Les Schwab Invitational

milohimself

RIP CITY
More sporting news from the state of Oregon. Sorry because most of you probably won't get the same shock that this gave me, but Oregon High Schools as a whole are shaping up to be one of the most dominant basketball forces in the whole country. In the tournament in my town, the Les Schwab Invitational, three of the top-ranked teams in the country are invited to play against Oregon's local teams. They include these national teams:

Oak Hill Academy from Mouth Of Wilson, Virginia
Generally considered to be a perenial high school powerhouse in basketball. They have produced 19 NBA players (19 from a single high school) including Carmello Anthony. They were to be one of the very best teams in all of the eastern United States.

Montrose Christian Academy from Rockville, Maryland
Currently the ninth ranked team in the country, is about all I know.

Fairfax High School of Los Angeles, California
Defending state champions of California, highly ranked nationally and has probably the single most promising group of D-IA basketball in the whole country, with seven players likely to make D-IA schools. Some schools interested are Duke, Illinois, UConn, Georgia Tech, North Carolina and Arizona.

Tournament results thus far

The first thing that jumps out is Westview's first-round defeat of Fairfax High School. Westview is not even the top team in their own conference, the Metro League (which Erik Ainge's and my own Glencoe Crimson Tide are a part of), with Jesuit, Hillsboro and Beaverton all slated to finish ahead of them. Basically, some unranked Oregon team defeated the reigning California state champs, which I find pretty amazing.

Next is Jefferson's handy defeat of Montrose Christian Academy. From what I understood from people who witnessed the game tonight, the entire game was never Montrose's to win. I hope to be in attendance tomorrow to see if the might Oak Hill Academy falls to Jefferson High School of Portland.

I just found this all interesting... And it makes me wish that Oregon wasn't as underrated for sports prospects as it is. I think that it is an undiscovered gold mine of athletes.

Posts like this are what makes this site for me. You can get statistical data at a lot of sources, (we're lucky to have allvol), but opinion insights from different parts of the country you normally wouldnt hear from anywhere else is great. Cool post milo.

Thanks for the commnt, dan4vols.

I'm just still kind of shocked that a generally just decent team from my league sent the reigning champions of the state of California to the consolation brackets.

Like I said, I hope this will bring more recruiting attention to Oregon. We have a lot to offer that never seems to get put to good use... We've got just one notable football player in the whole state this year in four-star d-tackle Ndamukong Suh from Grant High School. I'd like to see that changed.

Oak Hill Academy ended up slipping by Jefferson High School 63-58... I know that's a five-point difference, but it was a one-point game until about 30 seconds left.

The final game tomorrow night will be Hillsboro vs. Oak Hill. I imagine Oak Hill will win fairly easily.

Oak Hill wins a lot of games, don't feel bad. I'm just glad they're not in our local B-ball tournaments in the Arby's Classic.

VN Store

Back