Let’s Talk Defensive Line

Agree theoretically. Last year’s DL was very bad, but at lest they had some guys with some experience. We’re screwed this year unless we have 3-4 guys just come out of nowhere and play at a very high level.
If last year was very bad, then wouldn't 3-4 guys playing average ish be an improvement?

Perhaps Middleton could be a Albert Haynesworth/John Henderson type player during his career at UT.

If last year was very bad, then wouldn't 3-4 guys playing average ish be an improvement?

The problem last year on the DL wasn't that "our players were horrible". Our starting DLs were actually reasonably good. Rather, we had zero depth, so they were completely worn out by the time we were deep in the 2nd half. See that South Carolina game where we played great on D early, but then SC just decided to run the ball at us nearly every single play till the front 7 wore out.

Depth on DL is almost certainly going to be an issue this year, particularly if Solomon isn't eligible.

The counter-balance here is that our secondary should be very good and our LBs hopefully improve, as well, which may help take some pressure off the DL. LB play will be very key, though, as we need a lot of guys to step up there.

If our ask of the NTs in the 3-4 is to tie up people from getting to backers, and disrupting where OLs want to go, that is not a hard concept for a DL to grasp nor execute. Throw youngsters in that spot in waves if necessary, even if that's not where their ultimate position is going to be. The edge, we have to have more savvy players out there.

Reactions: lexkyvol
You can develop big men. Coupled with a strong back end, they should be able to load the box and force throws. Emerson, Gooden, Williams, Middleton, Solomon, are solid and serviceable. Garland, Harris, and Butler are the keys to having enough depth to win 7-9 games. Something tells me JP’s defense will only be better in year 2.

Reactions: lexkyvol
NG- space eater that requires a double team
DEs- traditional DT roles
OLBs- contain the outside on run plays, pressure QB on pass plays
ILBs- own the middle of the field. Run stoppers and can cover RBs, TEs.

That is what our front 7 are expected to do. The better they preform those roles the less likely we are to stay from that base with help. The only game I expect to see help on every 1st and 2nd down is UGA. I wouldnt be surprised to see a bunch of 5/4 fronts to force them to pass.

Though our LB corp is young, it is talented and fast. I think we'll be better at stopping the run. Meaning we'll be good at stopping designed run plays. Especially on typical run downs. It's the QB scrambling for first downs that might really hurt us. Our linemen are big enough to hold their ground, and allow the talented backers to run everything down. Solomon getting eligible will be huge. He is a guy that can push the line of scrimmage backwards, with his size and athletic ability. His height will bother QB's and disrupt passing lanes. Is Solomon a Nose Tackle, or does he line up over the guard/tackle gap? Getting pressure on SEC QB's is going to be very important. We can't just rely on Taylor. He'll be double teamed and chipped all season long. I have confidence in our corners and safeties, to cover. But, I am a bit worried about LB's covering RB's and TE's. Also, getting matched up with guys they can't cover, even on a good day. Will our LB's be savvy enough not to get baited into missed coverages?

48Ja'Quain BlakelyDL R-Jr. 6-2 283 (has shown flashes, but hasn’t arrived yet)
50Savion WilliamsDL Fr. 6-4 315 (like him, just needs reps against SEC caliber players)
51Elijah SimmonsDL Fr. 6-2 344 (will contribute big when he gets in shape and learns system)
53Dawson StephensDL R-Jr. 6-1 292 (?)
54Kingston HarrisDL R-Fr. 6-3 312 (shuffling between OL & DL. Hopefully D)
79Kurott GarlandDL R-Fr. 6-3 303 (Under the radar...He’ll be a good player)
88LaTrell BumphusDL Jr. 6-3 264 (Not sure he’s found a home yet..)
90Greg EmersonDL R-Fr. 6-3 310 (Looking forward to him being healthy)
93Emmit GoodenDL Sr. 6-3 302 (All-SEC caliber)
94Matthew ButlerDL Jr. 6-4 285 (Coaches feel he is most improved)
96Airin SpellDL R-Fr. 6-1 284 (?)
97Darel MiddletonDL Jr. 6-7 290 (Does he have the intensity and drive?)
98Aubrey SolomonDL Jr. 6-5 306 (Will he be eligible? We need him....!)
99John MinceyDL So. 6-3 280 (Great talent & upside - over 100 tackles his Sr. yr.)

Last edited:
Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
The biggest problem with dline last year was the lack of depth. Most games our dline started pretty good but was worn down by the second half. Another problem was the lack of linebacker play. The linebackers couldn’t help in run plays. Hopefully, the lb’s will be better and it appears they will have more depth with an extra year of practice for the 3/4. The guys last year came and played the 4/3 their entire career until their last one.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Looking at our roster do you guys think we are in as much trouble as everyone is acting like? If we count scholarship guys that are already eligible I see 7 defensive tackles (just used everyone 290 and above).

Savion, Simmons, Garland, Harris, Emerson, Gooden, Middleton

That’s deeper than last year IMO. Then you have guys like Taylor that can come down to end in passing downs....

48Ja'Quain BlakelyDL R-Jr. 6-2 283
50Savion WilliamsDL Fr. 6-4 315
51Elijah SimmonsDL Fr. 6-2 344
53Dawson StephensDL R-Jr. 6-1 292
54Kingston HarrisDL R-Fr. 6-3 312
79Kurott GarlandDL R-Fr. 6-3 303
88LaTrell BumphusDL Jr. 6-3 264
90Greg EmersonDL R-Fr. 6-3 310
93Emmit GoodenDL Sr. 6-3 302
94Matthew ButlerDL Jr. 6-4 285
96Airin SpellDL R-Fr. 6-1 284
97Darel MiddletonDL Jr. 6-7 290
98Aubrey SolomonDL Jr. 6-5 306
99John MinceyDL So. 6-3 280
Savion is a JUCO so not a freshman.

Do y’all think if the secondary and linebackers are that much improved, plus second year in the defensive scheme, that we’ll see more blitz packages? If so, this could definitely help the D-Line out.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Do y’all think if the secondary and linebackers are that much improved, plus second year in the defensive scheme, that we’ll see more blitz packages? If so, this could definitely help the D-Line out.
They’ll have to. Actually the D line has more size than it’s had in a while. Lots of 300 of bodies. The lack of experience is the concern. If Solomon in eligible you could have a very good 2 deep rotation.
Williams, Gooden and Butler has great potential.

Those guys were mediocre at best. I think from a size and strength standpoint, Frazier and Middleton should make an impact early. JUCOs are not typically brought in to stay on the sidelines. I hope Emerson lives up to his star ranking and Solomon is cleared to play this year.
"JUCOs are not typically brought in to stay on the sidelines" doesn't make them any better, just that they are forced to play. I can't remember the last JUCO lineman that was good in year 1 here. Some have been decent their final year. That's about it.

We won’t match up aginst AL & GA. WE JUST we just don’t have the quality depth needed. We do match aginst the others in the east. SCjr and MisU will be a toss up.

The problem last year on the DL wasn't that "our players were horrible". Our starting DLs were actually reasonably good. Rather, we had zero depth, so they were completely worn out by the time we were deep in the 2nd half. See that South Carolina game where we played great on D early, but then SC just decided to run the ball at us nearly every single play till the front 7 wore out.

Depth on DL is almost certainly going to be an issue this year, particularly if Solomon isn't eligible.

The counter-balance here is that our secondary should be very good and our LBs hopefully improve, as well, which may help take some pressure off the DL. LB play will be very key, though, as we need a lot of guys to step up there.
Totally agree that depth has been a real issue the last several years and I still believe is the reason we lost to Oklahoma.

VN Store

Back