scholarships were guaranteed a scholarship beyond the 2019-20 academic year.
This makes total sense to me. Thank you. One question, when do we have to be at the 85 limit? Like in the NFL you have a date for your 53 or whatever, is there a date you must be at 85? I’m guessing by game 1

In past years we heard a lot about grey shirt. How does that work and is that a way around the 25 number?

They would use up a spot in the following years recruiting class (2021)

We won't need any grey shirts with these numbers.

The normal attrition between end of one season, to the start of next, ranges from 10-20%. It is the nature of the beast. Survival of the fittest.

Most guys want to play. So, if you're not in top 80%, many opt for a school with a better skill fit or lower level competition.

I don't see how Banks could financially return without a scholly; based on what I've read he doesn't come from money. I don't know his situation with a hope scholarship or Pell grants but I think if UT can't give him a scholarship then he might be best served transferring somewhere like Chattanooga or TN Tech.

This makes total sense to me. Thank you. One question, when do we have to be at the 85 limit? Like in the NFL you have a date for your 53 or whatever, is there a date you must be at 85? I’m guessing by game 1

bigdaddy, we can't have more than 85 scholarship guys during an academic period. So, by Fall semester 2020, we'll be at 85 or less. Haven't seen academic calendar, but that semester has been starting mid to late August. And if not renewing a scholarship, you need to be fair to the player and let him know in advance he won't have a scholarship in Fall 2020 so he can pursue options. Those coach/player discussions use to occur by end of Spring, not sure if that has changed. Us fans may not find out a 2019 scholarship player is gone until Pruitt addresses media at start of Fall camp.

Reactions: bigdaddy
It is still year to year, so your conduct on and off the field, will always come into play.
I think it is the correct policy, as it allows for accountability for personal conduct on and off the field.

No school administration wants to be known as a school that heavily encourages transfers, just to free up scholarships. Other options, such as placing someone on medical scholarship will free up a scholarship that can be used for incoming commit.

It's something a lot of kids or their parents probably don't want to go public with if a coach is threatening their scholarship or yanks it. It casts a negative light on the student and besides the family has often crowed so much when they got it, hard to eat crow if a kid loses it for any reason. Bama football once was notorious by rumor for talking kids into medical scholarships or retirements rather than just terminating the scholly, they are experts in how they manage their rosters. I became acquainted with it many years ago when I fellow I knew was called into his HC's office as a junior baseball player. The HC explained his performance the last season was so poor given the expectations set for the player out of the goodness of his heart rather than terminating his scholly altogether he would allow the player to return his senior year but on a "half" scholarship, the player could get a loan and pay for the other half. To which the then young man did, came back for his senior season and was named an All American for his superior play ... that he partially paid for out of his pocket. So when you see NFL or sometimes NBA players not representing for the colleges they attended, instead mentioning their high schools, some of those are stories like the one I just shared driving it.

Reactions: VOLSONLY and Vol524
I don't see how Banks could financially return without a scholly; based on what I've read he doesn't come from money. I don't know his situation with a hope scholarship or Pell grants but I think if UT can't give him a scholarship then he might be best served transferring somewhere like Chattanooga or TN Tech.

You must not have seen the buckets of easy money they toss at students these days in the form of student loans. A completely off the wall scenario they could be using for Banks in a UT future. Pruitt has read Banks the riot act. Kicked him off the team. Yet Banks based on Pruitt giving him a narrow path to redemption also gives him a list of things he has to do to make it back. No doing 95%, Banks has to complete the list 100% before Pruitt can trust him to go to bat for his return. One of the things listed is he has to stay in school at UT and on his own dime. The other is he has to make public his apology to the police he's insulted. No other bad publicity. yada yada yada. I have no clue if something like this is in play however he's still in school last report I got.

As to your other point, it seems like some of these receivers would have seen the chance for playing time next year. Idk.

Could be a lack of faith in our projected QB and Pruitt's loyalty to him, and no as yet bona fide effective replacement. I think JG will come back (he graduated) with a massive determination to show a big progression. Not just in passing but finally the dual-threat capacity he originally came in with. Right or wrong, I get the impression he was for some reason discouraged from running, and only recently with Chaney here, he was finally encouraged to do so. I also think Mauer will prove to be more effective. Not sure about Shrout yet. But the fleeing WRs may be seeing our QBs and not being able to consistently get them the ball so are leaving.

You have to be at 85 or below every semester. Since most of the 2020 class will enroll summer and fall of next year, we will need to manage the numbers to remain at or below 85 for those semesters. Not sure all the players are taking classes in the summer so Fall is the key for numbers.

JG had best show out big in 2020. Because if Hill gets on the field, he isn't coming out. Performance-wise, really believe he will be a decent version of Cam Newton. He's got the build, the size, the arm, and not overly easy to bring down once he has a head of steam. It's also part of the reason I think we'll see a running version of JG in 2020.

It will be interesting to look back at this thread after the recruiting cycle and see how the staff gets the numbers to work out for comparison.

JG had best show out big in 2020. Because if Hill gets on the field, he isn't coming out. Performance-wise, really believe he will be a decent version of Cam Newton. He's got the build, the size, the arm, and not overly easy to bring down once he has a head of steam. It's also part of the reason I think we'll see a running version of JG in 2020.

A career completion percentage of 54. 11td/4int. No he's not the savior. Plus torn knees each year. He's here for depth, if that, practice squad more than anything.

If JG is here next year, BM will be the backup unless HB takes it. KH will be at best 4th string.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
A career completion percentage of 54. 11td/4int. No he's not the savior. Plus torn knees each year. He's here for depth, if that, practice squad more than anything.

If JG is here next year, BM will be the backup unless HB takes it. KH will be at best 4th string.

Your take isn't implausible. I believe different and we both our Vols winning even if a Model T-800 is the QB.

Your take isn't implausible. I believe different and we both our Vols winning even if a Model T-800 is the QB.

I'm not in favor of JG currently, I don't believe he's got much more ceiling to rise to. Conversely, I believe the BM and HB do. KH, however, is not a quarterback suited for this offense and team. He's a spread offense running QB, he's no Cam, and not even a sniff of LJ.

Thought I’d heard CJP say numerous times that we only have 65 players on Scholarship. This looks right but surprises me

But we lose some to graduation, and i read where we have 9 players in transfer portal. I don't understand all of this, but it appears to me if we sign 25 with all that are leaving we still don't have 85 unless I am missing something. 65 minus the transfers of 9 and those graduating and leaving, plus trey smith as a jr if he leaves. 8 seniors leaving; leaves us with 47 on scholarship when they leave, plus 25 new ones is 72 on scholarship. I may be totally wrong on this, I admit I don't understand all of this.

VN Store

Back