Let's just not even play in the SEC Tournament Next Year

They’ll add “2022” to the existing one.1936, 1941, 1943, 1979, and 2022 need one each. Hopefully they’ll soon replace the single banner with one for each year. If they run out of space they can consolidate some of Pat’s.

They won't mess with Pat's. The last time I was there (it has been awhile) it was a clean split with one side of the Arena being Men's and the other being Women's for banners. I don't think they should touch that in my opinion.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
They won't mess with Pat's. The last time I was there (it has been awhile) it was a clean split with one side of the Arena being Men's and the other being Women's for banners. I don't think they should touch that in my opinion.

They would if Dave Hart was still here.

The Woke Blowback would be loud. There’s still room right now, but if the championships become annual events, room will be made.

I’m not predicting Pat’s banners will come down. They could be rearranged though if the basketball program keeps on running.

They would if Dave Hart was still here.

The Woke Blowback would be loud. There’s still room right now, but if the championships become annual events, room will be made.

I’m not predicting Pat’s banners will come down. They could be rearranged though if the basketball program keeps on running.

I don't think you should stick Men's stuff on the Women's side. It is an even split right now. Just consolidate more of the Men's banners.

The Women's teams have Championship Banners, the Men's teams have appearance banners. Big Difference.

After Tennessee winning…….I hope they NEVER stop the tournament.

They simply need to “start” the championship game on Saturday between noon and 2.

The committee quit early Saturday. Va Tech did not get the boost from beating Duke, nor did Duke get penalized……..along with a few other teams.

so it has to be done on Saturday……and not Saturday night.

Reactions: volbound1700
I don't think you should stick Men's stuff on the Women's side. It is an even split right now. Just consolidate more of the Men's banners.

The Women's teams have Championship Banners, the Men's teams have appearance banners. Big Difference.

One of my biggest disappointments was that the Lady Vols didn’t stay in Stokely and make it their own. They don’t need 20,000 (25,000 at first) seats. Never did. Their sellouts were happening with ticket giveaways or admitting fans with a can of food. And I love Pat. Some of the LV fans though are/were insufferable. The ones that also hated TN football and watchable basketball.

One of my biggest disappointments was that the Lady Vols didn’t stay in Stokely and make it their own. They don’t need 20,000 (25,000 at first) seats. Never did. Their sellouts were happening with ticket giveaways or admitting fans with a can of food. And I love Pat. Some of the LV fans though are/were insufferable. The ones that also hated TN football and watchable basketball.

Funny thing is that TBA was built primarily for the Lady Vols. It was not until the Bruce Pearl era that people started coming out for the Men's BBall games. I was at UT when Pearl first got hired. I remember the Women's games (especially the big ones) being packed while the Men's were meh. That changed with Bruce Pearl and really hasn't gone back since. The other coaches after Pearl did a good job keeping our program somewhat intact. We have been a stronger program ever since that hire.

Funny thing is that TBA was built primarily for the Lady Vols. It was not until the Bruce Pearl era that people started coming out for the Men's BBall games. I was at UT when Pearl first got hired. I remember the Women's games (especially the big ones) being packed while the Men's were meh. That changed with Bruce Pearl and really hasn't gone back since. The other coaches after Pearl did a good job keeping our program somewhat intact. We have been a stronger program ever since that hire.

You couldn’t be more wrong. Planning on a replacement arena began while Mears was still coaching Ernie and Bernie.

No it wasn’t! TBA was designed and funded for in the early 1980s because Din Devoe had the program winning & competing for SEC championships and Tennessee wanted to keep him. The building was 2 years behind schedule (was originally planned to open 1985, but didn’t until 1987 due to construction issues).

At the time, Rupp and other on campus facilities hosted Final Fours and Tennessee elected to go to 25k with that in mind. Of course the FF blew up and by 90s they were in domes seating 50-60k.

Most of those championships involved the clubbing of baby seals. The levels of competition aren’t at all comparable.

I get that a lot of people really like lady vols basketball. I tried to watch it a few times and get into it, but it’s really boring. I’d rather watch Blossom reruns.

Win the SEC regular season and it will be okay to sit out the tournament

No it wasn’t! TBA was designed and funded for in the early 1980s because Din Devoe had the program winning & competing for SEC championships and Tennessee wanted to keep him. The building was 2 years behind schedule (was originally planned to open 1985, but didn’t until 1987 due to construction issues).

At the time, Rupp and other on campus facilities hosted Final Fours and Tennessee elected to go to 25k with that in mind. Of course the FF blew up and by 90s they were in domes seating 50-60k.

They were looking at options while Mears was still the head ball coach. Devoe’s fast start quickly pushed it forward. I remember seeing an early model of TBA at the new A & A Building in the very early 1980s.

The Lady Vols weren’t too many years removed from playing in front of tens of fans when the plans for a huge arena started to get traction.

I get that a lot of people really like lady vols basketball. I tried to watch it a few times and get into it, but it’s really boring. I’d rather watch Blossom reruns.

I watch sometimes. When Pat was here they were more fundamentally sound than the men’s program. Before Barnes they were also the more disciplined of the two programs. Their emphasis on academics is something that I’m proud of as an alum. There will never be another Pat Summitt. Tennessee and women’s sports were blessed to have had her. Having said all that, they don’t carry the athletic department. Financially they’ve maybe made it close to break even. The TV contracts through the SEC aren’t itemized by sport. They benefit from the men’s side.

I watch sometimes. When Pat was here they were more fundamentally sound than the men’s program. Before Barnes they were also the more disciplined of the two programs. Their emphasis on academics is something that I’m proud of as an alum. There will never be another Pat Summitt. Tennessee and women’s sports were blessed to have had her. Having said all that, they don’t carry the athletic department. Financially they’ve maybe made it close to break even. The TV contracts through the SEC aren’t itemized by sport. They benefit from the men’s side.

I like that we have a women’s team. Definitely good for the university and of course I’m proud of Pat Summit. I just cannot get into women’s basketball.

They were looking at options while Mears was still the head ball coach. Devoe’s fast start quickly pushed it forward. I remember seeing an early model of TBA at the new A & A Building in the very early 1980s.

The Lady Vols weren’t too many years removed from playing in front of tens of fans when the plans for a huge arena started to get traction.

Yes, Mears even floated the idea of putting a bubble over the south end zone of Neyland and play there ( similar to Carrier Dome today at Syracuse).

I like that we have a women’s team. Definitely good for the university and of course I’m proud of Pat Summit. I just cannot get into women’s basketball.

I just don’t look at it as anything like the men’s game. Less athleticism. More strategy. Same with softball versus baseball. It is more fun to watch when they are competing at a higher level though. Those 1990s matchups with UConn, Stanford, and Texas were epic.

NCAA Selection Committee said it doesn't count so let's save our players and forfeit our first game next year as a mockery to the Committee.

I remember one year a 12-4 Alabama team got left out for a 7-9 SEC team because of OOC schedules. Why don't we take it a step further and not even play Conference games since they are all about what you did in November and December?
So how do you propose we decline to play? Move on.

I do believe that our win didn’t matter for our seeding, however, I think that was just because it was us. I believe that if Kentucky had won, it would have affected their seeding.

Hell, if Ky beat Tennessee, they’d be a 1 even if aTm beat them. Lunardi said so Sat

I hope the day comes when they have a arena full of banners for both. Change them out every game. Somebody can make a living at it at UT

VN Store

Back