Lesson From The 2019 Titans On Jarrett Guantanamo

howie87

Last year, the Tennessee Titans through the first 6 games of the season couldn't block, run, pass, or do literally anything else on offense... The Titans couldn't even run the ball consistently to start the year last year with Derrick Henry!!! That is until they replaced their trash QB... Mariota came out blazing against the Browns in the first game of the year last year throwing 3 TDs with no picks... But over his last 5 (FIVE!) games in a Titans uniform as a starting QB, Mariota threw 4 TDs and 2 INTs in 5 (FIVE!) games... Everyone just assumed "Well, the Titans were even less average than we thought they were..." But Vrabel decided to bench Mariota for good, and then everyone realized "Oh, Mariota is literally just a trash QB..." His QB rating was 92.3 on the season, and he had his defenders saying "The coaching staff isn't developing him properly, and the team around him isn't that good..." But it was literally ALL on him...

Same is true with Guantanamo... He is literal trash... And HE makes the entire team look worse... This is not a case of "Well, the team is actually worse than we all thought it was..." No, that's not true at all... The offensive line is literally as good as we think it is... Eric Gray is as good as we think he is... Josh Palmer is as good as we think he is... JG holds them ALL back...

This Vols team is a nice sports car with a high mileage, low compression, leaky engine under the hood... Replace that bad engine, and you'll have something nice... Until then, we're going to continue to get throttled by teams like Kentucky...

Last year, the Tennessee Titans through the first 6 games of the season couldn't block, run, pass, or do literally anything else on offense... The Titans couldn't even run the ball consistently to start the year last year with Derrick Henry!!! That is until they replaced their trash QB... Mariota came out blazing against the Browns in the first game of the year last year throwing 3 TDs with no picks... But over his last 5 (FIVE!) games in a Titans uniform as a starting QB, Mariota threw 4 TDs and 2 INTs in 5 (FIVE!) games... Everyone just assumed "Well, the Titans were even less average than we thought they were..." But Vrabel decided to bench Mariota for good, and then everyone realized "Oh, Mariota is literally just a trash QB..." His QB rating was 92.3 on the season, and he had his defenders saying "The coaching staff isn't developing him properly, and the team around him isn't that good..." But it was literally ALL on him...

Same is true with Guantanamo... He is literal trash... And HE makes the entire team look worse... This is not a case of "Well, the team is actually worse than we all thought it was..." No, that's not true at all... The offensive line is literally as good as we think it is... Eric Gray is as good as we think he is... Josh Palmer is as good as we think he is... JG holds them ALL back...

This Vols team is a nice sports car with a high mileage, low compression, leaky engine under the hood... Replace that bad engine, and you'll have something nice... Until then, we're going to continue to get throttled by teams like Kentucky...
I made a similar Mariota analogy in the off-season! The exact same situation, only Marcus was a little better. Still, same kind of inconsistency with no further upside. Doubt there is necessarily a Tannehill, but I have seriously believed that Maurer, Shrout or Bailey, have been the way to go for a while, because A, the future and B, I dont think either one of them has the ability to completely implode like JG can. Certainly not all three.

Reactions: howie87
Mariota was at least decent in college

He put up great numbers in a goofy offense in a conference that plays no defense ever... But I will agree with you, he was pretty decent... I'm sure JG was decent in High School... But it's been passed time for him to put up or shut up for a while now...

He put up great numbers in a goofy offense in a conference that plays no defense ever... But I will agree with you, he was pretty decent... I'm sure JG was decent in High School... But it's been passed time for him to put up or shut up for a while now...

I would take that goofy offense in a heartbeat over the garbage on display in Knoxville the past 3 seasons.

Pretty sure that offense dropped 59 on the Vols with Mariota at the helm last time we got to see it up close.

Reactions: Tnphil
It was like the team knew when they got down 17-0 yesterday the game was over and couldn't overcome it. It was like the air came out of the balloon.

7 points against KY???!!! Never thought I'd see the day.

I don’t think the Vols have a Tannehill waiting in the wings

Lmao, you mean a washed up QB who was considered mostly a bust as a 1st rnd pick??? Because no one knew what Tannehill and the Titans could do until they sat Mariota... He was expected to be a backup, nothing more... The Dolphins PAID the Titans $5M to take him...

