Let’s talk about it

They got an offensive guy. Will we score 42 per game next season?? Nah. But we will damn sure score more than 17 ppg.

I don't think you keep Steele. Many times, his defense "effed" Malzahn. They were good, but many times they would give up crucial downs.

Remember UCF with Heupel as OC drug Steeles Auburn defense in the Orange Bowl of 2017 season.

REGARDLESS of all that. Heupel needs to bring in a guy that is loyal to HIS vision.

Good offense not great, opportunistic defense and sound special teams can win us a lot of close games.

Heupel recently has been shown to be on the losing side of close games. The other side of that coin is that he was IN CLOSE games.
Not getting blown out by an average of 24 points to your main rivals.

We should be a good team next year. The game is geared for offense. We just brought in one of the best. And our defense had the ability to get stops if JARRETT GAURANTANO could just play QB.

There is still a considerable amount of talent on the team, thanks to Pruitt, Tee and others.
pretty much agree w/ everything here. JH may be underwhelming, but can't argue w/ his Offense. He could be really good or could be another 3 year turn.

I am willing to give the new "management" a chance - Boyd and Plowman didn't exactly handle the investigation and firing Pruitt perfectly but, they did something. AD White appears to know what he's doing, he has been successful at his previous two stops building really good athletic programs and facilities at Buffalo and UCF.

In our situation we do not need a complete program overhaul: men's and women's basketball are doing great, baseball is moving up, softball is in a great position, swimming and diving are on an upward trajectory, etc. It's the football program that has to be rebuilt and I think that White and CJH can breath some life into the team and VOLNATION with an exciting offense . . . remember the old saying, "Offense fills seats and defense wins championships." We now have a coach that brings an exciting offense that puts points on the board! Now to get great coaches for the defense and we're in business to begin the rebuild.

Let's come together, give the new AD and CJH a chance and support the team!!

GBO - beat Ole Miss!!

I'll give him a shot. I don't feel the university did enough to get a big name. At the end of the day, money talks and there are better options. At least they should have a good offense. Sadly tho, I don't care as much any more. Then not getting a good coach doesn't bother me any more.

Same. I haven’t really been excited about a hire since Kiffin. Dooley was rushed, thought for sure we’d land a big fish then we settled for Jones. After Jones I thought we’d learn a lesson and get a big name and I actually was happy with Pruitt initially. Proven DC coming from a successful program. Flopped. Didn’t expect much with this hire. I’ll give JH a chance. I feel like he needs to hire a good DC and a great recruiter though.

I understand why we didn't land the white whale. However, I think it's criminal that we didn't offer Jamey Chadwell who has more HC experience and an upward trajectory. I hope Heupel works out and I think there's a path to success for him but the downward trajectory of his record concerns me. Only time will tell if he can adapt to Big Boy football and if DW can adapt to Big Boy athletics. This ain't UCF.

It's like Pruitt treated the players great but was unable to do the same for adults

He just didn't like the public relations part of being a HC. In fact very few HC's like that aspect of being a HC at a major school while others seize the moment and take advantage of it. Pruitt just couldn't make that adjustment. Add it up........at least 2 weekly PC's, a Sunday talk show, a weekly show.(Calhoun's) and this year throw in Covid issues and it was more than he bargained for. Bottom line.......wasn't cut-out to be a HC.

Volnation, naysayers and orange koolaid alike- what are your thoughts on the new
regime?

I’m connected and didn’t see this coming - my thoughts are AD hire was a homerun ... coach- we shall see - I think Steele should stay as DC... but if nothing else (which shouldn’t be acceptable here) I believe we will score some points and be an exciting team to watch.

Trying to keep the HOPE that the vols can get a natty again before I die ... is this a step forward or not? I say yes and I was a Pruitt guy. What’s yalls thoughts?
Give him a shot and let’s see what happens. I like his offensive numbers and record as a HC as well as him being competitive or blowing out someone in every game. I have concerns and a wait and see attitude on his recruiting and assistants

Reactions: RockiesTop22
UCF got worse every year with JH at the helm: that says everything we need to know. We just hired an AD for outrageous money just for him to hire his buddy where he came from.
At least you're consistent. What's the hook? Fulmer guy? Not enough ROI on your donations? Got bammer inlaws?

I am not sure we could have done better with our current situation. It is one thing to hire a coach like Freeze after you come out of probation. To do so before the NCAA finishes with us could have tossed gas on fire. I do honestly believe it will be exciting watching our Offense play. I haven't been able to say that for a long time. We must land an elite DC. I am getting old. But, I am willing to wait and see how things go before I lose my mind about this hire. I wish there were more posts from the team. I would love to hear more about how they feel. I have noticed the massive portal entries have stopped. I would love to see more of them come back. GO VOLS

I believe UT got major upgrades where it counts. In the chancellor's office and at AD. Good leadership at the top will set the standard and the culture to where it needs to be. Up tempo offense will be exciting and entertaining. Build off that.

VN Store

Back