Length of college basketball games

cbrown

I really think the powers-that-be need to do something about the length of college basketball games. I'm sitting here watching Texas-Oklahoma waiting for the TN-USC game. Over five minutes of the game have elapsed before the first game is over, and it was not an overtime game. I understand that some games are going to run long, but this is becomming entirely too commonplace. I think it would be good for the game if the overall number of timeouts was reduced and timeouts under 2:00 limited to one per team. I love college basketball, but the last 2:00 of a game shouldn't take 20:00. When I want to watch a basketball game I'd like to watch 40:00 as opposed to <35:00.

The biggest problem is all the media timeouts....I believe there are four of those per half.

I guess nothing can be done about those. Perhaps building in more time in between games would help.

Not entirely true. Media timeouts are always present for radio/newspaper writers and what not. Radio guys have to have those to ensure they can run their commercials.

ESPN/CBS timeouts are longer than local radio timeouts.

Go to a mid-major game not on TV. There is a difference in game length.

Texas/Oklahoma was extended a lot by all the guys fouling out....3 I think. Teams were in the Bonus very early on in the 2nd half.

take a look at this game the first half flew by b/c there wasent a lot of fouls called and the game kept rolling... what can you do besides put a little more time between games

if you limit the number of timeouts you can call under 2 minutes then coaches would call them earlier and the game would still last as long...

if you limit the number of timeouts you can call under 2 minutes then coaches would call them earlier and the game would still last as long...

That's why I suggested reducing the overall number. What do they get now, 5? Give them 3.

What are you going to do? Keep running the clock when the ball goes out of bounds?

It didn't help that Texas called a timeout with 9 seconds left.

What's the difference in media timeout length for ESPN games versus non-televised games? I didn't think it was very much.

A 40 minute game takes two hours. when your team is winning, it doesnt seem that long. If you buy a expenseive ticket for an hour 20 minutes of entertainment. it is staged to be an event.

What are you going to do? Keep running the clock when the ball goes out of bounds?

What's the difference in media timeout length for ESPN games versus non-televised games? I didn't think it was very much.

I don't think there is any difference in length TV or not.

Listen the deal is that ESPN (especially) doesn't schedule enough time in between games. This is twice in a week that we have had to miss the first 5 minutes of a game. It's ridiculous when the other game is a blowout and you have to sit there and watch it. I don't blame the NCAA or the number of time outs or whatever...it is what it is...It's more of the networks trying to get as much basketball in as they can and get the maximum advertising revenue and not have to waste filler time on the air. This of course is my humble opinion.

I'm curious what the broadcast contracts say about staying with a game when it runs past the start time of a subsequent game? Are they required to stay until the end? Do they have discretion to flip over if the one team is X points ahead?

I gather networks are fairly restricted when it comes to doing that with NFL broadcasts. I can think of no other reason why they stick with blowout games while other games are close.

I guess nothing can be done about those. Perhaps building in more time in between games would help.

I agree with this,they do the same for football all the time too,15 more minutes in between games would help a lot

ESPN/CBS timeouts are longer than local radio timeouts.

Go to a mid-major game not on TV. There is a difference in game length.

I've never timed it, so there may be a difference. But if there is, it's got to be minimal. I go to a lot of Atlantic Sun conference games and they seem to run the exact same length of time as televised major conference games.

Last edited:
Listen the deal is that ESPN (especially) doesn't schedule enough time in between games. This is twice in a week that we have had to miss the first 5 minutes of a game. It's ridiculous when the other game is a blowout and you have to sit there and watch it. I don't blame the NCAA or the number of time outs or whatever...it is what it is...It's more of the networks trying to get as much basketball in as they can and get the maximum advertising revenue and not have to waste filler time on the air. This of course is my humble opinion.

Exactly. If they schedule more time in between games, it never would have happened. I don't see anything wrong with the actual length of the games.

I do not understand why, High School ball, where 99% of college players come from and Pro Ball where 99% of college players would like to go, all play four quarters. Why do the colleges insist on playing two halves? Anyone with the answer? You could cut down on the timeouts playing four quarters.

VN Store

Back