Reactions: 84Volfan

Not going to call one of our players “trash”. JG does what he can and is a good man.

But, your post is absolutely right in highlighting the importance of the QB position. On offense, every play call and every play goes through the QB.

There is no parallel on the defensive side of the ball, so maybe a DC has a hard time accepting this. But facts are facts and it is past time for the staff to get their act together and make at least some modest improvement at this position.

Reactions: ProudVOLfan
Not going to call one of our players “trash”. JG does what he can and is a good man.

But, your post is absolutely right in highlighting the importance of the QB position. On offense, every play call and every play goes through the QB.

There is no parallel on the defensive side of the ball, so maybe a DC has a hard time accepting this. But facts are facts and it is past time for the staff to get their act together and make at least some modest improvement at this position.

I have no problem calling a grown man who has received a free education at a top state university on my dollar "trash" when he throws 2 TDs to the other team in 2 minutes... It's what he is... It's the reason I refer to him as "Guantanamo", because watching him is like being water boarded...

Lmao, you mean a washed up QB who was considered mostly a bust as a 1st rnd pick??? Because no one knew what Tannehill and the Titans could do until they sat Mariota... He was expected to be a backup, nothing more... The Dolphins PAID the Titans $5M to take him...
It was a known fact that Tannehill had outperformed Mariota in camp and at practice..... and he was experienced. You can’t say this about any of the other QBs on the roster.....

It was a known fact that Tannehill had outperformed Mariota in camp and at practice..... and he was experienced. You can’t say this about any of the other QBs on the roster.....

That's actually why I think JG gets so many opportunities... I don't think it's because the underclassmen are worse, I think JG is one of those guys that probably kills it in practice, and then just for whatever reason wets the bed during the game... To me it makes the most sense...

That's actually why I think JG gets so many opportunities... I don't think it's because the underclassmen are worse, I think JG is one of those guys that probably kills it in practice, and then just for whatever reason wets the bed during the game... To me it makes the most sense...
Has to be....

I have no problem calling a grown man who has received a free education at a top state university on my dollar "trash" when he throws 2 TDs to the other team in 2 minutes... It's what he is... It's the reason I refer to him as "Guantanamo", because watching him is like being water boarded...
Well, that's your issue to deal with but to call a human trash because he lacks talent is silly. I am not a JG fan as anyone on here knows but I wouldn't call him trash or say he got a free education, especially after the beating he has taken over the years. It is a free country so you do you and we will just watch

First off we should not be trashing JG, me included, he can only play at his god given talent level and he does try the best he can but it just is not SEC quality and he should have been replaced years ago. The issue we all should have is Pruitt, this is his baby and he created it and he is responsible for the results.

Anyone could see we needed a QB 3 years ago, and he has done very little to get the right QB to Knoxville. Bailey is a very talented kid and could very well be a super star in the future, but you have to invest in him and get him ready, but he may have to have to get his training under fire, which is really the best way but you have to give him some slack, he is going to make some mistakes but it is how he progresses that will tell if he can lead the Vols.

Sadly.....this is correct.

The problem is we haven’t developed our other qbs either. JG has had virtually no competition since he’s been here, because the coaches hardly let there be a competition. It’s more understandable this year... just because we didn’t have a lot of time so we pretty much had to get our starter work with the 1s. Lack of development on the other qbs is gonna make this a rough season if we switch, but I entirely hope we do still. Get Bailey some good experience this year, and hopefully, he’ll improve with each game.

First off we should not be trashing JG, me included, he can only play at his god given talent level and he does try the best he can but it just is not SEC quality and he should have been replaced years ago. The issue we all should have is Pruitt, this is his baby and he created it and he is responsible for the results.

Anyone could see we needed a QB 3 years ago, and he has done very little to get the right QB to Knoxville. Bailey is a very talented kid and could very well be a super star in the future, but you have to invest in him and get him ready, but he may have to have to get his training under fire, which is really the best way but you have to give him some slack, he is going to make some mistakes but it is how he progresses that will tell if he can lead the Vols.

I agree with you that if Pruitt starts JG for another game, this debacle is 100% on him and he should be dealt with accordingly...

VN Store

Back