2 Jabari Small Jr. RB 5' 11" 213 2L Memphis, Tenn.Briarcrest Christian
20 Jaylen Wright So. RB 5' 11" 200 1L Durham, N.C.Southern
24 Dylan Sampson Fr. RB 5' 11" 190 HS Baton Rouge, La.Dutchtown
26 Justin Williams-Thomas Fr. RB 6' 0" 210 HS Dallas, Ga.East Paulding
27 Len'Neth Whitehead R-So. RB 6' 2" 220 1L Athens, Ga.Athens Academy -OUT
35 Patrick Wilk R-Fr. RB 5' 11" 200 1L Nashville, Tenn.Montgomery Bell Academy
42 Hunter Barnes Fr. RB 6' 0" 190 HS Memphis, Tenn.Memphis School

2022 Football Roster - University of Tennessee Athletics

Ya I’m sure you want Wilk and Barnes playing.

We only have 4 SCHOLARSHIP RBs on the roster without Leneth. I thought it was obvious what I meant.

Guess the need for a portal addition just went up. Hate for this guy,seems to be one of those athletically gifted guys that is wound to tight.

This makes me 0-2 from that class in projecting lower ranked guys working out due to raw physical contruction.... He and Beckwith were my picks that year....
No more picks for you.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
If they can play THIS season... what are they waiting for? There has to be some sort of deadline. These guys need practice.

Pretty thin?
4 backs is the minimum imo.
That's where we're at scholarship wise, but we did recruit some PWOs that had FBS offers. So we're not deep. But we're not in huge danger either. Those two freshman were going to need to play despite Whitehead or Beckwith had he stayed.
I'm with Tman44. I'm counting six RBs even not including Len'Neth.

That's it, I'm going to either convince C-Rod to transfer here or kidnap Henry Parrish from Miami to at the UT.

If you watch last years Missouri game Whitehead really stood out with his runs and pass protection. He will be missed. Was counting on him to be a good short yardage back that the team needs so badly.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Not exactly correct. Here is what we currently have:

2 Jabari Small Jr. RB 5' 11" 213 2L Memphis, Tenn.Briarcrest Christian
20 Jaylen Wright So. RB 5' 11" 200 1L Durham, N.C.Southern
24 Dylan Sampson Fr. RB 5' 11" 190 HS Baton Rouge, La.Dutchtown
26 Justin Williams-Thomas Fr. RB 6' 0" 210 HS Dallas, Ga.East Paulding
27 Len'Neth Whitehead R-So. RB 6' 2" 220 1L Athens, Ga.Athens Academy -OUT
35 Patrick Wilk R-Fr. RB 5' 11" 200 1L Nashville, Tenn.Montgomery Bell Academy
42 Hunter Barnes Fr. RB 6' 0" 190 HS Memphis, Tenn.Memphis School

2022 Football Roster - University of Tennessee Athletics

4 Freshmen and 2 Sophomores in 7 Deep RB room

Hope those young'uns are ready to Bring the Pain !!

Nothing against locals and walk-ons. They are an integral part of the team at practice, but… Scout team and practice fodder does not count as viable options. We have 4 healthy RBs.

If you watch last years Missouri game Whitehead really stood out with his runs and pass protection. He will be missed. Was counting on him to be a good short yardage back that the team needs so badly.
That was some defense that Mizzou had last year. They couldn't stop the run or pass.

Reactions: Otis1105
So you have seen 3 and 4 play college ball.. a very keen observation. Did you observe this when they were sophomores in HS?

I also observed Whitehead in mop up duty. Nowhere near the speed and explosiveness of any of those 4.

On the other hand....Last year we had Banks, Beasley, and Solon Page at ILB.......

Whitehead was an incredible ILB as a prep in GA. I'm willing to bet at some point he's been given the choice to compete for a starting spot on defense or be 4th team runningback.

Last edited:
Big loss. Heup should’ve been hitting the portal harder this off season like Lane did
He's been after many backs since the spring!! They went elsewhere. We still have 4 scholarship backs and 4 other PWOs.

Yet he still ran the ball 32 times. To say he didn't run it enough still doesn't answer my question why he should have switched to lb.
He’s slow. IDK if he would have made a good to great Lb and play at the next level but it appears he will not get to the next level playing Rb and at this point in his college career and has barely contributed anything to the Vols.

He's been after many backs since the spring!! They went elsewhere. We still have 4 scholarship backs and 4 other PWOs.

I’m not sure why people keep acting like this is a good thing.

1) 4 scholarship backs is a lot different with the context that 2 of the 4 are true freshmen and one of those two weren’t even here for spring. Pass blocking for a RB in this offense is crucial. Learning it at this tempo is very difficult. So you have two currently competent scholarship RBs. The two freshman will have to learn at light speed.

2) This will be taken as harsh. But PWO RBs in the SEC almost never contribute.

VN Store

Back