Legitimate season

Cmacsmokey

Will any of y’all consider this to be a legitimate season? with everything that has happened with the pandemic. Will the history books look back and say this season was more or less a write off assuming we finish the season. I’m having a hard time myself getting excited like I usually am this close to football season me and my dad were going to Norman for the OU and now it’s been canceled. It’s going to be so weird too with no fans in Neyland or the band playing Rocky Top the pageantry and loud fans are such a huge part of college football as we all know.

Last edited:
Actually yes I do. I think its more of a legitimate season than padding your win column with two cupcakes every year. A 10 game all conference schedule seems very legit to me. I still think there's no shot in hell of them finishing the season, but I like the idea of an all SEC season.

Will any of y’all consider this to be a legitimate season? with everything that has happened with the pandemic. Will the history books look back and say this season was more or less a write off assuming we finish the season. I’m having a hard time myself getting excited like I usually am this close to football season.

I am actually more excited - for many reasons. I even like the no cup-cakes, all SEC schedule... Because in the SEC, it just means more...

It is still the SEC. In fact, this years SEC champ may be the most legit of them all as they are going to have to beat even more SEC teams.
If, by some miracle, we're able to get the full slate played, it will be the most legendary SEC season ever. Only SEC games...haven't seen the matchups, but everyone's going to have a tough slate.

Will any of y’all consider this to be a legitimate season? with everything that has happened with the pandemic. Will the history books look back and say this season was more or less a write off assuming we finish the season. I’m having a hard time myself getting excited like I usually am this close to football season me and my dad were going to Norman for the OU and now it’s been canceled. It’s going to be so weird too with no fans in Neyland or the band playing Rocky Top the pageantry and loud fans are such a huge part of college football as we all know.

Mainly depends on COVID. IF all games are played and IF the teams aren't adversely affected by multiple players (or even with some of the best players) being out with the virus it'll be legitimate. Otherwise, no.

Any season where you have to play Alabama, the defending national champion (LSU), the most talented team physically (UGA), and a team with 3 nattys in the past 25 years (UF) is a legitimate season. If you survive that gauntlet, to win a national title, you will likely have to beat Alabama again, and play some combination of Clemson, Ohio State, and Oklahoma. Yeah, seems pretty legitimate to me...

Depends on how we do this season lol.
Kidding I’m still excited for it but I’m afraid there will be many setbacks during the season

We'll just have to see how history treats it. I think it will always be "that season," similar to the seasons during WW2. I think one season was even cancelled. We are already seeing it in pro baseball and basketball. They are playing but it's not the same. I think college football will be like that too. We'll see what happens with the NFL.

I think this may open the door for a better college football. In conference games only, finish with a conference championship, expand the CFP to 8 teams, take your power 5 winners and then 3 at large bids based on national standings.

Depends if we win.

The question is what will they do with post season. Will there be bowls (kinda hard if conferences don’t allow play ooc now).
Bowls without fans (defeats the purpose of the bowl games).
With no common opponents, who are the top 4 teams (purely subjective at that point).

Yeah it’s different than normal but also exciting

Reactions: PA Vol
If our SEC opponents aren’t considered legitimate, then who is?

I think the season might crumble if we see massive Covid-19 + outbreaks within a bunch of teams but assuming that doesn’t happen, I think the season will be an excellent gauge of where we are and how much more we need to improve.

Reactions: USF grad in TN
Anyone honestly (without looking through blindly optimistic lenses) think that the season will go through, stem to stern, without delay or totally being nixed? I just can’t. Public schools where I live will go full distance learning if just ONE student tests positive. And you know that will happen. I know I’ll get roasted by veteran posting police, because I’m sure there are other threads discussing this subject. My two cents, with no sense to give.

Reactions: Smellvin
Actually yes I do. I think its more of a legitimate season than padding your win column with two cupcakes every year. A 10 game all conference schedule seems very legit to me. I still think there's no shot in hell of them finishing the season, but I like the idea of an all SEC season.
I get that, but the reason were doing it takes some of the umph out for me, not to mention missing out on the Oklahoma game.

I'm not complaining and I'm not saying it doesn't seem legitimate, but if I had a choice, I'd play the schedule we had.

Anyone honestly (without looking through blindly optimistic lenses) think that the season will go through, stem to stern, without delay or totally being nixed? I just can’t. Public schools where I live will go full distance learning if just ONE student tests positive. And you know that will happen. I know I’ll get roasted by veteran posting police, because I’m sure there are other threads discussing this subject. My two cents, with no sense to give.

Yep. They are trying to manage an unmanageable situation.

Reactions: Purple Tiger
If it actually happens it will be the most legitimate season ever played in NCAA.

Look back at the history of Vol football. It wasn't that long ago that the season was much shorter.

It is legit. Hopefully sanity will return and the playoff and some bowls will still be played.

VN Store

Back